General Admissions & OTCAS GPA (OT vs OTA)...be honest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tynkerbelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So it's been about a year or more since I last posted and since then I have finally reached the end of my baccalaureate degree journey. I have one more class to take in the summer and I will official have a BA majoring in Sociology and Psychology.

I'm still waiting for grades for 2 classes and then I also have to take the summer class, but when I am finished I should have an overall gpa of about 3.25 and major gpa of 3.4 for sociology and 3.1 for psychology. My associates gpa is 3.48.

I still have to take per-requisites which is going to take me a bit with money and time being an issue and I know I'll do well, but my biggest concern is that my grades from my very first school are horrendous and when all my grades are put together my gpa is a sad 2.65. Realizing that I don't even have the minimum 2.75 that some schools accept. I am considering trying for an OTA program in 6 months to a year.

Applying for a MOT program just doesn't seem realistic for me anymore. I even thought about doing a graduate certificate program in Disability Studies to prove I can handle Masters level work and because I was genuinely interested in the coursework but I doubt I can even get into that. I hate the idea of achieving so much after all my hard work to go back for an associates but this seems to be the path I might have to take. I'm a bit confused. I plan on doing extensive & long-term volunteer work and internships to strengthen my application and build relationships for recommendations, but is that enough?

Opinions? Advice? Very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact schools and ask if they'll do a last sixty credit hour review. Definitely ace all your prerequisites; If you don't, they won't see the potential. I was in this same situation!

Contact schools and ask if they'll do a last sixty credit hour review. Definitely ace all your prerequisites; If you don't, they won't see the potential. I was in this same situation!

Great idea. How did you strengthen your application?

I emailed and called for a formal review of my last 60 credit hours and asked, specifically what I could do to be a better candidate. I was told to retake 2 classes and my observation hours were fine. I said thanks so much for the feedback, you got it! And then said I would continue to observe anyway to stay fresh on OT, that I was intending on getting a job as an OT tech (which I did). Communication is key. It actually is a way to strengthen an application by showing good communication skills, your dedication, and your persinality has an opportunity to shine.

Reactions: 1 users