Grad School GPA - does it actually matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0919mmk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all - So I'm trying to get a consensus opinion here re: grad school GPAs.

The conventional wisdom as I've heard it is that your graduate GPA matters less than your UG GPA. I think we can take this as a given - every pre-med advisor I've talked to has said as much. It seems silly, but there you have it.

Given that, what have you all heard about the importance of grad GPA?

Can a high one counteract a low UG GPA? Can a low one kill your chances? Is it assumed that you should have a 4.0 cause "grad courses are easy"?
(my tentative answers to these three questions are, I think not, definitely yes, and oh god I hope not cause grad courses are NOT easier than UG classes, with few exceptions).

Members don't see this ad.

Undergrad premed prereqs: fairly standard across 40,000 applicants
MCAT: very standard across 40,000 applicants
Grad school: not standard, can't be used as a comparative instrument

You can't predict how generic med school A is going to interpret grad school B that gives you GPA X. You can't predict whether your grad school performance is going to have any bearing on how your academic mettle is perceived. You can spend the rest of your life researching which med school accepts students from which grad school with what undergrad/MCAT stats.

If your undergrad GPA and MCAT can get you to the part where human eyeballs are looking at your app, then a strong grad performance can have an effect on your success.

I have heard of no cases where doing an MPH will overcome a low undergrad GPA.

I have heard of some cases where doing a rigorous, traditional thesis-based masters in a hard science has overcome a low undergrad GPA.

I have heard of a lot of cases where doing an SMP, where you do the first year of med school to prove you can handle med school, has overcome a low undergrad GPA.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
From talking with a premed advisor it will be seen an almost an extra curicular activity that shows you have life experience and a diverse background. I did not get the sense that it would impact your uGPA. I am sure a low grad GPA would be frowned upon. But med school applications are a bit of a crap shoot once you get past the uGPA and MCAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have pointed out, a graduate degree will not change or affect your uGPA. There is a separate section on the AMCAS for it but as others stated, it really will only show that you have some life experiences and were able to do slightly harder more intellectual work at the graduate level.

Depending on what your uGPA and sGPA are, if they are only a little less competitive, I know friends who did a M.S. and M.P.H program who are now in M.D. programs. Basically, they told me that the adcoms took an interest in their graduate programs, b/c it was highly related to medicine as unique experiences which made them stand out from the vast majority of applicants who do not have that experience.

Also, the people I know in med school told me that more and more med schools are accepting older non-trad applicants (late 20s and early to mid 30s) that have graduate degrees and/or other work experience more than they were 10-20 years ago b/c a lot of medical schools are looking for applicants that stand out with more life experience then students right out of college with no experience and super high stats. I mean, I'm not talking top 15 or top 20 schools here but at least mid-level M.D. programs with some good reputations.

As I have learned from this experience applying this year, it really won't mean much to adcoms. Sorry, OP. My grad GPA was 3.8 and didn't offset my 3.1 uGPA at all.

From talking with a premed advisor it will be seen an almost an extra curicular activity that shows you have life experience and a diverse background. I did not get the sense that it would impact your uGPA. I am sure a low grad GPA would be frowned upon. But med school applications are a bit of a crap shoot once you get past the uGPA and MCAT scores.

I was a bit worried about this and because of this ended up taking some upper-division bio courses this past year as a post-bacc student. Since it seems like I'm the only one who kind of tanked on the grad gpa, we'll see what happens. :xf:

In short your answer is no, a grad GPA will not overcome bad grades in undergrad. However that is not the only thing that admissions looks at. The other posters have good advice. I know my grad GPA did help in ACOMAS. My classes that were retakes where I got hire grades overrode the previous bad grade, upping my overall GPA.

As I have learned from this experience applying this year, it really won't mean much to adcoms. Sorry, OP. My grad GPA was 3.8 and didn't offset my 3.1 uGPA at all.

Did you not get in this cycle? That sucks. Yeah, my feeling is that gGPA does very little to offset uGPA. That's fine though- its worth something as an "EC".

From personal exp, it changes very little unless u manage to have good pubs or something tangential from it, which u could arguably achieve without grad sch... so no, it's marginally beneficial

Did you not get in this cycle? That sucks. Yeah, my feeling is that gGPA does very little to offset uGPA. That's fine though- its worth something as an "EC".

