Grade Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qingywingy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I had a question. How much does your grade trend increase your chances of being accepted in a school? Like performing much better than before. Or do pharm schools only looks at the overall GPA?
Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
I had a question. How much does your grade trend increase your chances of being accepted in a school? Like performing much better than before. Or do pharm schools only looks at the overall GPA?
Thanks alot.

they will look at overall gpa and the trend of your grades. your overall gpa should try its best to hit at least 3.0 and your science the same as well. in the beginning, my science gpa was honestly less than 2.0; but after going back and pulling up my sci gpa to about 3.2ish along with extracurricular activites and volunteering and such, i got into a few schools albeit some newer than others but hey.. the possibilities are endless.

i think they definitely look at grade trends to see if the person is mature and serious about focusing on their studies.

So, if in my case, the first 60-90 sem. hours I averaged a 3.2, but for the next 30-40 sem. hrs i managed only a 0.8 due to an extenuating circumstance, but after that 0.8 year, I've averaged a 3.1 in the past 48 sem. hrs. My overall gpa is a 2.67. Will they forgive that year? ...I really hope so. At least I hope that they see that I made improvements after that year.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, if in my case, the first 60-90 sem. hours I averaged a 3.2, but for the next 30-40 sem. hrs i managed only a 0.8 due to an extenuating circumstance, but after that 0.8 year, I've averaged a 3.1 in the past 48 sem. hrs. My overall gpa is a 2.67. Will they forgive that year? ...I really hope so. At least I hope that they see that I made improvements after that year.

They wont "forgive" in the sense that it doesn't count, but yeah, they will more than likely overlook it as an anomaly due to "extenuating circumstance" as you indicated. Especially if you mention it in either your PS or somewhere on the supplemental for the college. (depending on where you feel it's more appropriate)

They might be willing to overlook it if there weren't any prereqs during that time or if you retook those courses for a better grade. Check with the individual schools

Wow thanks guys.
that made me feel alot better because I am counting on my grade trend because I really messed up my freshmen year.

I was an idiot!!!!!

I had Cs my freshman year but I managed to pull up my GPA to a 3.4 and I got into a pharmacy school! As long as you do okay in subsequent classes I doubt the schools will hold that against you as they know that everyone messes up once in a while.