GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Major: Psychology Pre OT (Minor: Small Business Management)
Overall GPA: 3.4 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.21 (according to Augusta at the moment)
GRE:
Verbal: 144
Quantitative: 147
Writing: 4.0

Extra-Curric: Step Team; Student Activities Board
Work: Supervisor in Retail for 3 years. I have had to train various people in various walks of life (age, religion, experiences, learning capabilities)
I have a brother on the Spectrum who I have helped over the years as well.
I am also a Resident Assistant.

Volunteer/Observation: Total 71 hours (OT observation): Rape Response; Hippotherapy observation, Orthopedic observation; Hand therapy observation; Vestibular Rehab Observation; Pediatrics/Feeding therapy observation.

Certifications: Certified Zumba Instructor; I will be getting my certification in AdIult and Pediatric first aid/CPR/AED in November

Applied: U of Sciences; AT Still Arizona Health Sciences; Brenau University; Augusta University, Philidaliphia University; Howard University

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: Augusta U (10/31)

I haven't applied to OTCAS schools yet but I am almost done, just need to submit my personal statement and I am good to go. I just hope I get in somewhere. I'd really like to get into either AT Still or U of Sciences. Any advice?
Update:
I applied to OTCAS schools last week and it has verified today! I have not applied to Phili U or Howard yet ( nerves are too bad :( )

UPDATE:

I just received an invitation to Brenau's Norcross OT program for November 7th!

Applied: Augusta U; U of Sciences; AT Still Arizona Health Sciences; Brenau U;

Acceptances:

Interview: Augusta (10/31) ; Brenau (11/7)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE:

Acceptances:

I will be there too!

Is anyone applying/ has applied and knows anything about Winston-Salem State University or Emory and Henry College?

Members don't see this ad :)
University: UC Davis
Major: Human Development
Overall GPA: 3.99
Pre-Req GPA: 3.97
GRE: 164 V, 154 Q, 5 AW

Extra-Curric: Work as a paraeducator at elementary school, internship at preschool/experience 1:1 with boy with autism, research assistant in aging/cognition lab and lab studying autism, VP/founding officer of pre-OT club, Arts-Music-Inspire club member (we did art/music with kids in hospitals and group homes), Davis Aggie Lions club member (community service), patient care volunteer with hospice organization, assistant riding instructor at equestrian therapy center (3 years, provided riding lessons to kids and adults with disabilities)

Volunteer/Shadowing: 202 total with 94 in skilled nursing, 24 in outpatient peds, 42 in elementary school, 42 in hospital/acute rehab

Applying: USC, Stanbridge College, St. Catherine University, College of St. Scholastica, University of Minnesota (Rochester), University of South Dakota (I have family all over and will go anywhere that accepts me!!)

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

I'm honestly so terrified of getting rejected. I feel like my stats are fairly competitive but I'm so worried they won't like my personal statements :nailbiting: Good luck to everybody!!

Extra-Curric: Work as a paraeducator at elementary school, internship at preschool/experience 1:1 with boy with autism, research assistant in aging/cognition lab and lab studying autism, VP/founding officer of pre-OT club, Arts-Music-Inspire club member (we did art/music with kids in hospitals and group homes), Davis Aggie Lions club member (community service), patient care volunteer with hospice organization, assistant riding instructor at equestrian therapy center (3 years, provided riding lessons to kids and adults with disabilities)

Volunteer/Shadowing: 202 total with 94 in skilled nursing, 24 in outpatient peds, 42 in elementary school, 42 in hospital/acute rehab

Applying: USC, Stanbridge College, St. Catherine University, College of St. Scholastica, University of Minnesota (Rochester), University of South Dakota (I have family all over and will go anywhere that accepts me!!)

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

I'm honestly so terrified of getting rejected. I feel like my stats are fairly competitive but I'm so worried they won't like my personal statements :nailbiting: Good luck to everybody!!
I definitely wouldn't worry if I were you. Also I love seeing fellow hospice volunteers out there going in to OT :)

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

If your app isn't accepted, I don't know who they would be taking?! Lol
You should have choices in where you end up--good luck!

Is anyone applying/ has applied and knows anything about Winston-Salem State University or Emory and Henry College?

I visited Emory and Henry and they are a great program! They currently have their first cohort so they are learning the ropes so to speak, but their facilities are impeccable and their faculty are awesome! The school is kind of in the middle of no where, but has a really great rural home town feel!

UPDATE:

Acceptances:

So your OTCAS was verified within one week?? I am taking my GRE tomorrow, and hoping to submit mine this weekend. I hope mine is verified quickly as well, since they say it can take up to a month!

So your OTCAS was verified within one week?? I am taking my GRE tomorrow, and hoping to submit mine this weekend. I hope mine is verified quickly as well, since they say it can take up to a month!
It seems to be depending on the volume they get. Last cycle it took 6 weeks for mine (december), this year like 5 days (early september).

Applying for the second time!

University: Stony Brook University
Major: Health Science and Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.4 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.7 depending on school
GRE:
158 Verbal
153 Quantitative (previously 148)
5.0 Writing (previously 3.5)

Extra-Curric: Internship early intervention preschool, various positions in a national sorority including Executive board, Out of State student mentor, English Pals, Emerging Leaders, Various academic awards and a Merit scholarship

Volunteer: 20 Hospital NICU/PICU, 90 Early intervention preschool

Applying: Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, NYU, Columbia, LIU Brooklyn, Boston, Chatham, NYIT, Touro Bay Shore, Washington (St. Louis)

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews:

Last time I applied to Temple, Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, NOVA MOT and Philadelphia. I got interviews to Temple, Stony, NOVA and SHU (Waitlisted to all except Stony) and denied from Philadelphia. My advisor told me that my biggest mistake was waiting until the end of December to apply. I will have my application submitted by the 20th of this month. I also got my GRE scores significantly higher than they were as well as acquired a few more hours. I'm feeling very hopeful about this cycle, but will also be applying for a Sp.Ed Masters as a fallback just in case.

UPDATE: Just checked my email and I was accepted to the first cycle of Stony Brook interviews (11/18). VERY excited but also nervous. Last cycle this was my toughest interview. But I'm going to start looking for interview help.

@heretoenhancelives @OT-TSS I have an interview for the Norcross Day program on Nov. 7th too! I'm am really excited yet nervous at the same time. Hopefully, we'll run into each other there. Good luck to you both!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes my OTCAS verified very quickly, like a week or so!

Hey guys,

Has anyone applied to University of St. Augustine (Florida). I received a phone call saying they needed to discuss my OTCAS application so I have to give them a call at 3:30 today. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. :sorry:

Hey guys,

Has anyone applied to University of St. Augustine (Florida). I received a phone call saying they needed to discuss my OTCAS application so I have to give them a call at 3:30 today. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing. :sorry:

I applied to the Austin campus. I had problems with my OTCAS application with them as well. They were not seeing my GRE scores or my last entry Of observation hours. They were very patient, I contacted OTCAS, and resolved the problem. So don't stress out.

University: Loyola University Chicago
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.88
Prerequisite: About 3.8 (Depends on school)
GRE: V 150 Q 151 W 4
OTCAS Verified: 8/16/16

Extra-curricular: VP of Psi Chi, secretary for Pre-OT club, president of Psi Beta at former community college, and member of a few other honor societies.

Volunteer:
Lurie Children's in the inpatient psychiatry unit and in OT/PT outpatient center (around 100 hrs,) intern and volunteer at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago in research/recovery unit and other areas (will be around 120 hrs in December,) revamped pet therapy program at RIC, health class volunteer for underserved elementary school in Chicago (around 20 hrs,) "Pool Pals" volunteer for aquatic therapy program (around 10 hrs,) also various shadowing experience from other places (inpatient, outpatient, and dance therapy).

Work:
Nanny for child with special needs, former assistant manager at a retail store, former pharmacy technician

Certifications:
BLS and First Aid

Applying: Midwestern (IL), WUSTL, and University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Acceptances: Washington University St. Louis!
Rejections:
Interviews:
Midwestern 10/31
Attending:

UPDATE! Accepted to WUSTL this morning!!

I applied to the Austin campus. I had problems with my OTCAS application with them as well. They were not seeing my GRE scores or my last entry Of observation hours. They were very patient, I contacted OTCAS, and resolved the problem. So don't stress out.

Just spoke to them and they were having the same issue. Thanks!

FutureKidOT, congratulations on getting into WUSTL!!! I loved talking with their incredibly kind and helpful admissions teams. I hope to be joining you, but am not too optimistic based on some weaknesses in my application. I really doubt I'll get in anywhere with my math score and low undergrad (although my undergrad GPA was affected by a medical condition, and after recovery, I did much better in my Master's). It's been many years since I've taken math classes, and while I'm studying very hard, I know how competitive the process is.

University: Willamette University
Major: History
Overall GPA: 3.51 (3.28 in my undergrad, 3.93 in my Master's)
Prerequisite: 4.0 for most schools
GRE: V 169 Q 137 W 5
OTCAS Verified: 10/27/16

Extra-curricular: Hospice care volunteer, Youth Advocate for young adults experiencing mental health disabilities, many others related to mental health research and advocacy

Volunteer:
65 work, shadowing, volunteering hours in a mental health outpatient facility with an OT (had the fabulous opportunity to administer the Adult/Adolescent Sensory Profile and use other OT assessments); 36 shadowing hours with a hospice program; 20 shadowing hours in peds; 16 in hand therapy; 14 in inpatient rehab.

Work:
Mental Health Counselor - Associate with two years experience of working with clients with significant psychiatric disabilities, specializing in assessment and treatment of early onset psychosis. Research Associate with three years of experience working in community action mental health and advocacy, multiple publications including a recent co-authorship of an APA-accepted manuscript.

Certifications:
Structured Interview for the Prodromal Symptoms of Psychosis, Co-Occurring Disorders, many others

Applying: Washington University St. Louis, USC, University of Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Pacific University, University of British Columbia
Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews:

Attending:

I wish I could see the admission staff's faces when they read my 169 Verbal/137 Quant discrepancy. Bet they don't see a gap like that very often. :confused: I'm re-taking the GRE's and am in remedial classes to help me re-learn material I haven't touched in over a decade, but doubt it will be high enough to meet their standards by the time the application cycle is over.

FutureKidOT, congratulations on getting into WUSTL!!! I loved talking with their incredibly kind and helpful admissions teams. I hope to be joining you, but am not too optimistic based on some weaknesses in my application. I really doubt I'll get in anywhere with my math score and low undergrad (although my undergrad GPA was affected by a medical condition, and after recovery, I did much better in my Master's). It's been many years since I've taken math classes, and while I'm studying very hard, I know how competitive the process is.

University: Willamette University
Major: History
Overall GPA: 3.51 (3.28 in my undergrad, 3.93 in my Master's)
Prerequisite: 4.0 for most schools
GRE: V 169 Q 137 W 5
OTCAS Verified: 10/27/16

Extra-curricular: Hospice care volunteer, Youth Advocate for young adults experiencing mental health disabilities, many others related to mental health research and advocacy

Volunteer:
65 work, shadowing, volunteering hours in a mental health outpatient facility with an OT (had the fabulous opportunity to administer the Adult/Adolescent Sensory Profile and use other OT assessments); 36 shadowing hours with a hospice program; 20 shadowing hours in peds; 16 in hand therapy; 14 in inpatient rehab.

Work:
Mental Health Counselor - Associate with two years experience of working with clients with significant psychiatric disabilities, specializing in assessment and treatment of early onset psychosis. Research Associate with three years of experience working in community action mental health and advocacy, multiple publications including a recent co-authorship of an APA-accepted manuscript.

