GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They sent me an email. Nothing is different on my portal since I submitted my applications. I don't even see where you can see your overall GPA on there lol.
It's still early though. Did you interview at other schools?

okay. Gosh I hope they didn't forget about me! lol I had an interview at Touro, but won't hear back from them until the end of January. Will you be attending MWU?

Members don't see this ad.

okay. Gosh I hope they didn't forget about me! lol I had an interview at Touro, but won't hear back from them until the end of January. Will you be attending MWU?
Did you interview on November 5th as well? I had to put down my deposit for Midwestern by the 11th of December, so if I waited to hear back from Touro I would have lost my seat. I have an interview at AT Still in a couple of weeks though.

Did you hear back from them yet? I'll be happy to just get on the wait list or even better alternate list!
No I never heard back from Midwestern. I checked the portal about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it said I was missing my Bachelor's degree (?) which is weird because they said my application was fine at the interview. I emailed them and someone just emailed back saying that I had to send my transcripts over to prove I have my bachelors. So I did. and they have received it but they have not updated my status or contacted me. Frankly, this whole experience has left a "bad taste in my mouth" as far as Midwestern is concerned. I did, however, get accepted into AT Still, so that is exciting! I'll be putting my deposit down for AT Still and than my other school, UNM, wont even contact people about interviews until the end of January, interview Feb, acceptance notification by March. But, it's a relief to know I got acceptance into 1 school. Have you checked the Midwestern portal? I feel like, we interviewed awhile ago at this point, we should have heard by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No I never heard back from Midwestern. I checked the portal about 1 1/2 weeks ago and it said I was missing my Bachelor's degree (?) which is weird because they said my application was fine at the interview. I emailed them and someone just emailed back saying that I had to send my transcripts over to prove I have my bachelors. So I did. and they have received it but they have not updated my status or contacted me. Frankly, this whole experience has left a "bad taste in my mouth" as far as Midwestern is concerned. I did, however, get accepted into AT Still, so that is exciting! I'll be putting my deposit down for AT Still and than my other school, UNM, wont even contact people about interviews until the end of January, interview Feb, acceptance notification by March. But, it's a relief to know I got acceptance into 1 school. Have you checked the Midwestern portal? I feel like, we interviewed awhile ago at this point, we should have heard by now.
That sucks that you such a bad experience. That's how I feel about nova. They keep calling me saying I'm missing documents...my OTCAS application. But it was verified end of Aug and they just need to download it...it's all been stupid and the people sound like they hate life working there...I've given up on them. They were a last resort anyway because doing OTD hybrid seems like a very bad idea for such a hands on profession.

I had my interview at touro on Thursday, what did you think of the program?

That sucks that you such a bad experience. That's how I feel about nova. They keep calling me saying I'm missing documents...my OTCAS application. But it was verified end of Aug and they just need to download it...it's all been stupid and the people sound like they hate life working there...I've given up on them. They were a last resort anyway because doing OTD hybrid seems like a very bad idea for such a hands on profession.
Thanks. Yea. I feel like this whole thing is such a process and that there is a bit of a disconnect between the universities and the realities of all students have to do to get into a program, and the financial costs of applications and interviews.

Has anyone applied to or heard back from Shenandoah?

Did you interview on November 5th as well? I had to put down my deposit for Midwestern by the 11th of December, so if I waited to hear back from Touro I would have lost my seat. I have an interview at AT Still in a couple of weeks though.

Yes I interviewed at Touro on Nov. 5th. I haven't heard from MWU though.

I had my interview at touro on Thursday, what did you think of the program?

I thought it was different at first, but ending up really liking it at the end of the day and would love to attend there. What did you think?

I

I need to check my portal, but I'm having trouble getting into it. I'm sort of freaking out because I hope I'm not missing anything like you apparently were. However, like you said, we both had interviews so they should have all my files there. I think I'll call them tomorrow if I can't get into my portal.

I thought it was different at first, but ending up really liking it at the end of the day and would love to attend there. What did you think?

I definitely went in expecting not to like it but everyone was so nice and it seems like the professors really care about the students. I just wish they had some windows in that building!

When did you get your acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Pitt? The told me a few weeks ago that my application was under review but I haven't heard anything since. Also, does anyone know what the interview at Thomas Jefferson is like?

I definitely went in expecting not to like it but everyone was so nice and it seems like the professors really care about the students. I just wish they had some windows in that building!

Yeah, I felt the same! I am really crossing my fingers for Touro because I just heard back and did not get into Midwestern University. :(

Yeah, I felt the same! I am really crossing my fingers for Touro because I just heard back and did not get into Midwestern University. :(

Aww, I'm sorry! Do you have any other schools you're waiting to hear back from?

