Grade for EMT course count for cGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVEMED123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will only get a a grade if it is through an accredited school (CC or university) but not through a fire department.
EDIT: in my sleepiness I totally misread the question :)

Last edited:
cGPA= cumulative GPA. Not science

Members don't see this ad :)
delete

Last edited:
no worries, thanks!
so it will factor in to my cGPA like any other course? (I don't know how it works with CCs).
also, what's the time commitment like outside of class? How much studying?
Yes it will factor into your cGPA.
I took it in high school, but when I took it I did not feel as if the time commitment was bad at all- kind of like when they say if you love what your doing you will never work a day in your life. The subject matter is interesting, so I never felt as if it were a burden to study for that course.
PM me anytime for questions you might have!

I had a blast in my EMT course, but it was also run very "hands on." My experience convinced me that every pre-med should take an EMT course (or something similar - CNA, MA, etc), not necessarily for the knowledge, but at least for the exposure to medicine and an idea of how to study a very large amount of material in a short amount of time. I was lucky in that my course was very medically dense, and I felt like I learned a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a blast in my EMT course, but it was also run very "hands on." My experience convinced me that every pre-med should take an EMT course (or something similar - CNA, MA, etc), not necessarily for the knowledge, but at least for the exposure to medicine and an idea of how to study a very large amount of material in a short amount of time. I was lucky in that my course was very medically dense, and I felt like I learned a lot.

Aren't the jobs time-consuming? And training expensive? This is a problem for full time students. Clearly not impossible, but why do it if you could get around with volunteering and other jobs. I just don't know if the cost (in time and money) is worth it.

I took the course through a college for credit, so it wasn't any more expensive than standard tuition (especially since the course was enough credits that it qualified for full-time status).

As for employment, I don't necessarily recommend getting employed as an EMT - I think the course is a valuable experience and so is the certification exam. If you do want to seek employment, you aren't just confined to EMT jobs in the first responder sense, depending on your location. Many ER Tech positions love EMTs, as do other entry-level patient care positions, and can be found in multitude part-time (again depending on your location).

Reactions: 1 user
Aren't the jobs time-consuming? And training expensive? This is a problem for full time students. Clearly not impossible, but why do it if you could get around with volunteering and other jobs. I just don't know if the cost (in time and money) is worth it.

It was time consuming when I took it. I think I spent about 8-12 hours a week for that class, but it was also offered as a class for students at my university, so everyone who was in that class was a full-time student. The best parts that I got out of it were the experiences and the knowledge that I really did want to enter the medical field.

It should if, as posted above, it is taken at an accredited school. Took mine while finishing my B.S. in Bio. Went on to medic while the Mrs. is finishing her M.D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was time consuming when I took it. I think I spent about 8-12 hours a week for that class, but it was also offered as a class for students at my university, so everyone who was in that class was a full-time student. The best parts that I got out of it were the experiences and the knowledge that I really did want to enter the medical field.

I just saw this post and wanted to say that you are so right. Your EMT skill sets will save a life someday - bold talk but I have seen it to be true for all of my family members. Further it is a great way to be in a position to safely provide care while determining if medicine is a path that calls you. It does me, but not my other family members, also licensed EMT's. Good luck on your pursuits!

As to the OP I think it "must", it is an accredited 4 Sem course in health sciences with a grade. While your school will not give it grade credit your AMCAS GPA is another matter.