Certifications:
Structured Interview for the Prodromal Symptoms of Psychosis, Co-Occurring Disorders, many others

Applying: Washington University St. Louis, USC, University of Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Pacific University, University of British Columbia
Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews:
Attending:

I bet you will get in! One thing I love about WUSTL is that they look at your app as a whole, not just bits and pieces. Every school wants a diverse student population, so having that background in mental health and having a masters degree will help you SO much!

Ive written here before, but now i officially know my stats and i'm done applying!

CGPA: 3.2 (OTCAS- bad freshmen year :/ )
PGPA: 3.5-3.7 (depends on school)
Last 60: 3.5
Gre: V 148, Q 145, A 3.5 (retaking 1-2 more times)

140 observation hours: rehab/nursing center, special needs school, pediatrics center

Work: 2 years (2,000+ hours) as a teacher assistant at a special needs school. NYS teaching certificate

College: president of psychology club, member of PSI CHI, internship at a head start preschool

Applying: west coast university, stanbridge, USC, sacred heart, NYU, columbia, seton hall

Waiting game now☹️ Hoping i'll get my gre scores higher by the beginning of december

University: Oregon State University
Major: Kinesiology Minor: Spanish
Overall GPA: 3.94
Prerequisite: 4.0
GRE: V-162, Q-160, AW- 6.0
OTCAS Verified: 8/16/2016

Extras: two years as an undergraduate research assistant, A/P undergraduate teaching intern, GoBabyGo Program, involved with my campus ministry, mission trips to Canada/Guatemala, and greek life.

OT Hours: 108 between hand therapy, in patient rehabilitation center, hospital, and OT who did home visits.

Applied: IUPUI, WUSTL (OTD), RUSH, Colorado State
Interviews: IUPUI (10/28) - declined
Accepted: WUSTL (10/27)
Attending: WUSTL -- I plan to take my name off of the lists at the other schools once WUSTL confirms they have my deposit/other basic paperwork. It was my top choice and while the cost is a little scary, I think I can make it work and be smart about my financial aid.

I also wanted to say that I've been reading this forum for the last six months or so, and it is SO exciting to watch people get accepted to their dream programs. Chin up guys, it's still early in the cycle! Wishing the best to you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I bet you will get in! One thing I love about WUSTL is that they look at your app as a whole, not just bits and pieces. Every school wants a diverse student population, so having that background in mental health and having a masters degree will help you SO much!

Hey, thanks so much!! It's nice to have a little hope. I love OT and using sensory-integrated approaches with young people struggling with sensitivity due to autism, psychosis. etc. and they have just worked wonders. I see their eyes light up when something that seemed out of their reach (like emotion recognition) suddenly becomes tangible.

Btw, if in your coursework you ever come across early intervention for psychosis and are curious about its programs, send me a msg and I can let you know what services are in your area. Most professionals don't expect to encounter it, but with the higher marijuana and meth usages these days, I'm getting more and more inquiries from OTs.

University: Oregon State University
Major: Kinesiology Minor: Spanish
Overall GPA: 3.94
Prerequisite: 4.0
GRE: V-162, Q-160, AW- 6.0
OTCAS Verified: 8/16/2016

Extras: two years as an undergraduate research assistant, A/P undergraduate teaching intern, GoBabyGo Program, involved with my campus ministry, mission trips to Canada/Guatemala, and greek life.

OT Hours: 108 between hand therapy, in patient rehabilitation center, hospital, and OT who did home visits.

Applied: IUPUI, WUSTL (OTD), RUSH, Colorado State
Accepted: WUSTL
Attending: WUSTL -- I plan to take my name off of the lists at the other schools once WUSTL confirms they have my deposit/other basic paperwork. It was my top choice and while the cost is a little scary, I think I can make it work and be smart about my financial aid.

I also wanted to say that I've been reading this forum for the last six months or so, and it is SO exciting to watch people get accepted to their dream programs. Chin up guys, it's still early in the cycle! Wishing the best to you all!

