Grade Replacement vs SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGoodLife570

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping I can get a few opinions on this situation from people who have more experience than I do.

I'm currently working on my pre-reqs. I was initially looking at attending DO school because of the grade replacement option. With grade replacement my GPA's are currently 3.36 both overall and science. I would expect my science GPA to be around 3.5+ in the near future.

Without the grade replacement my current GPA is 3.27 and my science/math GPA is a 3.0. I did extremely poorly in a basic math class (1.0) my sophomore year because of a family health problems and I missed a bunch of classes which kept lowering my grade.

My question is that an MD medical school, the commonwealth medical college (Scranton,PA), opened up relatively close to where I live and they offer a 1 year SMP program, with some of those students gaining spots into their school. This would be a good opportunity because I would not have to leave my family and would be an easier transition.

My college focus is in Business/Marketing, so I will not be applying with any upper level classes. Is it worth considering the SMP program as a way to prepare for attending an medical school and also have a shot at gaining acceptance into a MD program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I would do the SMP if the MD school is your #1 choice. Grade replacement only works well with DO schools but your GPA is good enough to be competitive for most DO schools (assuming you have a good MCAT score).

Based on how competition is increasing, make sure to mix retakes with 1-2 new courses each semester/quarter.

ADCOMS like to see fresh upper level courses aside from retakes to re-assure them of your capabilities.

Well an SMP has the most difficult classes you can take, which are medical school classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you get accepted to that SMP, then you should do it. Just really dedicate your time to it obviously. If you do well in it, & get a decent MCAT, then you are setting yourself up for a possible MD acceptance @ The Commonwealth and/or likely acceptances at DO schools around the country.

Thank you for your input..

The SMP program would take a year to complete. Is this amount of time worth the shot at a possible MD acceptance over a DO school?

Thank you for your input..

The SMP program would take a year to complete. Is this amount of time worth the shot at a possible MD acceptance over a DO school?

The problem with SMP programs is that they usually take 2 years (also known as the glide year). 1 year to do the program and then apply with those grades for the next cycle. Some programs with strong linkages may allow you to apply the same year. This is all for MD, if you don't want to wait a year and go straight to medical school then you'll be fine for DO.

I would check with your program's advisor for what the best course action is.