GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Major: B.S. Health Science & B.A. Psychology
Overall GPA: OTCAS 3.39 (Cumulative undergrad 3.6)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.36-3.6 (depending on school)
GRE: AW 4.5, V 151, Q 149

Extra-Curric: D1 student athlete, honor’s student, vice president of Psi Chi, student athlete advisory committee, ACSM certified personal trainer, high school soccer coach

OT Observation/Experience:
· 100 hours total at a pediatric fine motor camp, outpatient surgery center, post surgery rehab center.
· Honors co-op during my last undergrad semester, worked alongside an OT helping children affected by autism, SPD, ADHD. Wrote a research based reflection paper on the development of emotional-regulation and its correlation to pediatric therapy interventions 

Applied: Cleveland State, Ohio State, Shawnee State, Toldeo, University of Pitt

Acceptances: TBD
Rejections: Toledo
Interviews: TBD

Any feedback on my application, information on the applied schools (interviews, acceptances, rejections, etc) & other comments is greatly appreciated! This waiting game is terrible...

So I take it you're from Ohio too? Where did you get your undergrad? Our stats are fairly similar, and although my grades/GRE scores are *sliiiiightly* higher, I have nearly 0 sports experience and it seems like you have a decent variety of involvement. When did you apply to Toledo - I considered applying in late October, but I figured I was late to the game since they have rolling admissions. I'm anxious to hear from CSU (applied in early Sept), and I have an interview at OSU on Jan 30th.

University: Saint Leo University
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.63 (otcas) 3.98 (last 60 credits)
GRE: 146 V 149 qQ 4 AW

Extra-Curric: Substitute teaching special needs classes

Work experience: Rehabilitation technician and Sensory-motor cognitive coach for children with processing disorders.

Volunteer:Rehab hospital 200+ hrs, SNF 16 hrs, School OT 20 hrs, peds facility 10 hrs

Applied: FGCU, ADU, St. Augustine, Barry, Nova OTD, Nova MOT, Brenau, Westcoast Univ, University of Alabama at Birmingham

Acceptances:N/A

Rejections:N/A

Interviews: Brenau 1/22

I'm still waiting to hear from Nova MOT & St Augustine, but I'm not even sure my St Aug. application went through yet? Some of my docs say they were submitted but not accepted yet, so I keep trying to get ahold of the advisor but with little success.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I take it you're from Ohio too? Where did you get your undergrad? Our stats are fairly similar, and although my grades/GRE scores are *sliiiiightly* higher, I have nearly 0 sports experience and it seems like you have a decent variety of involvement. When did you apply to Toledo - I considered applying in late October, but I figured I was late to the game since they have rolling admissions. I'm anxious to hear from CSU (applied in early Sept), and I have an interview at OSU on Jan 30th.

Awesome, congratulations on your interview at OSU! Yes I'm from Ohio and I did my undergrad at CSU. I was thinking about retaking the GRE because I wasn't happy with my scores but CSU waived the combined 300 & only requires a 3.5+ on the analytical writing. I applied in September as well, but we probably won't hear from them for another couple months :(

I applied to Toledo in late september and found out I didn't get in on Nov. 2nd. After talking to one of their OT prof's she said their application process is mostly hard data like OTCAS GPA, GRE, and little to do with the writing sample. Good luck with your applications and thank you for the kind words!

I'm still waiting to hear from Nova MOT & St Augustine, but I'm not even sure my St Aug. application went through yet? Some of my docs say they were submitted but not accepted yet, so I keep trying to get ahold of the advisor but with little success.

Nova MOT sent me the email to make an interview video on Monday and I submitted it on Tuesday. They said I would hear of a decision in 4-6 weeks. I haven't heard anything from Saint Augustine yet so I was thinking the same thing. I haven't heard anything from and other schools. Where all are you applying?