Congratulations!!! Glad to see a fellow Oregonian getting into OT! My gosh, you should do GRE tutoring with those states. One great thing about financing OT education is that there are a LOT of loan forgiveness programs (Americorps, Indian Health, etc.) and high sign-on bonuses for OTs. My employers are offering $15,000. While it doesn't totally take the edge off the cost, it's a major advantage to be in a field that both rare and in demand. :)

Congratulations!!! Glad to see a fellow Oregonian getting into OT! My gosh, you should do GRE tutoring with those states. One great thing about financing OT education is that there are a LOT of loan forgiveness programs (Americorps, Indian Health, etc.) and high sign-on bonuses for OTs. My employers are offering $15,000. While it doesn't totally take the edge off the cost, it's a major advantage to be in a field that both rare and in demand. :)

Thank you! I'm a PNW girl, but I'm excited to go to school somewhere else in the country and maybe work my way back some day. I've definitely looked into loan forgiveness and some other options, and I'll continue to do so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Last edited:

I applied to Emory but I'm in the same boat as you. I've searched on this forum but haven't found anything. :whistle:

Update!

University: CSU Monterey Bay
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.3-3.4 (depending on school)

Experience: Respite provider for 3 years, currently 1 1/2+ years as ABA therapist, and newly, an instructional aide within an elementary school

OT hours: 100+ hours at 2 different pediatric clinic, 50 hours at hospital inpatient, 20+ at skilled nursing facility, 32 hours at orthopedic pre-school

Applied: Loma Linda, Touro U, AT Still, Midwestern U, Texas Tech, Davenport U, Springfield U, D'youville U, Indiana U, Sacred Heart U

Might apply to: WCU, MCPHS (depending on other schools)

Interviews: Midwestern U, Loma Linda, AT Still, waitlisted for interview at Indiana U

Acceptances: none so far :(

Rejections: Midwestern :(

Feedback would be great! Anyone else applied to any of these? The waiting game sucks!

Update!

Experience: Respite provider for 3 years, currently 1 1/2+ years as ABA therapist, and newly, an instructional aide within an elementary school

OT hours: 100+ hours at 2 different pediatric clinic, 50 hours at hospital inpatient, 20+ at skilled nursing facility, 32 hours at orthopedic pre-school

Applied: Loma Linda, Touro U, AT Still, Midwestern U, Texas Tech, Davenport U, Springfield U, D'youville U, Indiana U, Sacred Heart U

Interviews: Midwestern U, Loma Linda, AT Still, waitlisted for interview at Indiana U

Feedback would be great! Anyone else applied to any of these? The waiting game sucks!

I applied to At Still and I am planning on applying to Midwestern tomorrow. I applied to At Still October 7th and still haven't heard back about an interview. How long did it take for you to hear back and when did you apply there? Good luck on your interview! I agree the waiting game is terrible!

Does anyone know how much tuition costs for the University of the Sciences?

Update!

You applied to some of the same programs I applied to last year ☺
I am currently at Sacred Heart and I love it!

Good luck!

Update!

HI! I applied to AT Still, Touro, and Loma Linda and I had my interview for AT Still early this month and received my acceptance email last week. I am still waiting to hear back from Touro and Loma Linda though.
Do you have an interview with Touro? And have you been asked to make a video for Loma Linda?

HI! I applied to AT Still, Touro, and Loma Linda and I had my interview for AT Still early this month and received my acceptance email last week. I am still waiting to hear back from Touro and Loma Linda though.
Do you have an interview with Touro? And have you been asked to make a video for Loma Linda?

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance! I applied to At Still in early October and still haven't heard back for an interview. When did you apply and hear back from them?

Update!

I applied to WCU, MCPHS and Midwestern as well!

I wish I could see the admission staff's faces when they read my 169 Verbal/137 Quant discrepancy. Bet they don't see a gap like that very often. :confused: I'm re-taking the GRE's and am in remedial classes to help me re-learn material I haven't touched in over a decade, but doubt it will be high enough to meet their standards by the time the application cycle is over.

Ha, mine is almost the same! 164 and 149. I even paid for a tutor to help me with the quant stuff, but I've been out of school for 10 years, and alwaysssss hated math. Good luck!

