GPA Framing Help 3.3/3.12 and 33O MCAT Disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratmd

RatMD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats: sci - 3.12 cum - 3.3 MCAT 33O
Undergraduate degrees: B.S. Psychology B.S. Neuroscience
Master's Degree: Biology In Progress, current GPA 3.98

I began college at age 16 after graduating early from high school. I didn't care for it at the start but began to build an interest once transferring to the University of California, San Diego. My grades gradually improved as I matured through college but I was always a majority B student.

One professor lost a midterm grade of mine, leaving me with a D calculus grade. I took it again to get a B and it was wiped from my University GPA but not AMCAS. Should I address this in my personal statement?

Coming from a disadvantaged background where neither parent or any sibling got through college I've personally accomplished more then I could dream of already. Having gone from a Psychology major to Biology, to Biology Master's student was a major leap in what I came into college conceiving at age 16. I often overloaded with courses and haven't had a summer free of classes for the last 4 years. My question lies in how to frame my low undergraduate GPA. I know I didn't push myself to the limit at the start of my college education but I learned how to tap into my willpower towards the end.

I would like to get into an MD school but I'm getting feedback that DO's are more realistic for me. I half assed my application last year getting it in by September and waiting until the deadlines for secondary completions. I'm giving it my all this go but I'd like to make the best decisions in writing, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am new here. Was wondering if you could tell me how to start a new thread?

B i g "new thread" orange button on the top left side above all the other threads. Big Orange Button.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said in your other thread, you aren't competitive for MD schools, but if you have the money, go ahead and try. Also apply to DO schools this year, but a smart person would limit their MD app and go wild with their DO app. Your gpa is just too low for MD. If you really want MD you are likely going to need a SMP. Otherwise you should have luck getting into a DO program.

Last edited:
DO schools will be open to your story, with that MCAT you might even get lucky and get accepted to the more recognized DO schools.

OP:
No, don't address the D in calc, it's not a huge issue.

OP, I think in addition to DO schools, you should apply to your state MD schools and low tier MD schools as well as some accepting OOS schools, unless you're a resident of CA. Then there's no point. Then you should just apply to the other MD and DO schools... It can't hurt to apply to some MD schools, you have a good MCAT, you never know until you throw the line out. Get your app in JUNE 1ST!!! No later!!! Get your secondaries in ASAP... this IS important!!!!

I began college at age 16 after graduating early from high school. I didn't care for it at the start but began to build an interest once transferring to the University of California, San Diego. My grades gradually improved as I matured through college but I was always a majority B student.

One professor lost a midterm grade of mine, leaving me with a D calculus grade. I took it again to get a B and it was wiped from my University GPA but not AMCAS. Should I address this in my personal statement?

Coming from a disadvantaged background where neither parent or any sibling got through college I've personally accomplished more then I could dream of already. Having gone from a Psychology major to Biology, to Biology Master's student was a major leap in what I came into college conceiving at age 16. I often overloaded with courses and haven't had a summer free of classes for the last 4 years. My question lies in how to frame my low undergraduate GPA. I know I didn't push myself to the limit at the start of my college education but I learned how to tap into my willpower towards the end.

I would like to get into an MD school but I'm getting feedback that DO's are more realistic for me. I half assed my application last year getting it in by September and waiting until the deadlines for secondary completions. I'm giving it my all this go but I'd like to make the best decisions in writing, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reading

Hey I was in a similar situation. If I were you I'd write about transformation as a theme in the personal statement (i.e., started college young but have since matured and found passion...).

Really bring up your disadvantaged background. If you're the first in your family to go to college that is HUGE. It shows that you were able to overcome adversity. Something like: at first you might have been intimidated and/or lost without having anyone to look up to for guidance, but now you have found your passion and would like to become a role model for your community etc.

Your MCAT and master's GPA really show that you're a different person than when you started out. I think this will go a long way. I don't see why you wouldn't get a few allopathic interviews if you have strong letters, get your personal primary app in early June, and choose your allopathic schools wisely. You are very competitive for DO schools and are most certainly to gain acceptance to one.

Hope this helps. Good luck, OP :luck:

Like I said in your other thread, you aren't competitive for MD schools, but if you have the money, go ahead and try. Also apply to DO schools this year, but a smart person would limit their MD app and go wild with their DO app. Your gpa is just too low for MD. If you really want MD you are likely going to need a SMP. Otherwise you should have luck getting into a DO program.

If the OP is a URM they have an okay chance at MD. Don't they?

I think your best bet is just being honest. Your performance may have started weak but you ended strong, and that's really all that matters. Demonstrating confidence in your ability to overcome hardship despite unfavorable odds is admirable and shows character. Your MCAT score and upward trend in GPA lends me to believe that your lack of success this previous cycle probably had more to do with the timing of your application than your cumulative GPA. I wouldn't discourage you from applying to DO programs, but I think you'll be happy with the results if you apply early to MD programs.

I'd definitely apply MD in-state. Who knows, things could work out well for you. I think your improvement gradewise speaks volumes, especially with a 3.98 in your masters program. A resident that I worked with flunked out of college, took 5 years off, and then got near a 4.0 when he went back to college. With that said, he's currently a resident in a neurosurgery program. I don't want to give you false hope, but you never know what the Adcoms are interested in. Definitely talk about your growth/maturation as an individual in your PS and how that correlates to your grades and don't half ass your application this time :D

I would also apply DO. You seem like a good candidate for that program too.

Thank you for reading