Yeah, 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO waitlist, and 1 MD waitlist.

Yeah, 2 DO acceptances, 1 DO waitlist, and 1 MD waitlist.

Oh nice! That's not a bad result at all - youre gonna be a doctor. That's a relief for you. For the ACOMAS or whatever (DO), you need a DO letter right? I gotta get on that... did you shadow a DO?

Oh nice! That's not a bad result at all - youre gonna be a doctor. That's a relief for you. For the ACOMAS or whatever (DO), you need a DO letter right? I gotta get on that... did you shadow a DO?

You only need a DO letter for certain schools (the CIB has that information).

I did not shadow a DO, but I know one that wrote a letter for me. I shadowed several other doctors for extended periods of time, though.

I acknowledge that it is a relief to be accepted, but it is still very frustrating to have only been offered a single interview at allo schools I applied to.

Grad school is more an extracurricular. Actually, I wouldn't even really say that it is an extracurricular. It does give you experiences that go IN your extracurriculars though. Research, possible teaching, some other leadership stuff. A good bit of my extracurriculars came out of grad school

There are a few schools (Columbia is one so I am told) that will consider your grad GPA more than your undergrad GPA because it is presumably more recent. They aren't the norm though.

Members don't see this ad :)

The DO letter was the most difficult part for me. I eventually got one by volunteering at one of the free clinics. The DO who headed the clinic eventually gave me a letter. This process delayed my application till fairly late in the cycle.

There are a few schools (Columbia is one so I am told) that will consider your grad GPA more than your undergrad GPA because it is presumably more recent. They aren't the norm though.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Do you know of any other schools that do this by chance?

I listed Columbia because I was told that it was one which is the only reason that it's on my "to be applied to" list. I haven't confirmed it from Columbia itself but the source I heard it from seemed reliable. Off the top of my head, I don't know of others.

I listed Columbia because I was told that it was one which is the only reason that it's on my "to be applied to" list. I haven't confirmed it from Columbia itself but the source I heard it from seemed reliable. Off the top of my head, I don't know of others.

Yeah this is good info, thanks for sharing. I'll talk to a good premed advisor I know, see if there are other schools that consider grad GPA to a greater extent, and share what I find out on this thread.

I think the general consensus is that grad GPA is less important than undergrad.

But really... who gives a s***? :)

Short of taking more classes, you can't do anything about them at this point. And once you've accumulated enough courses to graduate, it's going to be tricky to move your GPA very far.

Focus on the aspects of your application that are under your control. Don't worry about the parts that are out of your hands.

I think this really depends on the school. The UMN (my home school), has seminars for pre-med students, and in one of them, it specifically stated one of their accepted applicants for the class entering fall 2010 was a "male, age 35, did MPH at major, well-respected university, grad GPA 3.95, UG GPA 3.1" so... it really depends on the school. However, again, the admissions person kept pushing that his MPH was from some "large, well-respected university" as if the guy got it from an Ivy/et al and THAT was why they accepted the 3.95 as being important... hope that helps... I would add that when I asked the same people what I should do to improve my chances, they told me specifically NOT to take grad courses, only UG courses and to get As in them...

I think the general consensus is that grad GPA is less important than undergrad.

But really... who gives a s***? :)

Short of taking more classes, you can't do anything about them at this point. And once you've accumulated enough courses to graduate, it's going to be tricky to move your GPA very far.

Focus on the aspects of your application that are under your control. Don't worry about the parts that are out of your hands.

Well, of course, but depending on the school's take on graduate gpas I might have to change up my gameplan as far as application season goes.

I can't just apply *everywhere* :p

EDIT: removing my comments for now

Last edited:
My grad GPA has mattered quite a bit. My uGPA wasn't that high and my first round application a year ago garnered absolutely nothing but being put on hold at several schools. This year I enrolled in a post-bacc and will be entering the Class of 2015 this fall at Tulane. I know explicitly that showing how I could perform against med students in a program that consists, in part, of actual med school classes is what got me in.

Perhaps the consensus is that grad GPA doesn't matter, but for me it was key.
Doing an SMP (where you take med school classes) is not the same, at all, as doing traditional grad work.

An SMP exists for the sole purpose of proving med school capability. It gives adcoms a very, very easy tool to assess you as a med school candidate.

If you're implying that Tulane looked at your grad GPA, and because it's high, they disregarded your undergrad GPA, I don't think that's what happened. I expect your app got caught on a "did well in an SMP/SMP-like program" hook in the review process. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
I understand about SMPs and grad programs. And I would agree....somewhat. Every application is different. I know the reasons I got in and I think grad GPA can be important. That's all I'm saying. After two rounds of applications I think the whole process is a bit different than what gets billed on SDN and by many advisors. It's a very interesting process to be sure, and one that I'm glad to be done with.

Gotta disagree with you and agree with Midlife here. Grad program GPAs other than SMPs simply don't matter. In general a grad degree is going to be looked at as a nice EC, but really won't add much else to the equation. If you totally tanked a graduate program, that might be used as evidence that you won't do well in med school, but the GPA itself won't be factored in in any meaningful way. A med school might like to say "15% of our class has advanced degrees" and to this extent it's beneficial, although not so much more beneficial than allowing a school say "25% of our class has" published research, extra digits, whatever. Congrats for getting in, but I think you are likely giving credit to the wrong aspects of your app.

Last edited:
Wow. Seriously? I would have assumed that taking graduate courses prove one can handle difficult course loads. Do you think the terminal degree would change this any? MS vs. Ph.D. or hard science vs. MPH?

Wow. Seriously? I would have assumed that taking graduate courses prove one can handle difficult course loads. Do you think the terminal degree would change this any? MS vs. Ph.D. or hard science vs. MPH?

For the most part no, especially when it comes to an M.P.H b/c except for a few schools, Pitt and GW come to mind, they don't offer M.P.H. programs that combine science and public health courses together.

As DrMidlife stated, the only type of program that MIGHT go along to help you a little bit in the regard your asking about is if you did a hardcore science (biomedical science program in particular) and did a thesis or some sort of culminating project. Also, the school and types of courses you take makes a huge difference as well. Some M.S. programs in biomedical sciences will require you to take the same course that the med students do in that particular discipline. Again, this is very school dependent.

No, for a couple of reasons. First, everyone takes UG classes, and everyone takes the MCAT, but most applicants do not take grad classes. So we don't have a basis for comparison across all applicants in terms of grad school academic performance. Second, grad classes tend to be grade-inflated. A sub-3.0 GPA in grad school would put you on academic probation, and so it's not very common for grad students to earn less than a B.

Having a PhD or MS can be helpful if you've been productive, in the sense of you being able to provide some diversity in the class. But a graduate degree is not going to compensate for subpar UG performance or a subpar MCAT.

Okay here's my question. How does one view the GPA in a PharmD program? It's considered graduate from what I understand at LECOM but most count the first two or three years as undergraduate for pharmacy with the final year being graduate. Please shed some light for me on this as I am unsure what to classify my courses on AMCAS since it isn't the traditional MS or Ph.D.

Currently, my GPA is approximately at 3.95 @ LECOM. I know someone mentioned grade inflation so I'll put some perspective on it. I know that even the top ranked person in class doesn't have a 4.0 and there are plenty of people that I know of with sub-3.0 GPA. As of last rank calculation I was 6th in 144 down from 4th. Now would admissions consider this 3.95 Graduate or could they consider it uGPA?

Okay here's my question. How does one view the GPA in a PharmD program? It's considered graduate from what I understand at LECOM but most count the first two or three years as undergraduate for pharmacy with the final year being graduate. Please shed some light for me on this as I am unsure what to classify my courses on AMCAS since it isn't the traditional MS or Ph.D.

Currently, my GPA is approximately at 3.95 @ LECOM. I know someone mentioned grade inflation so I'll put some perspective on it. I know that even the top ranked person in class doesn't have a 4.0 and there are plenty of people that I know of with sub-3.0 GPA. As of last rank calculation I was 6th in 144 down from 4th. Now would admissions consider this 3.95 Graduate or could they consider it uGPA?

AMCAS and AACOMAS have pdf's that go along with them that explain how to enter grades in situations like yours. I am pretty sure both documents specifically mention pharmacy classes. Your undergraduate years would go as undergrad and the professional ones would go as professional.

It depends on what you get your graduate degree in. It also depends on the program type. I did an SMP and it did wonders to offset my horrid undergraduate GPA. I received 3 MD acceptances. :) I also turned down several interviews.

