GPA Cut-Offs for NY Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohnononono

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a strict GPA cut-off for NY Med schools? (Specifically NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Mt. Sinai and Albert Einstein)
I really screwed up one sophomore semester due to family and medical reasons, but I have a really strong upward trend (4.0 all semesters since that sophomore semester). I currently have a 3.75 cGPA, but I'm afraid that is too low for these schools. Should I take a gap year to improve my GPA?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

@ohnononono, didn't you read the responses to your thread you started the other day? Several of us told you that your GPA is OK for those schools.

Last edited:
Thank you, I have and they were very helpful. I'm just wondering if a gap year would improve my chances, since I'm confident I can get my GPA up to a 3.82 by the time I graduate. The thing is, I most likely will not be able to leave NY for med school.
I'm sorry for posting twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I have and they were very helpful. I'm just wondering if a gap year would improve my chances, since I'm confident I can get my GPA up to a 3.82 by the time I graduate. The thing is, I most likely will not be able to leave NY for med school.
I'm sorry for posting twice.

I see. You are wondering if you should apply after junior year, when you expect your GPA to be 3.75, or after senior year, when you expect it to be 3.82, correct? That is a small bump, and it could help a small amount. But neither of those GPAs will sink your app at, nor get you a ticket into, the New York schools.

I think there are more important things at stake in considering a gap year, however. Is there something you could see yourself doing for a year that would allow you go grow as a person, and as a future doctor? If there is, then having that period of development, plus the added material for secondaries and interviews, would be more valuable for you and for your chances than 0.07 grade points. Or are you the kind of person who would rather have started medical school yesterday? If that's the case, the cost, both psychological and financial, of delaying by a year could be greater than anything you'd gain.

Like several of us said in your other thread, including the wise @Goro, you have a strong application. What you decide to do from here is up to you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There is a GPA cut-off at those schools, but I'm 75% certain you're above it with a 3.75

MDApps shows people getting interviews at Cornell with 3.7s and high MCATs

MSAR for those schools has a 10%-90% GPA of around 3.6 - 4.0. So you are okay.

If your aim is to get into those schools, then a gap year may help you get some better activities, which starts to matter more than numbers at their tier of school.

@ohnononono, didn't you read the responses to your thread you started the other day? Several of us told you that your GPA is OK for those schools.
I find it hard to believe this person. 3.7 GPA, research, 38 MCAT but asking for people to evaluate their chances? Trolling.

You've been on SDN for two years with over a hundred posts and you're still surprised by overachiever topics?