GPA Conversion - Canadian + American

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krnkrn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked around but I couldn't find any direct answers anywhere.
In Canada, all schools have their own GPA scale (some on a 9 point, others on 4, etc.)

This chart has been suggested as a way to convert GPA's to the 4 point scale for Canadian Schools:
http://studentsuccess.mcmaster.ca/students/tools/gpa-conversion-chart.html

How would I go about converting my grades to an American scale?

When applying to grad school is there a standardized way of doing this?

I'm just very confused with regards to how the process works. Is it the applicants responsibility to provide a conversion of your grades if your university followed a different system?

Members don't see this ad.

A 9-point scale, you guys using stanines up there? Yeah, it's generally your responsibility to make the conversions. 4 point scale maps on already, 9 point will require some math on your part.

In that case would it be different depending on the school I choose to apply to? Or is there a standardized chart (like the one I linked to in my post for canadian schools)?
I haven't looked decided on specific schools yet, but I'm interested to know where I stand - especially so I can compare myself to their stats.

I also noticed some schools in the US give out a 4.0 for an A and a 3.67 for an A-.
My school gives out B+, A, and A+. 80-89 would quality as A, and 90-100 as an A+. So how would I go about matching such grades?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to depend on the school. Your best bet will be to wait until you have your finalized list (a couple months before the deadlines) and give the programs a call. Some actually don't ask for GPA in your application... In those cases, I included my transcript and a brief note on converting Canadian grades which was similar to the graph you attached from McMaster. Mostly they need to know that an 80 is an A here, not a B as in many places in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
I think every school will have its own calculation, and looks at different GPAs (cumulative; major; last two years), but you could get at least an estimate by dividing your grade for each course (in grade point terms) by the maximum value (e.g. 8/9 = 0.89 ; 0.89= x/4, solve for x ;) ). You would likely get a slightly different final average if you converted each grade individually and then summed and got the average for that, vs converting the GPA for the degree/major/last 2 as a whole.

There is usually a table on the back of the transcript (or on a separate page) explaining the grading scheme; if there isn't, include it.

every school will do their own calculation regardless of what you state it is. they will also probably calculate it several ways (cumulative, last 10 credits, etc.)
also remember that gpa is just one thing schools look at. there should be an online calculator somewhere to weight and calculate your gpa according to the 4-point scale.

I think every school will have its own calculation, and looks at different GPAs (cumulative; major; last two years), but you could get at least an estimate by dividing your grade for each course (in grade point terms) by the maximum value (e.g. 8/9 = 0.89 ; 0.89= x/4, solve for x ;) ). You would likely get a slightly different final average if you converted each grade individually and then summed and got the average for that, vs converting the GPA for the degree/major/last 2 as a whole.

There is usually a table on the back of the transcript (or on a separate page) explaining the grading scheme; if there isn't, include it.

But if I solve for x and calculate it mathematically then I would be ignoring the schools GPA system where percentages are assigned to different values that may not match the mathematically calculated value that I got - which could give me a completely different GPA.

Unless youre suggesting I match the % I calculate per grade [8/9] to the corresponding 4-point scale number based on the schools grading system.

every school will do their own calculation regardless of what you state it is. they will also probably calculate it several ways (cumulative, last 10 credits, etc.)
also remember that gpa is just one thing schools look at. there should be an online calculator somewhere to weight and calculate your gpa according to the 4-point scale.

the problem is that different schools work on different 4-point scales

It's going to depend on the school. Your best bet will be to wait until you have your finalized list (a couple months before the deadlines) and give the programs a call. Some actually don't ask for GPA in your application... In those cases, I included my transcript and a brief note on converting Canadian grades which was similar to the graph you attached from McMaster. Mostly they need to know that an 80 is an A here, not a B as in many places in the US.

I was wondering so I could find out whether I'm even in the range of the right statistics to be considered for a program - so I could get a sense of the schools I'm considered competitive enough for

I just came across this and I'm wondering whether its a good source to use to at least get an approximation of what my GPA would be like on an american scale
http://www.sfsu.edu/~gradstdy/gpa-calculator-sfsu.htm

What do you guys think?
The problem is at my school there is no A- (an A = 80-90%) so I dont even know how I would match it up.

Would it make sense to use the McMaster sheet and convert it to a Canadian GPA and then match that up with this program for an American scale?

I think just call the target schools, and/or the relevant advisor at your current school. Or you could set up a spreadsheet calculating by letter grade / GPA (like the Mac table or ORPAS, which includes weighting), and then by %, using current and then target school grade scales, for various gpas...

But you know, some schools are notorious for curving down, and though some Canadian schools may be more generous than US ones with their scales, 90-95% grades are rare (1-2 and often none in the classes I've taken). Maybe there's some awareness of that for the more known schools? (or maybe not). I mean if you've got mostly As and some A+, a strong GRE, research experience, statement, and references, I'd think you'd have to be in the running somewhere. However much of a science universities pretend to make of grading, there's got to be a holistic aspect to the evaluation and some common sense. But yeah, call someone!

Unless American schools use WES for Canadian students?

Last edited:
I'd say finding a GPA calculator (like the one above) that lets you enter in all of your grades, course by course, is the way to go. The US has a similar "problem" in that some schools use the +/- system while others do not, and there's just no way (that I know of) to convert between all the slightly-different 4-point scales that might be out there.

As best I can remember, I never converted my GPA from my final undergrad institution's scale (which did not use +/-) to a +/- equivalent scale at any point, even if the program to which I was applying did use that system in undergrad. I say just pick one (the somewhat traditional 90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, etc. could be as good as any, or the McMaster sheet you mentioned) and stick with it. If the admissions folks have any questions, they can just look at the individual course grades themselves and go from there.

I'd say finding a GPA calculator (like the one above) that lets you enter in all of your grades, course by course, is the way to go. The US has a similar "problem" in that some schools use the +/- system while others do not, and there's just no way (that I know of) to convert between all the slightly-different 4-point scales that might be out there.

As best I can remember, I never converted my GPA from my final undergrad institution's scale (which did not use +/-) to a +/- equivalent scale at any point, even if the program to which I was applying did use that system in undergrad. I say just pick one (the somewhat traditional 90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, etc. could be as good as any, or the McMaster sheet you mentioned) and stick with it. If the admissions folks have any questions, they can just look at the individual course grades themselves and go from there.

Okay, I suppose I could calculate a 4-point scale GPA using the -/+ and then one using the traditional 80-89=B system and kind of look at the interval between those two GPA's as an indication to where I stand.

I think just call the target schools, and/or the relevant advisor at your current school. Or you could set up a spreadsheet calculating by letter grade / GPA (like the Mac table or ORPAS, which includes weighting), and then by %, using current and then target school grade scales, for various gpas...

But you know, some schools are notorious for curving down, and though some Canadian schools may be more generous than US ones with their scales, 90-95% grades are rare (1-2 and often none in the classes I've taken). Maybe there's some awareness of that for the more known schools? (or maybe not). I mean if you've got mostly As and some A+, a strong GRE, research experience, statement, and references, I'd think you'd have to be in the running somewhere. However much of a science universities pretend to make of grading, there's got to be a holistic aspect to the evaluation and some common sense. But yeah, call someone!

Unless American schools use WES for Canadian students?

Yes, I have heard that some schools do require Canadian students to use WES - but again, I think it varies depending on the school.