I would add that when I asked the same people what I should do to improve my chances, they told me specifically NOT to take grad courses, only UG courses and to get As in them...

I retook two classes, got A's in them and it didn't bring me up to a 4.0. I'm glad I did it, but I felt it was a waste of time and I got more angry with myself for not doing well the first time! But, I did take upper division courses and got A's in those and this was during the time I was working a lot of hours so I had little sleep and time.

I retook two classes, got A's in them and it didn't bring me up to a 4.0. I'm glad I did it, but I felt it was a waste of time and I got more angry with myself for not doing well the first time! But, I did take upper division courses and got A's in those and this was during the time I was working a lot of hours so I had little sleep and time.

Once you have ANY grade other than an A, your GPA can never be a 4.0 again except by rounding up from 3.99-something (like 3.995).

By the time you're ready to graduate college you will have so many credits that the GPA-benefit of any additional classes you take are diluted by all the other classes you've already taken. Example: I never had less than a B in any class in college. My science GPA was somewhere around a 3.4. As a post-bacc I took: 5 biology courses, 5 chemistry courses, and 2 physics courses, and got A's in all of them. Still, my cumulative science GPA only moved up to about 3.7.

It takes LOTS of classes to repair a GPA. It took me 12 science classes to move 0.3 points. If you need to do GPA repair, be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

HOWEVER your application can still benefit from taking additional science classes even if your GPA doesn't change much. If you take three hard science courses with labs all at the same time and get A's in all of them, then that is good evidence for the admissions committee that you can do well in a rigorous program of study.

Good luck :luck:

Once you have ANY grade other than an A, your GPA can never be a 4.0 again except by rounding up from 3.99-something (like 3.995). Good luck :luck:

Well yeah, I know that I was just over exaggerating in a joking manner, hahahahaha.:laugh:

It takes LOTS of classes to repair a GPA. It took me 12 science classes to move 0.3 points. If you need to do GPA repair, be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

That's exactly my point. That is why, depending on your schedule or whatever, it would be a waste of time to take over classes. You will get more annoyed, especially if you hate those classes with a passion in the first place! On top of that, I worked a lot and barely had just enough energy to study those crapp/boring classes. One class only brings you up 0.5 points! I was like....WHAT????? That "C" killed my grade but the "A" barely touched it?

HOWEVER your application can still benefit from taking additional science classes even if your GPA doesn't change much. If you take three hard science courses with labs all at the same time and get A's in all of them, then that is good evidence for the admissions committee that you can do well in a rigorous program of study.

Very true!:thumbup:

Yes, grad school GPA DOES matter! After reading various threads on this subject I decided to venture out and get the information from my state med school admissions. I was told by an admissions official that ALL courses are taken into account when calculating the cumulative GPA. Your BCPM GPA will also include respective classes taken at both the undergrad and graduate levels. I also brought up the notion that many consider grad courses or a graduate degree as an EC activity. I was laughed at! LOL I was told that if someone considers a graduate degree as an EC activity, then perhaps they need to get their head examined. :)The bottom line is that you should check with the school(s) you are planning on applying to. Most schools do their own accounting before considering applicants. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, grad school GPA DOES matter! After reading various threads on this subject I decided to venture out and get the information from my state med school admissions. I was told by an admissions official that ALL courses are taken into account when calculating the cumulative GPA. Your BCPM GPA will also include respective classes taken at both the undergrad and graduate levels. I also brought up the notion that many consider grad courses or a graduate degree as an EC activity. I was laughed at! LOL I was told that if someone considers a graduate degree as an EC activity, then perhaps they need to get their head examined. :)The bottom line is that you should check with the school(s) you are planning on applying to. Most schools do their own accounting before considering applicants. Cheers!

This. It's my first question whenever I run into someone involved with admissions and in Chicago I've gotten a wide variety of answers.

What state are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

The people who posted here about how the uGPA is calculated did so on the basis of having actually done the AMCAS and AACOMAS applications or being on an admissions committee. If you think that a school told you differently, then, by all means, try it yourself. Before you start down that road, however, make sure that you find out exactly how that GPA is calculated for you and put it into a spreadsheet. When you find out that the grad grades are NOT actually calculated into your uGPA, then we won't expect you to come back here and admit you were wrong.