Nova MOT sent me the email to make an interview video on Monday and I submitted it on Tuesday. They said I would hear of a decision in 4-6 weeks. I haven't heard anything from Saint Augustine yet so I was thinking the same thing. I haven't heard anything from and other schools. Where all are you applying?

I applied to Chatham (interviewed in Nov., placed on priority waitlist), Ohio State (interview Jan 30), Cleveland State, NOVA, St. Augustine, Western Michigan, Eastern Washington, Midwestern (downer's grove), Stony Brook (invited to interview Jan 22, but out of the country so I deferred it to March), Phila U, U Sciences, and Towson. This whole process is a huge test of patience!

Hi everyone! Been reading these for a while now decided to join in! This whole process is pretty nerve-wracking. Good luck to everyone!

Major: B.S. Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.6-3.8?
GRE: AW 5, V 159, Q 153

Applied: Ohio State, Cleveland State, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Minnesota-Minneapolis, University of Washington, Colorado State University, Boston University, University of Illinois at Chicago

Acceptances: TBD
Rejections: TBD
Interviews: TBD

Last edited:
Congrats on your interview at OSU! I also attended an info session last year. Unfortunately I didn't receive an e-mail for the Candidate's Day, but I remember hearing last year that not everyone that is accepted is given an interview. Do you know if only interviewed applicants are admitted?

My Stats are..

About Me: 23yrs old and this is my 3rd time applying to OT school; Graduated from University of Houston

Major: B.S. Kinesiology
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.9 (depending on the school)
Last 60hrs: 3.46
GRE: 142 V, 155 Q, 3.5 AW

Applied:
Chatham University, Texas Women's University, Texas Tech, A.T Still, Midwestern, UTEP (didn't finish application because I got accepted into another school)

Interviews: Chatham University, Texas Tech
Waitlisted: Texas Tech
Acceptances: Chatham University(Declined), Texas Women's University (no interviews needed)

I can't wait to start my grad life at TWU!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My Stats are..

About Me: 23yrs old and this is my 3rd time applying to OT school; Graduated from University of Houston

Major: B.S. Kinesiology
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: 3.5-3.9 (depending on the school)
Last 60hrs: 3.46
GRE: 152 V, 155 Q, 3.5 AW

Applied:
Chatham University, Texas Women's University, Texas Tech, A.T Still, Midwestern, UTEP (didn't finish application because I got accepted into another school)

Interviews: Chatham University, Texas Tech
Waitlisted: Texas Tech
Acceptances: Chatham University(Declined), Texas Women's University (no interviews needed)

I can't wait to start my grad life at TWU!! :)

Hi there! I have my interview for Texas Tech next week! Did you do the interview in person or online? Can you tell me a little bit about what they asked you?

Congrats on your interview at OSU! I also attended an info session last year. Unfortunately I didn't receive an e-mail for the Candidate's Day, but I remember hearing last year that not everyone that is accepted is given an interview. Do you know if only interviewed applicants are admitted?
You know, I do very vaguely remember hearing something like that, but I can't say for sure. I expect that the people automatically accepted would have amazing grades/GRE/observations and an impressive personal statement. However, if I had to guess, they'd automatically admit those people before the interviews, so they would already know by now.... But that's just a guess! I honestly don't know the definite answer.

Work experience: Rehabilitation technician and Sensory-motor cognitive coach for children with processing disorders.

Volunteer:Rehab hospital 200+ hrs, SNF 16 hrs, School OT 20 hrs, peds facility 10 hrs

Applied: FGCU, ADU, St. Augustine, Barry, Nova OTD, Nova MOT, Brenau, Westcoast Univ, University of Alabama at Birmingham

Congrats on your interview with Brenau! Are you interviewing for the day program in Gainesville or one of the programs in Norcross? Good luck to you!

I applied to OSU and haven't received an e-mail for Candidate's Day either. I spoke with someone at the admissions office in December and was told that they will be sending out interview invitiations through January. Fingres crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your interview with Brenau! Are you interviewing for the day program in Gainesville or one of the programs in Norcross? Good luck to you!