Has anyone heard from Pitt? The told me a few weeks ago that my application was under review but I haven't heard anything since. Also, does anyone know what the interview at Thomas Jefferson is like?

I interviewed at Jefferson last year, and i'm not sure if it's the same but it was a group interview. About 8 people or so, asked us group questions and we each answered, and then did a small activity. It was not as bad as I thought it would be BUT I didn't feel like they got to know me as well as I wanted (I ended up getting wait listed).

I am actually an undergrad at Pitt and also applied to their OT program. I have been in contact with the department and actually shadowed with a few people who got their MSOT's from Pitt (they were awesome and felt extremely prepared). From what I understand, last year first acceptances went out on Dec. 11th and the year before that they went out November 23rd. So, it should be any day now. However, I know everyone hears by mid January. I also applied to Thomas Jefferson, I haven't heard back from them yet, but I know they have a group interview and an individual interview. When I went to their open house in May, they said they also give you a tour of the facilities. Hope this helps and best of luck!

@othopeful92 thank you!! Yes i did. It was very laid back. Skype interviews only. It was with the program director. She asked two questions with two follow ups. It was pretty quick, less than 15 minutes.
What are your thoughts on Elmhurst not being accredited yet? I am interested in applying there, but it states on their website they won't get final accreditation until students are on Fieldwork II in 2018...

@OTfromIT that is correct. It is my understanding that that is how the accreditation process works for all schools. A school is not accredited when they begin to admit students, but if all goes as planned, they will earn accreditation before the first class goes to level 2 FW/graduates. I contacted people from AOTA/ACOTE this past summer, and was told that it is highly unlikely for a a candidacy status school to not receive full accreditation. I also went to an info session at Elmhurst, and the program director is very confident that they will get accredited without any problems. She seems like she knows what she is doing. However, there are still many things being worked out, such as faculty members and fieldwork site agreements. I would have considered going there if I was accepted and it was the only place I got in, but I was accepted to Rush and will be attending. I definitely think you should attend an info session or meet with the program director to see for yourself. I will say that I thought the program seemed a little unorganized, but that could very well be because this is the absolute first time Elmhurst has gone through the admissions process.
Thanks, futurechicagoOT! - that is kind of what I thought...this is a big commitment for students to apply for it not to pay off after two years. I am zeroed in on a different school, but I will apply here, too - I could walk to campus in 10 minutes, ha! Good luck at Rush, btw!

Aww, I'm sorry! Do you have any other schools you're waiting to hear back from?
Yeah I am waiting to hear back from Touro, AT Still, WCU, and a couple on the East Coast.

does anyone have any resourceful information about Lenoir-Rhyne's program?

thank you! I hope so too and hope you love the program you'll be going into!

University: UC Davis
Major: Human Development
Overall GPA: around 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 156,157,4.0

Volunteer: 250+ hours at 3 settings.

Applying: Midwestern AZ, Touro, U of W, EWU, Puget Sound, Colorado, USC, Samuel Merritt, Tufts, St. Augustine

Acceptances: n/a

Rejections: n/a

Interviews: Midwestern - AZ for 2/3/16.

I interviewed at Jefferson last year, and i'm not sure if it's the same but it was a group interview. About 8 people or so, asked us group questions and we each answered, and then did a small activity. It was not as bad as I thought it would be BUT I didn't feel like they got to know me as well as I wanted (I ended up getting wait listed).

What was the activity like? Did they give you like an ethical situation to solve or was it something different?

What was the activity like? Did they give you like an ethical situation to solve or was it something different?
We had to each plan a different OT based event...so my partner and myself's activity was we had to plan an event for parents who had adopted children from different countries...another pair had to design an event for senior citizens at a group home. I don't remember the other ones but it was a short activity !

Reactions: 1 users
We had to each plan a different OT based event...so my partner and myself's activity was we had to plan an event for parents who had adopted children from different countries...another pair had to design an event for senior citizens at a group home. I don't remember the other ones but it was a short activity !
What kind of questions did they ask in the group interview? Did everyone answer the same questions?

What kind of questions did they ask in the group interview? Did everyone answer the same questions?
Yes, they asked a question and each person answered. Typical things, like tell about yourself, why you chose OT, What you like about Jefferson, a time you were challenged and what you did to overcome, and I remember they also asked what direction you think OT is headed in / how it'll be changing in the near future.

