GPA for med school? sGPA vs BCPM GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Healthcare102

I see so many people posting about their sGPA and then others mentioning about a BCPM GPA. What is the difference what is it that med schools really look at?

Members don't see this ad.

sGPA is the general term, and is calculated differently between DO and MD programs; BCPM only makes sense for MD programs. DO programs do not include math (M) in the sGPA, but include "other sciences". The respective application manuals provide more detail for what's science and not.

And I beliebe they look at cumulative overall and science gpa for "minimums", and then once a person looks at it they will evaluate trends, etc. it seems likely that sGPA is more important, but a poor gpa for other courses isn't a good sign to a reviewer.

Last edited:
sGPA is the general term, and is calculated differently between DO and MD programs; BCPM only makes sense for MD programs. DO programs do not include math (M) in the sGPA, but include "other sciences". The respective application manuals provide more detail for what's science and not.

And I beliebe they look at cumulative overall and science gpa for "minimums", and then once a person looks at it they will evaluate trends, etc. it seems likely that sGPA is more important, but a poor gpa for other courses isn't a good sign to a reviewer.

OK so if I include math in that science GPA then it is only a 2.25 because I only took one math class and got a D because the final was 65% and I didn't so well on it.

It was an intermediate math so does that count? And also if my sGPA is a 2.25 is it possible to raise it to over a 3.0 with a post bacc if I do real well.

What is the average sGPA schools look for?

I think 3.6ish is the mean for matriculating students. Over 3.0 is probably required to get through an electronic screen.

You can do the math to figure out how many classes that is...