Thank you! I am interviewing for the day program in Gainesville! Where are you applying?

Hi there! I have my interview for Texas Tech next week! Did you do the interview in person or online? Can you tell me a little bit about what they asked you?

I don't quite remember, but the program is really nice. I remember on fumbling on a couple of questions. Just know why you want to be an OT and what type of characteristics OT should have. You'll be interviewed by 2 faculty and a student. You also have an essay. GL!

@othopeful92 thank you!! Yes i did. It was very laid back. Skype interviews only. It was with the program director. She asked two questions with two follow ups. It was pretty quick, less than 15 minutes.
FuturechicagoOT, did you ever receive an admissions decision from Elmhurst? It's been about 6 weeks since I interviewed and thought I would have a decision by now!

Hey! Here are my stats..
Overall GPA: 3.4 (3.36 OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.8
Last 60hrs: ~3.75
GRE: AW 4, V 148, Q 141

Applied: University of Texas El Paso, Texas Tech University, Nova Southern University, Winston-Salem State University, St. Scholastica, Brenau University

Interviews: Texas Tech, Brenau
Waitlisted: St. Scholastica, Texas Tech, UTEP, WSSU
Acceptances: St. Scholastica (2/17) UTEP (3/9), Brenau (3/10), WSSU ( 3/24)
Rejections: Nova Southeastern ( I believe I applied to close to the application deadline)

Last edited:
Thank you! I am interviewing for the day program in Gainesville! Where are you applying?
I applied to 9 schools, but Brenau in Gainesville and UAB were two that I noticed you also applied to also. I haven't heard from either. Maybe we will cross paths in the future. Best of luck!

Hi!

Major: Exercise Science in NJ
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7-3.9 depending on the program/required courses
GRE: V 151, Q 148, AW 4.5
Hours: 80 hand therapy, 7 equine therapy, 6 at a school, 3 nursing home

Applied: Virginia Commonwealth, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Pitt, Hofstra, Stockton, East Carolina (Didnt make it to second round)

Interviews: Hofstra (1/12)
Waitlisted: N/A
Acceptances: N/A
Rejections: N/A

I applied to 9 schools, but Brenau in Gainesville and UAB were two that I noticed you also applied to also. I haven't heard from either. Maybe we will cross paths in the future. Best of luck!
Thanks! Same to you!! :)

I applied to Chatham (interviewed in Nov., placed on priority waitlist), Ohio State (interview Jan 30), Cleveland State, NOVA, St. Augustine, Western Michigan, Eastern Washington, Midwestern (downer's grove), Stony Brook (invited to interview Jan 22, but out of the country so I deferred it to March), Phila U, U Sciences, and Towson. This whole process is a huge test of patience!
This process is definitely all about having patience and determintaion for the field. Have you heard anything from ST Augustine? I havent been able to get ahold of anyone there.

Has anyone heard from VCU yet?
They are starting to look at applications. I just received notification that I was denied admission, because my application was incomplete. Apparently they never received my GRE scores even though I sent them in October. Luckily it wasn't one of my top schools! Good luck!

This process is definitely all about having patience and determintaion for the field. Have you heard anything from ST Augustine? I havent been able to get ahold of anyone there.
I received a voicemail from Yvette almost 2 weeks ago, but I was in London & wasn't able to hear it until I came back to the states on Wednesday, and she just confirmed that my application actually was completed and they'll be reviewing it soon..... So I got an email 2-3 days ago from the Texas campus inviting me to interview! I was impartial as to which campus I wanted to go to so I think I chose Austin just because it seemed a little less of a sleepy destination than St Augustine. I'm looking at flights to Austin right now, and have until Feb 5th to confirm if I will attend. However, being in Cleveland, and shelling out like $550 for a trip, and being the only full-time care provider for a family who's going through total chaos trying to move into their new accessible house is kind of a hindrance, so I'm considering the alternative of a Skype interview even though I'd muuuuch rather prefer to get the actual feel for the school.