University: Saint Mary's College, IN
Major: Political Science
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Q149 V164 AW4.5

Volunteer/Observation: 70 hours pediatric clinic, 30 hours SNF, 40 hours hand therapy

Applied: Rush, UIC, Colorado State, Ohio State, Winston-Salem State, Chatham, Puget Sound
Interviews: Chatham (11/19)
Accepted:
Attending:

I feel like my stats are so incredibly middle of the road, and acceptance to some schools seems so arbitrary. Here's hoping my personal essay was good enough!

Hi! Congratulations on your acceptance! I applied to At Still in early October and still haven't heard back for an interview. When did you apply and hear back from them?
Thank you!
I applied mid September and I received an email to schedule an interview September 29th. Don't give up hope! I know they interview in January and February so you might be hearing from them soon!

University: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major: Human Development and Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.36
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 152 Verbal, 157 Quantitative, 3.0 Writing :unsure:

Extra-Curric: Worked in a daycare for 3+ years, summer camp counselor, Ambassador in my major, Mentor for high school students, Dean's List, Teaching Assistant,

Volunteer: 50+ Hours Observations in Pediatric Outpatient and Acute inpatient , 160 hours administering Bayley III Screening, Volunteer at several different locations (hospital, nursery, etc.)

Applied: UIC, Midwestern, ATSU, U Florida, Wash U, South Alabama, Texas- El Paso, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Elmhurst College

Application Verified by OTCAS: October 12, 2016

Acceptances: WASHU

Rejections:

Interviews: ATSU

What do you all think of my stats? Do you think I have a chance getting into any of these programs??
**UPDATE**
Got accepted into WASHU today!! 11/17. People with lower numbers don't feel discouraged!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Ha, mine is almost the same! 164 and 149. I even paid for a tutor to help me with the quant stuff, but I've been out of school for 10 years, and alwaysssss hated math. Good luck!

To you too! So nice to hear from someone who is also returning to school and going through this process. I managed to get my 137 up to a 144, and am studying hard to get it up further. I hope the admissions teams will at least take improvement into account. Best wishes!

Has anyone heard back from Eastern Washington University? And maybe share stats too?

University: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major: Human Development and Family Studies
Overall GPA: 3.36
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 152 Verbal, 157 Quantitative, 3.0 Writing :unsure:

Extra-Curric: Worked in a daycare for 3+ years, summer camp counselor, Ambassador in my major, Mentor for high school students, Dean's List, Teaching Assistant,

Volunteer: 50+ Hours Observations in Pediatric Outpatient and Acute inpatient , 160 hours administering Bayley III Screening, Volunteer at several different locations (hospital, nursery, etc.)

Applied: UIC, Midwestern, ATSU, U Florida, Wash U, South Alabama, Texas- El Paso, Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Elmhurst College

Application Verified by OTCAS: October 12, 2016

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

What do you all think of my stats? Do you think I have a chance getting into any of these programs??

**Update #2** Got an invitation to interview at ATSU today 11/18! Not sure if I will go since I already got accepted into WUSTL but thought I would share in case others are wondering about ATSU. Good Luck to everyone and I hope you're getting good news too!

Last edited:
**UPDATE**
Got accepted into WASHU today!! 11/17. People with lower numbers don't feel discouraged!
Wow you are a rockstar! Congrats to you! It's a great school. If you have time go to a softball game! My old college coach is now a head coach there. Great campus!

Has anyone heard back from the University of Pittsburgh yet?? I'm so nervous!

University: University of Virginia
Major: Cognitive Science
Overall GPA: 3.53 according to OTCAS (3.31 from 2 years at UVA, transferred from George Mason Univ. with a 3.96, and took a couple courses at community college with a 4.0)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: 148 v, 152 Q, 4.0 AW

Applied to: MGH Institute, Sacred Heart University, Springfield College, Thomas Jefferson University, University of New England, Boston University, Tufts, Columbia, Worcester State University

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: University of New England (11/11)

Still waiting to hear back from everything else. I hope they take into account the academic rigor because I feel like I'm an incredibly average applicant :/ hopefully I'll get in somewhere!