I recently pmed ShinyDome19 as a result of people's judgmental attitudes here, as he too is a medical student who has gone through the application process, and he was very polite in sharing his experience with gpas, AMCAS/AACOMAS, and has both BS/MS degrees. I highly recommend looking at his mdapps and asking him about it if those schools are in tune with the ones you're interested in, but his message to me was pretty much the same as what you posted and I don't think he'd be offended if I re-posted it:

One piece of advice I give everyone I know that applies to medical school - contact the admissions advisor of the schools that your interested in, if they have one. Talk to them and ask them if they can look over your application prior to submitting it to kinda give you a feel for where you stand according to their average student. You might be supprised what they tell you that you lack and where your way ahead of others.
- Plus they usually keep a record on you that has everything they told you. It looks good if by the time your application reaches their desk if you have been working towards fixing your weaknesses.

Last edited:
The people who posted here about how the uGPA is calculated did so on the basis of having actually done the AMCAS and AACOMAS applications or being on an admissions committee. If you think that a school told you differently, then, by all means, try it yourself. Before you start down that road, however, make sure that you find out exactly how that GPA is calculated for you and put it into a spreadsheet. When you find out that the grad grades are NOT actually calculated into your uGPA, then we won't expect you to come back here and admit you were wrong.

I was merely stating the result of my conversation with a high level admissions officer from my state (CO) medical school regarding his topic. This was a face-to-face conversation as opposed to relying on anonymous SDN posters. The inclusion of grad GPA into the cum GPA is a matter of simple arithmetic. It's does not involve multivariable differential equations. ;) However, my suggestion to people who have a graduate degree is to talk to the admissions officer(s) to get the best and the most accurate information about that school. Sorry if I offended previous posters by sharing this information. Cheers!

I was merely stating the result of my conversation with a high level admissions officer from my state (CO) medical school regarding his topic. This was a face-to-face conversation as opposed to relying on anonymous SDN posters. The inclusion of grad GPA into the cum GPA is a matter of simple arithmetic. It's does not involve multivariable differential equations. ;) However, my suggestion to people who have a graduate degree is to talk to the admissions officer(s) to get the best and the most accurate information about that school. Sorry if I offended previous posters by sharing this information. Cheers!

I investigated and see that you are right that the University of Colorado averages the graduate grades with undergraduate in order to calculate the GPA. They do not use the AMCAS calculation. This differs from the practice of the schools that I applied to.

Sorry if I offended previous posters by sharing this information. Cheers!

I, for one, appreciated your info. Please share anymore info you have if you end up talking to other schools, as not all schools are the same as was demonstrated by the post above^^.

I investigated and see that you are right that the University of Colorado averages the graduate grades with undergraduate in order to calculate the GPA. They do not use the AMCAS calculation. This differs from the practice of the schools that I applied to.

I'm glad to hear that you were told the same thing. I agree, that this may not be true for all schools.

I, for one, appreciated your info. Please share anymore info you have if you end up talking to other schools, as not all schools are the same as was demonstrated by the post above^^.

Thanks! I sure will.

I'm glad to hear that you were told the same thing. I agree, that this may not be true for all schools.
It's not true for most schools; AMCAS does calculate the graduate and UG GPAs separately. Colorado is the exception, not the rule. But as you've demonstrated, the general advice to contact each school individually is definitely sound.

It's not true for most schools; AMCAS does calculate the graduate and UG GPAs separately. Colorado is the exception, not the rule. But as you've demonstrated, the general advice to contact each school individually is definitely sound.

I can say for certain that U of New Mexico SOM not only includes your grad GPA, but wieghts it 3x more than your frosh ugGPA, 2x more than your soph ugGPA, etc. i.e. Jun, Sen, PB, and Grad grades are weighted 3x to come up with an overall GPA. I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier, but I assumed that this was super-rare. (Its pretty awesome tho - my AMCAS ugGPA will be 3.1 :( but my UNM GPA will be like 3.5- yeah!). Had no idea that CO state did a similar thing...