Woah I didn't intent for this to be such a lengthy post Any suggestions on what to do? Have you heard anything yet?

I received a voicemail from Yvette almost 2 weeks ago, but I was in London & wasn't able to hear it until I came back to the states on Wednesday, and she just confirmed that my application actually was completed and they'll be reviewing it soon..... So I got an email 2-3 days ago from the Texas campus inviting me to interview! I was impartial as to which campus I wanted to go to so I think I chose Austin just because it seemed a little less of a sleepy destination than St Augustine. I'm looking at flights to Austin right now, and have until Feb 5th to confirm if I will attend. However, being in Cleveland, and shelling out like $550 for a trip, and being the only full-time care provider for a family who's going through total chaos trying to move into their new accessible house is kind of a hindrance, so I'm considering the alternative of a Skype interview even though I'd muuuuch rather prefer to get the actual feel for the school.

Woah I didn't intent for this to be such a lengthy post Any suggestions on what to do? Have you heard anything yet?
Well that's awesome, congratulations! I still haven't heard anything from st Augustine but I have a few interviews this week at Nova Tampa and fgcu! Good luck!!

Hi all!

Major: Biology, Minor in Writing
Undergrad: Kean University
Overall GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: N/A
Hours: 120+ (80 in a pediatric/EI setting, 20 at Kessler Rehab)
Experience: Research Associate in Early Intervention study (2+ years experience), Piano teacher (focused on children with behavioral issues)
Volunteer: Girls on the Run, Big Brother Big Sister

Applied
: Seton Hall University and Kean University (I was really late with applications and did not think I was going to get in for the fall semester)
Interviews: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Acceptances: N/A

Very anxious and I'm hoping to get into SHU, since I am missing a pre-req for Kean (hoping to take during the summer!) Will keep everyone updated!

Hi! I'm interviewing for Brenau soon. How was your interview process and writing sample? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi! I'm interviewing for Brenau soon. How was your interview process and writing sample? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Mine got cancelled because od the snow storm that happened last weekend :( so now I am doing a skype interview next Friday.

I received notification from them on the 13th (of January). Maybe they're slowly sending out e-mails as they go through the applications?
I thought maybe they were doing that, but I figured since my application was already scored/looked at for early decision that I would be one of the first to hear, but I haven't. Hopefully soon! :(

University: University of San Francisco
Major: Communication Studies, minor in Economics
Overall GPA: 3.42
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: Q: 148 V: 153 Writing: 4.0

Extra-Currie: spent 2 years in South Korea working with children and teaching yoga

Volunteer: shadowed at an in patient clinic 20 hours, planned 100 hours at Stanford University Hospital

applied to USC for summer session May 2016

Acceptances: pending

good luck to everyone!

Well that's awesome, congratulations! I still haven't heard anything from st Augustine but I have a few interviews this week at Nova Tampa and fgcu! Good luck!!
I got
I got an email for st augustine about 2 weeks ago for an Interview.

I got

I got an email for st augustine about 2 weeks ago for an Interview.
I also spoke with them. They apparently didn't receive my GRE scores so we had to work on that but she said they will be emailing me for an interview soon. Good luck!

University: Cal Poly Pomona
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.5
GRE: N/A

Extra-Curric: Kellogg Honors College, Honors Ambassador, Activity Chair of Honors College Club, Kinesiology Club
Also worked as an activity assistant at a senior living facility for two years

Volunteer: 10 hours in SNF, 17 hours in Neurological Rehab, 3 hours in pediatric clinic, 7 hours in pediatric horse therapy, 20 hours in athletic training

Applied: Bay Path University, D'Youville College, Spalding University

Acceptances: Bay Path University

Rejections: Spalding University

Waitlisted: D'Youville College

I didn't have that high of a GPA or that many volunteer hours, but I still got in :) so don't worry!