Reactions: 1 users
University: ETSU
Major: Exercise Science / Physical Education Minor: Art
Overall GPA: 3.107 Last 60: 3.418
Pre-Req GPA: 3.272 (Oh A&P...)
GRE: V 150 Q 145 W 4.0

Extra-Curric: Vice President Exercise Science Club, Observation 515 hrs, over 1400 clinical hours Chiropractic, and OT Tech 153 hours and counting! Also, loads of experience creatively/artistically(career, hobby, and awarded).

30, non-traditional career changer from Graphic Design (3 yrs), to Chiropractic Therapist Assistant (2 yrs), to OT hopeful. Always had 2-3 jobs while in school and carried 18-20 hours.

Volunteer: Relay for life 3 years (w/awards 3yr. and team officer 1 yr.), Special Olympics 2013, Bake Sales/Jason's Deli's fundraiser for American Cancer Society

Applied: Milligan 6/14
Interview: Milligan 1/16/15 email, 2/27/15 interview day
Update:
Accepted: Milligan!! 3/6/15 So excited!! :soexcited::biglove:

I am considering applying to Milligan and I was wondering if you would provide some input since you have been in the program for a semester. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

University: Millersville University, Community College of Philadelphia, Montgomery County Community College
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.79
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-4.0
MAT: 418 (79th percentile)
OTCAS: Verified November 18th

Shadowing: 87 hours with hand therapists, pediatrics, equestrian therapy, while working full-time (14 hours still in progress)

Work Experience: Previous experience as a drug and alcohol counselor, a certified nurse's aide, and various other administrative positions in healthcare.

Applied: Thomas Jefferson University, Temple, Philadelphia University, Salus, University of the Sciences, Towson
Interviewed: Thomas Jefferson (3/7) - declined interview; Towson (2/16) - declined second round
Waitlisted: Temple (3/17)
Rejected: USciences (3/14)
Accepted: Philadelphia University (12/22)

I'm a little concerned about my OTCAS verification date--might be on the late side. Does anyone have any thoughts or insight on this?

Last edited:
University: Millersville University, Community College of Philadelphia, Montgomery County Community College
Overall GPA: 3.79
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-4.0
MAT: 418 (79th percentile)
OTCAS: Verified November 18th

Shadowing: 87 hours with hand therapists, pediatrics, equestrian therapy, while working full-time (14 hours still in progress)

Work Experience: Previous experience as a drug and alcohol counselor, a certified nurse's aide, and various other administrative positions in healthcare.

Applied: Thomas Jefferson University, Temple, Philadelphia University, Salus, University of the Sciences, Towson
Interviewed:
Rejected:
Accepted:

I'm a little concerned about my OTCAS verification date--might be on the late side. Does anyone have any thoughts or insight on this?
I think that's when I got verified and I heard back from TJU on Friday and Salus today. Salus is probably going to be too late if you haven't heard back...I gpt an early Feb interview and they're mostly full...

I think that's when I got verified and I heard back from TJU on Friday and Salus today. Salus is probably going to be too late if you haven't heard back...I gpt an early Feb interview and they're mostly full...
How did you hear from TJU and Salus? Email?

University: Kent State University, few general classes at Lakeland Comm. College & Cuyahoga CC
Major: Integrated Health Studies - Health Science
Minor: Psychology
Overall: 3.42
Prereq: 3.6-3.8
GRE: 152, 152, writing 4
LOR: 5 very strong ones, 1 being from an OT

Extracurriculars/Awards: Phi Sigma Pi Honor Fraternity member & was also the Initiate Advisor for 3 semesters & Alumni Chair for 2 at our chapter; PSP Service Key Award Recipient; KSU International Mentors; Dean's List

Shadowing: 140 hour internship at Millridge Center for Hearing Impaired, worked with preschoolers with many varying physical, developmental, & sensory integration disabilities. My OTR/L mentor was amazing & created the rigor of the internship to be that of a Level I Fieldwork, even though I've had no formal training prior to it. I did a ton of 1-1 work under her supervision, & created a few therapies myself. I have also observed/taken part in ~30 hours worth of speech, physical, and aquatic therapy sessions through my current job (see below), which although we don't interact with an OT, so much of my job description is related to it by motivating him & helping him do things independently under my supervision.

Work experience: Serving/hosting in a restaurant; Summer camp counselor (2 summers at a 8-week, paid camp; 4 1-week summer sessions as a volunteer); currently a full-time care provider (since August 2015) for a 19-yo quad with CP through the Level 1 IO waiver. I accompany him to all of his therapy (speech, PT, aquatics), his college class, oversee his hygiene & social needs, administer meds delegated by his parents, and the current endeavor is helping him get a job after a lot of vocational assessments. And of course, we have a lot of fun together - he teases me a lot about the Cavs :)

Applied: Ohio State, Chatham, Cleveland State, U Sciences, Phila U, Nova Southeastern, Towson, St. Augustine, Midwestern
Interview: Chatham (11/21), Ohio State (1/30)
Accepted: N/A
Rejected: N/A

I'm getting so nervous about being accepted... This is my second time around applying, after waiting until the last minute last year (HIGHLY recommend never doing that, first-timers!!). What would you consider my odds of being accepted are? My Nova, Phila, and U Sciences apps are currently being reviewed I believe, but it's been close to a month since I've heard anything from them. I would love to attend Chatham, but Cleveland State would be my next top choice - it just worries me that CSU doesn't take into account the LOR, which I believe is a good leg-up for me. I'm starting to think of a back-up plan in case I'm not accepted, which would apply to Kent's Ashtabula campus for their OTA program. I know that I'm made to become an OT, but I don't want to wait around another extra year to apply a third time as a 23-year-old if I can just work my way up the totem pole eventually :(

Last edited:
@OTfromIT that is correct. It is my understanding that that is how the accreditation process works for all schools. A school is not accredited when they begin to admit students, but if all goes as planned, they will earn accreditation before the first class goes to level 2 FW/graduates. I contacted people from AOTA/ACOTE this past summer, and was told that it is highly unlikely for a a candidacy status school to not receive full accreditation. I also went to an info session at Elmhurst, and the program director is very confident that they will get accredited without any problems. She seems like she knows what she is doing. However, there are still many things being worked out, such as faculty members and fieldwork site agreements. I would have considered going there if I was accepted and it was the only place I got in, but I was accepted to Rush and will be attending. I definitely think you should attend an info session or meet with the program director to see for yourself. I will say that I thought the program seemed a little unorganized, but that could very well be because this is the absolute first time Elmhurst has gone through the admissions process.

Hi futurechicago OT,

I have a skype interview with elmhurst tomorrow, and was wondering what kinds of questions did the program director ask, and how quickly did you find out that you were accepted?

@ceezy26 it was very brief and easy! Just be able to explain what got you interested in OT and why you want to be one, and why elmhurst. She asks if you have any questions for her at the end. I have not heard back about acceptance or denial. They said 4-6 weeks after the interview. Good luck!

Thanks so much! :) Best of luck to you with the rest of the process!

University: California State University, Fullerton
Major/Minor: Kinesiology/Gerontology
Undergrad GPA: 3.66
Pre-req GPA: 3.46-3.81 (I got a C my first time in A&P2, retook the course and got an A the second time. Not sure if they factor in the first grade, hence the range)
GRE: 157 V, 152 Q, 4.5 writing
Observation Hours: 40 acute inpatient, 50 hand therapy, 30 outpatient peds, 120 SNF
Volunteer: Hospice friendly visitor, volunteer in the activities department at an assisted living
Work experience: retail and reception since I was 16, OT aide at the SNF that I did my 120 hours since August
Other extracurriculars: member of Alpha Phi Omega, CPR/AED & first aid certified, Dean's list multiple semesters

Applied: Rush U, Chatham, Salus, UPitt, UW Seattle, UW Milwaukee, Temple, AIC, D'Youville
Interviews: Salus 11/05, Rush 11/20, Chatham 11/21, Temple 12/21
Acceptances: Salus 11/11, Rush 11/25, Chatham 12/04, Temple 12/23, D'Youville 02/09, AIC 02/17, UW Seattle 03/09, UW Milwaukee 04/18
Waitlists: UW Milwaukee 04/05
Rejections: UPitt 01/14

I think I'm good at interviews, haha. Pretty sure I'll be attending Rush-- the only school that would possibly make me change my mind is UW Seattle. Also, I'm a dark asian girl, if that counts for anything cynical.

Last edited:
University: UC Davis
Major: Human Development
Overall GPA: around 3.7
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 156,157,4.0

Volunteer: 250+ hours at 3 settings.

Applying: Midwestern AZ, Touro, U of W, EWU, Puget Sound, Colorado, USC, Samuel Merritt, Tufts, St. Augustine

Acceptances: n/a

Rejections: n/a

Interviews: Midwestern - AZ for 2/3/16.

hey when did you apply to Midwestern AZ, and how soon after that did they invite you for an interview? :)

Major: Health Studies/Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.5
GRE: 147,151,4.5

Volunteer: 88 in 4 settings not including time in health care setting outside of OT

Applying: Too many! Over 15 schools

Acceptances: Nova Southeastern OTD

Rejections: Mary Baldwin

Interviews: Mary Baldwin, BU, and Nova Southeastern

Hope to hear from Nova people!

