GPR Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherrytoblossom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to apply for GPR next year. Can someone tell me what do they look for in an application?
Also which are good GPR programs.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They look at gpa, class rank, letters of rec, and extra curriculars.

Go onto the adea pass/match website and use the program search engine to find programs near you.

Generally speaking, the VA gpr programs are considered the best.

They look at gpa, class rank, letters of rec, and extra curriculars.

Go onto the adea pass/match website and use the program search engine to find programs near you.

Generally speaking, the VA gpr programs are considered the best.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you are looking for! There is no "best" program. Some GPRs have heavy didactics, some have zero. Some are located in trauma one hospitals, so the residents see a lot more trauma than others. Some are production mills, while others may be more focused on providing residents with a well-rounded experience.

GPR programs are all over the country, and some are really hidden gems. I've heard about good ones through word of mouth as well as this website. As said before, the VAs are known to be prestigious but they are difficult to get into (They pay really well). I would definitely suggest a GPR over an AEGD due to more complex cases, valuable hospital experience, and better pay. The GPR programs will look at grades and scores, but if you don't really shine in those areas, extracurriculars, letters, and knowing people are truly beneficial. So don't lose hope.

Depending on where you are from, you may want to choose programs close to you or if you want to get out and explore another city for a year or two, definitely apply nationwide.