Last edited:
Update #3: Accepted to Brenau!!
I will be interviewing for Brenau's main campus in January. Do you have any advice on the best way I should prepare or on what to expect? Anything would be appreciated!

I have been following this forum for a while now, but have not posted my stats, so here goes! I am praying to get in somewhere this year! Has anyone else applied to any of these schools? I'm not done with all of my applications yet, but I just thought I would try to get opinions/advice? I also was wondering what you all did to boost GRE scores? Mine were not so great the first time, and I definitely studied a lot! I am not a good standardized test taker, so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions?

University:
Radford University
Major: Social Work Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.42 according to Otcas, bad Freshman year :(
Last 60 cred: 3.83
Prereq GPA: 3.5-3.7 (depending on school)
GRE: Not so great!! Retaking very soon!

Volunteer/Observation/Work Experience:
50.5 hours at a pediatric outpatient clinic, 30.5 hours at an adult/children outpatient clinic, 30 hours at a skilled nursing facility, 80 hours as a CNA, 1000+ hours at a summer camp for children (over 3 years), 120 hours as an intern at a disability resource office, specifically with the deaf population, as well as people with special needs, 50 hours at a homeless shelter, currently: assistant teacher at an early learning center with children 6 weeks to 5 years old, interning at a skilled nursing facility (400 hours when completed)

Certifications:
CPR/First Aid, Psi Chi honors society, BSW Admissions, Deans list
Applying: Radford University, Murphy-Deming College of Health Sciences, Jefferson College of Health Sciences, VCU, WSSU, Towson, Shenandoah University
Acceptances:
Rejections:
Interviews:
Attending:

hey! I didn't apply to any of the same programs as you, but I can let you know what I did to study for the GRE--it worked well for me, maybe it will for you!

I used the free Magoosh app for GRE vocab. The app includes several 'decks' of cards with different levels of difficulty. This is pretty much the only thing I used for vocab, and I think it was pretty helpful.

Other than that, my local library had a Kaplan GRE book, so I used that book to gain online access to the Kaplan GRE review tests and practice sessions (by making an account and registering with the book # on the website). There were so so so many practice questions and sections, and some full length practice tests, and I really do think that they were pretty similar to the test (if anything, I found the Kaplan review to be a little harder than the GRE, which I was fine with).

Lastly, I think the thing that helped me most was sitting in the library computer section and taking timed tests. ETS offers a few full length practice tests, and Kaplan does as well. I'm sure you can find others if you look. I took the GRE on the computer, as I think most people do. So getting in the mindset and sitting at the public computer for several hours at a time helped me get used to the testing environment.

So, I didn't pay for anything in order to study for the GRE, and I do think that these tools were very helpful.

Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
hey! I didn't apply to any of the same programs as you, but I can let you know what I did to study for the GRE--it worked well for me, maybe it will for you!

I used the free Magoosh app for GRE vocab. The app includes several 'decks' of cards with different levels of difficulty. This is pretty much the only thing I used for vocab, and I think it was pretty helpful.

Other than that, my local library had a Kaplan GRE book, so I used that book to gain online access to the Kaplan GRE review tests and practice sessions (by making an account and registering with the book # on the website). There were so so so many practice questions and sections, and some full length practice tests, and I really do think that they were pretty similar to the test (if anything, I found the Kaplan review to be a little harder than the GRE, which I was fine with).

Lastly, I think the thing that helped me most was sitting in the library computer section and taking timed tests. ETS offers a few full length practice tests, and Kaplan does as well. I'm sure you can find others if you look. I took the GRE on the computer, as I think most people do. So getting in the mindset and sitting at the public computer for several hours at a time helped me get used to the testing environment.

So, I didn't pay for anything in order to study for the GRE, and I do think that these tools were very helpful.

Good luck!!

Thank you so much!! I will definitely be taking your advice!