Of course, the UNM thing doesnt matter if you're not a resident since they only take NM residents, but still, this now makes me wonder how common that kind of thing is... I assume it's still rare, but apparently not vanishingly so...cool!:thumbup:

Also, idk if you are applying this summer or what, but if so, maybe see you on the circuit at UC! My gf interviewed there a few months ago (oos) - its an amazing campus. I'm going to apply since we're a neighboring state, but its super competitive obviously. I'm going to need a 35+ to get looked at... <sigh> back to studying :thumbdown:

Also, idk if you are applying this summer or what, but if so, maybe see you on the circuit at UC! My gf interviewed there a few months ago (oos) - its an amazing campus. I'm going to apply since we're a neighboring state, but its super competitive obviously. I'm going to need a 35+ to get looked at... <sigh> back to studying :thumbdown:

Yes, I'm planning on applying this June. Taking the MCAT May 7th. I've heard of students with very high stats getting rejected from CU. However, one of my former roommates was accepted with a 25. LOL She did have a 4.0 GPA though. It's totally unpredictable. Good luck!

I asked the very exact question to an admissions officer at UVA school of medicine at a Q&A session. She said that they take ALL grades GRAD and Undergrad GPA and add them together to get a new cGPA for each applicant. This implies that they are weighted equally. So I guess it really depends on the school's individual policies with this.

What he is referring to is NOT the AMCAS GPA calculation, but the schools individual policy for how they review their applicants. AMCAS does seperate ugrad and grad GPA's as you've stated. But when I talked to an adcom from UVA she directly stated that they take the AMCAS calculated grad GPA and the AMCAS calculated ugrad GPA and sum them together to come up with a new cGPA and sGPA to evaluate their prospective students by for admissions purposes. It sounds to me as if the school he has spoken with does the same thing.

EDIT: Edlongshanks - just noticed your follow up post to natty so you can disregard my comment for the most part but UVA does the samething as CO as an fyi.

What he is referring to is NOT the AMCAS GPA calculation, but the schools individual policy for how they review their applicants. AMCAS does seperate ugrad and grad GPA's as you've stated. But when I talked to an adcom from UVA she directly stated that they take the AMCAS calculated grad GPA and the AMCAS calculated ugrad GPA and sum them together to come up with a new cGPA and sGPA to evaluate their prospective students by for admissions purposes. It sounds to me as if the school he has spoken with does the same thing.

EDIT: Edlongshanks - just noticed your follow up post to natty so you can disregard my comment for the most part but UVA does the samething as CO as an fyi.

Well, I'm not sure if there isn't some miscomprehension going on on this thread. While I agree with folks actually talking to schools to learn how specific places handle things, bear in mind that what they do as adcoms behind closed doors may not be exactly what they tell you and bear in mind that any school could be an unusual outlier. As mentioned above in this threads, grad GPAs are problematic for adcoms because (1) most undergrad applicants won't have any, so you are doing an apples and oranges comparison if you weigh these in, and (2) there's often very substantial grade inflation in grad school, and (3) for some applicants the number of course hours taken for a lengthy graduate degree can dwarf the undergrad hours and change a GPA pretty handilly.

I also think there are folks on this thread who don't get that when you talk about "grad school grades" we aren't talking about SMPs. SMPs are looked at differently because that's not so much of a terminal degree program as it is a "prove you are able to handle med school" type endeavor. So for SMPs, yes grades matter. That's more of a post-bac/pre-health path than a graduate degree although they do give you a parchment at the end. Put that one aside -- it's really not what we are talking about here.

What we are talking about here is whether your MPH or MBA or JD or non-SMP MS or PhD is going to be factored in and pump up your undergrad GPA, or whether those degrees are simply used otherwise, as a nice "EC" type credential.

When you fill out AMCAS, there are two different GPAs calculated, one that includes undergrad plus undergrad level postbac, and the other that includes all grades including graduate. The former is what most adcoms use as your GPA, and in fact they pretty much have to use that one because it's the only one that's an apples and apples comparison when looking at everyone who applied, when most only have undergrad coursework history. It would be unfair to do otherwise. Should that dude who did pretty average in undergrad get a big boost because A's are easier to come by in grad school?

However sometimes after they accept you, when they want to print out the recruitment brochure or fill out data for US News, etc stating their average GPA, they will use the higher average that includes the graduate GPA. Makes them look more competitive. But if a place is truly telling you yeah, you can average up a low undergrad GPA with A's in (a non-SMP) grad school, that school is a rare outlier.