University: Saint Leo University
Overall GPA: 3.63 (otcas) 3.98 (last 60 credits)
GRE: 146 V 149 qQ 4 AW

Extra-Curric: Substitute teaching special needs classes

Work experience: Rehabilitation technician and Sensory-motor cognitive coach for children with processing disorders.

Volunteer:Rehab hospital 200+ hrs, SNF 16 hrs, School OT 20 hrs, peds facility 10 hrs

Applied: FGCU, ADU, St. Augustine, Barry, Nova OTD, Nova MOT, Brenau, Westcoast Univ, University of Alabama at Birmingham

Acceptances:N/A

Rejections:N/A

Interviews: Brenau 1/22

Last edited:
I am posting here, because everyone looks at this page...From one current 2nd year OT Student to you future OT's here are a few tips for applying that I can give to you with deep honesty no bullcrap.

#1 Don't pay attention to the US News & World Report Rankings, they don't matter. They were made in 2012 and are outdated anyway. "All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. So essentially, it's a popularity contest amongst deans, people with a ton of power who make too much money, who vote highly for their friends.

---Do look at NBCOT Pass Rates for schools. This will tell you how many pass OT school, and actually pass the exam OT students have to take in order to become an OT. It's all great and dandy if you can pass OT school, but if you can't pass the exam...then you wasted a ton of money for a terrible education. Just look at Tuskegee University if you don't believe me.

#2 Tuition is expensive, but so too is housing/cost of living in certain places in the US. Obviously at San Jose State University in the Bay Area of California, the rent will not be cheap...But in other places like rural TN or ND rent may be as low as $400 a month for a single bedroom w/no roommates.
Look into instate public schools as well. UW-LaCrosse for example if you're from MN or WI, offers Tuition for $5,400 a semester...$38,000 for the program? Not bad at all. Especially when you compare to other places like outrageous places like...Creighton is super expensive their own website assumes the program will cost you roughly$210,000, and in Nebraska!!!!!!...That's medical school debt for not the salary of a doctor. so do your research before you apply to specific schools...

#3 Look at the requirements of your school you are applying to and read them carefully. Here is one I gathered from Jefferson College of Health Sciences...
  • An earned Baccalaureate degree with a recommended! GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Completion of the following pre-requisite coursework:
  • 6-8 credits in courses pertaining! to anatomical systems such as human anatomy, kinesiology, human physiology, and exercise science. This means essentially that if you did awful at anatomy, they can look at your A's in exercise science and kinesiology classes.
  • A minimum of 50 documented hours of observation (is preferred not REQUIRED)!
---And then of course you have your other programs that require 2 Chemistry's and 1 Physics class. We are not going to apply to Medical School...If you have them, great, go ahead and apply, otherwise it's a waste of your undergrad money to spend on expensive 4-5 credit classes.

Ask questions at your interview, can you see yourself there? Yes, if it's the only school you get into then it is hard to choose. But you are interviewing them too, they want to see an interest in their program. My program let's us choose where we do our Level II clinical Sites anywhere in the US as long as they can get an agreement in two years...child's play. It's nice, I can essentially get a job in the area I want to be in.
---Some places place you and you don't get a choice.

That's all for now. Sorry for the rants. Hope you actually read it all. Good luck folks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
Congratulations to all accepted!

Last edited by a moderator:
Major: B.S. Health Science & B.A. Psychology
Overall GPA: OTCAS 3.39 (Cumulative undergrad 3.6)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.36-3.6 (depending on school)
GRE: AW 4.5, V 151, Q 149

Extra-Curric: D1 student athlete, honor’s student, vice president of Psi Chi, student athlete advisory committee, ACSM certified personal trainer, high school soccer coach

OT Observation/Experience:
· 100 hours total at a pediatric fine motor camp, outpatient surgery center, post surgery rehab center.
· Honors co-op during my last undergrad semester, worked alongside an OT helping children affected by autism, SPD, ADHD. Wrote a research based reflection paper on the development of emotional-regulation and its correlation to pediatric therapy interventions 

Applied: Cleveland State, Ohio State, Shawnee State, Toldeo, University of Pitt, University of Findlay, & Davenport University

Acceptances: TBD
Rejections: Toledo & Pitt
Interviews: TBD

Any feedback on my application, information on the applied schools (interviews, acceptances, rejections, etc) & other comments is greatly appreciated! This waiting game is terrible...

Last edited by a moderator: