GPA and High School, Junior Year.

drdamon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Junior at a college preparatory private high school (I'm only including that because I'm not sure how this effects how my GPA looks), and I have about an 84/100 GPA. I feel like this is ridiculously low coming into my 2nd semester Junior year. I bombed sophomore year, failing 2 classes. I retook them in Summer School and received B's, although it doesn't change my sophomore year GPA. I also received a 70 for Algebra II 1st semester Junior year (I missed a month of school due to surgery). The rest of my grades from Junior year ranging from 79 to 92. Nonetheless, I managed to keep my GPA from dipping below an 80. My grades since freshman year really are just all across the board, from D's to A's. With the ACT coming up, if I score well enough on it (30 composite or above) do I have any shot at any school? I feel pretty bad right now but I keep working as hard as I can trying to pull it up, it seems like the odds are against me and life is trying its hardest to keep me from being a doctor but I keep trying and trying, and it sucks and I sometimes feels discouraged, but I keep trying. I just want some sort of reassurance while I walk on the road to being a doctor. And for me, that's an extremely bumpy road full of potholes. My extracurriculars are great, they range from Debate to pre-med, environmental science, plenty of community service too. I'm even trying to get a research internship over the summer. Any thoughts? I mean, I still have 2nd semester Junior year and 1st semester senior year, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Decided to continue studying as much as I can for the ACT and make up that D by trying to get an A in Algebra this semester. Hopefully I can work hard enough to overshadow my past. Posting this was kind of embarrassing since I feel like everyone here is so smart and perfect, it can be overwhelming. Especially since my peers and relatives expect so much of me. I went to calm down and take a nap. I was having a little freak out moment. Sorry if the post seemed "all over the place."

Posting this was kind of embarrassing since I feel like everyone here is so smart and perfect, it can be overwhelming.

It's not everyone. Just me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In the grand scheme of things, high school grades aren't very important. If you really want to be a doctor, no matter what grades or standardized test scores you have, you will achieve your goal. Don't be embarrassed. Just work as hard as you can to get into a decently good undergrad program and keep your grades up in college. Med schools don't look at high school grades. You can achieve your dreams. Good luck!

In high school I was in a similar situation as you. I was the kid who didn't study at all until the day of the test, constantly forgot homework, and really wasn't that great of a student. I seriously got a D in guitar class one semester, an easy elective class. But, I eventually turned it around after I found some motivation for myself. Mine was to go to one of the military academies. Yours could be to do well in school to go to a good college to then become a good candidate for medical school.

Right now, you just need to relax and focus on getting into a good college. Once you get there, it is a completely fresh start for your academics.

Also, maybe a constructive reaction would be to ask for advice on how to improve your grades. You appear very stressed, especially for high school. There are a lot of people here on this forum have been in that boat before and wouldn't mind offering you some advice on how to destress and better manage your classes.

In high school I was in a similar situation as you. I was the kid who didn't study at all until the day of the test, constantly forgot homework, and really wasn't that great of a student. I seriously got a D in guitar class one semester, an easy elective class. But, I eventually turned it around after I found some motivation for myself. Mine was to go to one of the military academies. Yours could be to do well in school to go to a good college to then become a good candidate for medical school.

Right now, you just need to relax and focus on getting into a good college. Once you get there, it is a completely fresh start for your academics.

Also, maybe a constructive reaction would be to ask for advice on how to improve your grades. You appear very stressed, especially for high school. There are a lot of people here on this forum have been in that boat before and wouldn't mind offering you some advice on how to destress and better manage your classes.

Thanks for the kind words. I talked to friends, counselors, parents. This semester so far has been leaps and bounds better, I'm extremely happy with my progress. I even got a 100/100 in history right now and a B in math. It's not so much not studying or even doing the work. I do all my work, all my teachers love me. I have great relationships with all of them and the dean even shook my hand once and told me I was a good kid. The issue is that, it just takes me longer to digest information. I know kids that read the study guide a minute before the exam and score a 100. I simply need to realize that isn't me. I have to sit down the day before and really put in time to study and know the material inside and out. All it comes down to is extra hard work, and so far, it's proven effective. Again, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it a lot. It's good to know that there are people in my boat and people I can relate to, especially here.

Reactions: 1 user