Grade replacement vs. "w"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

itsallgood19

If DO schools honor grade replacement, do they look less harshly on taking a W in a course and then retaking it for a decent grade? I understand DO schools do grade replacement, but do they frown upon using it? What is looked at better in the eyes of a DO adcom, using a W or doing grade replacement?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as the grade replacement goes, just do it. If you get a C or worse (or a W), retake the class. It's in the policy for a reason. They won't hold it against you (too much), and like to see the initiative that you're serious about your GPA and willing to retake classes to improve it.

As far as the grade replacement goes, just do it. If you get a C or worse (or a W), retake the class. It's in the policy for a reason. They won't hold it against you (too much), and like to see the initiative that you're serious about your GPA and willing to retake classes to improve it.
Yes retake the class regardless... just don't have a boat load of retakes without some good reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a problem unless there's tons of them all over your transcript, or if they're occurring in your Junior/Senior year, which implies that you couldn't handle a rigorous course load. Then again, some major health or life problem could have necessitated all the W's so each applicant is viewed seperately.

But 1-2 here and there? Not a problem.

If DO schools honor grade replacement, do they look less harshly on taking a W in a course and then retaking it for a decent grade? I understand DO schools do grade replacement, but do they frown upon using it? What is looked at better in the eyes of a DO adcom, using a W or doing grade replacement?

so how is a "w" in a prereq class looked upon? for example, i took a "w" in general chemistry II then retook it over the summer at the same institution to receive a B...any thoughts/comments?

so how is a "w" in a prereq class looked upon? for example, i took a "w" in general chemistry II then retook it over the summer at the same institution to receive a B...any thoughts/comments?
I think you will be alright, would've been nice to get an A on that retake, but its water under the bridge