Last edited:
Thank you! I just got an email today! I was surprised since they said the first week of March.

I got my acceptance email to Bay Path on Jan. 20!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! Are you attending?

I think I am going to go to the tour on the 20th and check it out, but I am leaning towards it as the other program I have heard back from so far is much more expensive. How about you?

I think I am going to go to the tour on the 20th and check it out, but I am leaning towards it as the other program I have heard back from so far is much more expensive. How about you?
I am pretty sure that I will be going. It was my number one school and I haven't heard back from any other schools. Which other school are you considering?

I've heard back from a couple schools, so I think I'll play the stats game now too :)

Overall GPA: 3.0
GRE: 152 Quantitative / 159 Verbal / 3.5 Analytical Writing (whoops)

Observation Hours:
70+ hours education
8 hours inpatient (stroke, spinal cord injury, TBI)
3 hours hand therapy
Volunteer/work:
2,100+ hours with AmeriCorps NCCC FEMACorps
Therapeutic horseback riding (~8 years)
Currently employed as a special education teacher assistant, and am an after school tutor

Applied: College of St. Scholastica, St. Catherine University, MGH Institute of Health, University of the Sciences, Bay Path University, Howard University, Midwestern (IL), Huntington University, Indiana Wesleyan University, VA Commonwealth, Chatham

Acceptances: -patiently twiddles thumbs-

Waitlist: College of St. Scholastica

Rejections: VA Commonwealth (required a GRE writing score of 4.5+), Chatham University

Interviews: MGH, Huntington University, Indiana Wesleyan University

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I've heard back from a couple schools, so I think I'll play the stats game now too :)

Overall GPA: 3.0
GRE: 152 Quantitative / 159 Verbal / 3.5 Analytical Writing (whoops)

Observation Hours:
70+ hours education
8 hours inpatient (stroke, spinal cord injury, TBI)
3 hours hand therapy
Volunteer/work:
2,100+ hours with AmeriCorps NCCC FEMACorps
Therapeutic horseback riding (~8 years)
Currently employed as a special education teacher assistant, and am an after school tutor

Applied: College of St. Scholastica, St. Catherine University, MGH Institute of Health, University of the Sciences, Bay Path University, Howard University, Midwestern (IL), Huntington University, Indiana Wesleyan University

Acceptances: -patiently twiddles thumbs-

Waitlist: College of St. Scholastica

Rejections: VA Commonwealth (required a GRE writing score of 4.5+), Chatham University

Interviews: MGH (flying out tomorrow!), Huntington University

I interviewed a little while ago for Huntington. They asked ~8 of questions, from what I remember; why do you want to be an OT, what is OT, a good/learning experience from observation, - difference between OT, PT, SLP, RN - , what would you do in __ situation (ethical dilemma), are you a leader/are you resilient. Hope this helps a bit

Reactions: 2 users
Major: Health Ecology Minor: Psychology and Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: 152 Quantitative / 146 Verbal / 4 Analytical Writing

Observation Hours:
80+ hours: outpatient, inpatient, SNF, Elementary School

Volunteer/work:
Plenty of Extracurricular activities as an undergraduate
1+ yrs exp as a psychosocial rehabilitation worker
3 yrs exp in employment/business services

Applied: Samuel Merritt, UTMB, UTHSCSA, UTEP, A.T. Still University, FGCU, Texas Tech

Acceptances: A.T. Still University

Waitlist: UTMB

Rejections: UTHSCSA(2 classes didn't meet req), Samuel Merritt, Texas Tech

Interviews: UTMB, Samuel Merritt, A.T. Still University

University: UNC Charlotte
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 3.95
GRE: 310 Verbal 158, Quantitative 152, Analytical 4.5

Extra-Curric: Kinesiology Student Organization, Campus Outreach

Volunteer: Around 50 hours, between UNC Hospital's OT Program and other various things.

Acceptances: UNC

Rejections:

Interviews: