GPR prior to specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Energon

Nobody Summons Megatron
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a third year I am still not sure of a specialty. If I specialize, the two I may consider are OS and pedo. However, to be sure, I am willing to spend the extra year to get a little more experience before i finally make up my mind.

If I do end up liking OS, I think I am going to prefer a 4yr program since I want to concentrate mostly on dentoalveolar, implants and orthognathics. I have no interest whatsoever in plastics. The question is, do you guys know any OS residents out there who have gone through GPR's prior to applying for OS? All the residents at my institution were undergrad superstars who applied right out of D school.

Members don't see this ad.

AMMD said:
As a third year I am still not sure of a specialty. If I specialize, the two I may consider are OS and pedo. However, to be sure, I am willing to spend the extra year to get a little more experience before i finally make up my mind.

If I do end up liking OS, I think I am going to prefer a 4yr program since I want to concentrate mostly on dentoalveolar, implants and orthognathics. I have no interest whatsoever in plastics. The question is, do you guys know any OS residents out there who have gone through GPR's prior to applying for OS? All the residents at my institution were undergrad superstars who applied right out of D school.

Many do gpr's and/or 1 year internship. Do an externship this year or next year in OS or Pedo--- the two are extremely different obviously and perhaps that will help clarify your future. Good luck

Although it might make you a better applicant for a specialty, I am not sure that a GPR is the best way to help make your decision. One problem is that many GPR's do not focus on either of the two very much (although some do), but also you will be applying in August/September, only a month or two after starting the GPR. I agree that you should do some pedo and omfs externships, and even consider an OMFS intership which will definatly help determine if OMFS is for you, and will also help you get into a program. But if you do an intership and decide you dont want OMFS, then it might set you back for the pedo applications - im not sure.

My plan is to complete a year of GPR, I am applying to programs that give their residents exposure to ample pedo and OS (if they want), and then apply the next year.

I am willing to spend that extra year in private practice which will help me pay back my loans while I do research on the side in my desired specialty (if I decide on a specialty that is, I may just be happy doing GPR).

Also, since I am not in the top 10 in my class, I am hoping doing a GPR and practice/research will make my application stronger, especially if I am going to apply for OS.

Please let me know what some of you guys think.