GPPA vs UChicago vs Cornell vs Wellesley

aryaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into the four aforementioned and I'm super conflicted. On one hand, I really like UChicago and Wellesley (I haven't visited Cornell so idk). On the other hand, I know medical school is super hard to get into and that a guaranteed spot in medical school is super valuable.
But I also got assigned to the Rockford campus for medical school at UIC and I at least wanted the Chicago campus. I've tried looking up info about the Rockford campus and I think they said that it's hard to prepare for specialities or something like that? I want to go into anesthesiology and I don't know if the Rockford campus will prepare me for that?

I'm super conflicted and if anyone could give me any advice or info about the Rockford UIC medical school, I would be so grateful!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get into a 4+4 it's very unlikely that you won't be able to get into med school later on, and there's a chance that you can even get into a better one.

UChicago is pretty famous for it's intensity and grade deflation.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many horror stories about GPA destroyed in UChicago or Cornell. Remember there will be MANY, MANY smart kids just like you in those schools to fight for the A's. If you are better than half of them and get a 3.5 cGPA or sGPA, you probably can not make to UIC medical school, which has higher GPA requirements. I know many smart Illinois kids from many good schools eventually got into Rush, Rosalin, Loyola, not UIC, and spent much more on their medical education. If you want to get into anesthesiology, kill the Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going to be a small fish among HUGE fish.

For environment, UIC campus is no match of any of the other three, especially Wellesley. But when you are busy and stressed to fight for As, build up resume; you may not have much time to enjoy that environment.

Thank you so much for your advice everyone!!! I've decided to commit to the GPPA program bc it was too good of an opportunity (esp since I can graduate undergrad early and maybe even pursue a masters during my gap year btw medical school and undergrad).

I really wanted to go to UChicago because I knew it beat UIC in terms of the undergrad experience hands down and because my mom went there, but you all raised valid points. The last comment really struck me and I know that GPPA is ultimately the best path for me if I want to become a doctor.

Once again, thank you everyone!!!!

OP, wise choice. Good luck and enjoy your college life!

Having been through a good portion of GPPA, I am qualified to speak on this issue. Below I've included one of my previous responses on this topic:

Not too long ago, I was accepted to UChicago and UIC's GPPA program just like the OP. I know many students that have attended U of C and are attending U of C currently, and I myself have been through a good portion of the GPPA program. I read this chat and sought to dispel the numerous atrocious misconceptions about GPPA by many people who have never attended it.

Growing up, U of C was my own and only dream. From its cerebral and philosophical campus culture to its groundbreaking research, and even its incredible gothic architecture, the University held me enthralled. But....here's why such a great lover of U of C chose GPPA instead. Not because I was unambitious and wanted an easy route. but because I realized that the opportunities at GPPA far outweighed those of U of C. Here below are just some of the benefits of GPPA

UIC GPPA Undergrad perks
1) Each of your peers in the program have gotten into elite schools such as Harvard, Stanford, etc. You will frequently be surrounded by incredible minds.

2) GPPA offers much freedom to do things that interest you outside the mundane pre-medical e.c's of volunteering and shadowing doctors. GPPA students have done things like starting businesses, traveled to foreign countries to learn classic european painting styles, and many more. These substantial e.c's are the reason that we have a rich history of Gates-Cambridge Scholars, Truman scholars, and specifically for the sciences Goldwater scholars. Also, because students are not bound to the program, many apply out. Often, these students get into med schools like Stanford, Columbia, and UMichigan with massive merit scholarships

3) UIC and it's medical school are located in the Illinois Medical District, where some of the most groundbreaking research in the country takes place. Many labs here are on par with and often supersede the labs at U of C. For example, the Orthopedics Department at Rush is ranked 4th in the nation when it comes to research output.

4) You are offered classes at the medical school in subjects such as "The Evolution of Medicine" and are mentored by GPPA faculty that are WELL renowned in academic circles. In fact, the director of the program was tasked with putting together the convention of the 40th ish anniversary of the discovery of the DNA double helix. Rec letters from such people are tremendously valuable.

5) Maintaining a 3.5 gpa at UIC for the program is fairly easy. U of C's Core Curriculum, which all students are required to take, is reasonably challenging. Taking pre-med courses at U of C can make your gpa take a serious hit if your not careful. Additionally, you only need a 510 ish (not terribly challenging) MCAT score to matriculate to UIC's medical school. The program faculty really don't like to kick people out, so you have ample chances.

6) Although UIC is a state school, it does have many incredibly brilliant students. However, they make up a much smaller percent of the population at UIC than they do at U of C. This means that it is easier for ambitious students to take advantage of the best resources (nominations for national scholarships, funding for startups, etc.) at UIC, whose counterparts at U of C are HEAVILY competed for. Also, GPPA medicine students have a ton of street cred at UIC and are seriously considered by faculty for these opportunities and resources.

UIC Medical School Perks
1) Although UIC COM (College of Medicine) doesn't have the same "name" as Northwestern's or UChicago's medical school. It has the same number, or even larger numbers, of students that match in the top residencies of each specialty. If you don't believe me, you can check for yourself on each schools' match lists. I've done so numerous times.

2) UIC COM was the first med school to initiate the AOA medical school honors society and is roughly the 5th or 6th oldest medical school. This legacy of excellence has been demonstrated in the fact that we've had graduates that have become surgeon general and U.S senators.

3) UIC COM's tuition stands at 36k per year, which is MUCH MUCH cheaper than other top medical schools. UIC also offers ample merit scholarships to entering students ranging from 15k per year to full tuition scholarships.

4) For GPPA students hoping to get into the MSTP program, they only have to worry about doing a ton of research to get into the PhD portion, as opposed to doing long hours of volunteering and shadowing to initially get into the MD program

In short GPPA can potentially help the most ambitious students get to where they want to be much easier than an acceptance at a top 10 undergrad

Choose the cheapest school. All 3 are good. If you go to a crazy hard school that is notorious for "failing" students out of pre-health careers early on (ie, intro bio, intro chem, etc where the professor says "we always fail half the class") then you are more likely to become a victim of statistics. Sometimes it's better to just go to a 'moderately' competitive school and outshine the rest in gpa AND admissions test scores.

Guys OP already matriculated, this thread was from Spring 2016 when they were deciding between admits.