GPA too high? grade inflation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novafan3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone worried about getting screened out for a large difference in GPA vs. MCAT scores. I see a lot of people on the thread posting about 3.2's with 35's and I have a 3.9ish sGPA/cGPA and I know I will score right around there maybe a little less on the real thing.

Especially because I come from a pretty much unknown university out of the region, how would you approach this if questioned at all?

There was no grade inflation really, I just figured out what study habits worked for me and got my *stuff* together when I got to that level. I even took a few classes at a community college and a larger well-known university to increase my validity.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just get a high MCAT score now or later, and once you have it, no matter when, they can no longer say your GPA was grade inflated, just that you were unprepared and took the MCAT that way for the first time (foolishly).

HOWEVER, they can see your class averages. If your peers are generally a B+: that's grade inflation. B: that's fair and as it should be (IMO) but not inflation. B-: that's tough and normal at top universities. C+: that's grade deflation. C: ouch, you need help. C-: you poor thing (or stupid class).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just aim high. If the school has grade inflation then there's no excuse not to have a 4.0

It'll look bad if you have a 3.0 if its the same school

I knew a guy who had a 4.0 GPA and got rejected from WashU. When he called to ask why they said the main reason they rejected him was because his GPA was too high. They advised him to take a few classes at a nearby university and fail them all in order to lower his GPA to something respectable.

But seriously though, a 35 is in line with a 3.9 GPA. Even if your MCAT score was oddly low for someone with such a high GPA (say below 33), I don't think an adcom's reaction would be "grade inflation!" but rather that you didn't study for the MCAT as well as you should have.

Last edited:
Somehow I doubt any school would say to fail some classes. Besides, if you take a class at another university, then often the credits will transfer, but the grades are not transferable.

to OP: that's why there is a standardized test that everyone must take. It's great that you have a 4.0, but your MCAT score must also be equally as high. If not, then it'll look either that 1)there's grade inflation 2)you're a grade grubber/gunner/brown-noser 3)you suck at standardized tests. Then, apply to those top schools who expect to see top gpa/MCAT.

So much sarcasm in this thread.

Regardless of school, you're looking to be > 3.7 cGPA and > 31 MCAT to be an above average applicant and essentially be competitive. Your Alma mater and specific stats don't mean jack as many other variables come into play. Top schools will be expecting > 3.8 and > 34, usually.

^^That wasn't sarcasm. Seriously. You just want your gpa to be in-line with your MCAT score, or adcoms will not view it as highly.

There is not much difference between an applicant with a 3.7 or a 4.0. Once you're above a 3.7, your MCAT will make all the difference and determine the tier of school you will likely ge interviews at. Having a GPA below a 3.7 will hurt your chances at higher tier schools but still can be potentially overlooked provided you have a high enough MCAT, provided your GPA is not too low.

My post WAS sarcastic fyi. Contrary to popular belief, a high GPA is NOT a bad thing

You're fine.

I knew a guy who had a 4.0 GPA and got rejected from WashU. When he called to ask why they said the main reason they rejected him was because his GPA was too high. They advised him to take a few classes at a nearby university and fail them all in order to lower his GPA to something respectable.

But seriously though...

Somehow I doubt any school would say to fail some classes. Besides, if you take a class at another university, then often the credits will transfer, but the grades are not transferable.

^^That wasn't sarcasm. Seriously.

You are absolutely terrible at detecting sarcasm, are you aware of that?

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahaha, oh you guys~ This topic should have ended on one post.

OP, no. Having a high GPA is never a bad thing. Ever. As long as you come from a reputable institution (so maybe that's not an "ever").
having a 3.9/30 is much better than a 3.5/30

No idea who's telling you any differently.

hahahaha, oh you guys~ This topic should have ended on one post.

OP, no. Having a high GPA is never a bad thing. Ever. As long as you come from a reputable institution (so maybe that's not an "ever").
having a 3.9/30 is much better than a 3.5/30

No idea who's telling you any differently.

A 3.9/30 is still better than a 3.5/30 from the same "non-reputable" school.

Correction:
Ever.

When I disagree with someone on SDN then that person turns around and agrees with me I feel like apologizing and telling them reasons why their original point was correct.. :confused:

When I disagree with someone on SDN then that person turns around and agrees with me I feel like apologizing and telling them reasons why their original point was correct.. :confused:

haha, natural instinct I suppose.

I was just imagining a scenario in my head of an adcom reading the application of a student coming out of a community college with a 4.0/28 after 4 years, and thinking "wow what a ****ty school he came out of" opposed to if he saw a 3.65/28.

It was just a momentary thought, but probably not really valid.

haha, natural instinct I suppose.

I was just imagining a scenario in my head of an adcom reading the application of a student coming out of a community college with a 4.0/28 after 4 years, and thinking "wow what a ****ty school he came out of" opposed to if he saw a 3.65/28.

It was just a momentary thought, but probably not really valid.

Well I agree that a 3.65/28 from a legit university is better than a 4.0/28 out of a community college. I was thinking that a 4.0/28 from a community college is better than a 3.65/28 from a community college.

I graduated with <3.0 from a 4 year uni (3.75 average the last 2 years) and then took 35 credits at CC at 4.0 and got a 30+ MCAT. I have a few interviews so far so I guess schools aren't too concerned about the community college stuff.

Well I agree that a 3.65/28 from a legit university is better than a 4.0/28 out of a community college. I was thinking that a 4.0/28 from a community college is better than a 3.65/28 from a community college.

I graduated with <3.0 from a 4 year uni (3.75 average the last 2 years) and then took 35 credits at CC at 4.0 and got a 30+ MCAT. I have a few interviews so far so I guess schools aren't too concerned about the community college stuff.

Congrats dude, and good luck~

But seriously OP, No.

So in the past 2 weeks we have had a "Is my MCAT too high thread?" and a "Is my GPA too high thread?". Is it time to lock SDN?

So in the past 2 weeks we have had a "Is my MCAT too high thread?" and a "Is my GPA too high thread?". Is it time to lock SDN?

It's always been like this. You just got sit back and just watch the train pass by.
s3762.gif

Anyone worried about getting screened out for a large difference in GPA vs. MCAT scores. I see a lot of people on the thread posting about 3.2's with 35's and I have a 3.9ish sGPA/cGPA and I know I will score right around there maybe a little less on the real thing.

Especially because I come from a pretty much unknown university out of the region, how would you approach this if questioned at all?

There was no grade inflation really, I just figured out what study habits worked for me and got my *stuff* together when I got to that level. I even took a few classes at a community college and a larger well-known university to increase my validity.

Thanks!

Higher is always better. Always.

You're overthinking it.

GPA and MCAT can never be too high. But they sure as heck can be too low

OP, since I'm such a nice guy, I'll swap GPA's with you so that you don't have that unsightly thing weighing you down.

Should have thought of that before you studied hard in university

Don't worry. The higher your GPA, the better. Med school adcoms have way too many things to worry about than to worry about the grade inflation/deflation ratio.