Grades in Prequisites ... Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anokhi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to apply for PT in 2011. But I have concerns about my GPA and grades in the science and non-science courses. I received a "D" twice in accounting course that is required for my major, but I got an "A" the 3rd time. Also, one semester I failed all my courses receving D's and one C+. I got a D in Human Anatomy .. I dropped the lab in beginning of the semester and I got a D in Human Physiology w/ the lab and C+ in History of Ideas. I also got a D in Bio II lab this summer semester. But I have a B in Biology II and A- in Medical Terminology and A in Stats II. I have retaken Human Anatomy w/ lab and Human Physiology w/ lab and I received all B's... two semesters ago. I have also taken two different stats courses that I got an A- and B+

Right now my science GPA is 3.05 without all the D's in the science courses and my overall GPA is also 3.05

I have 64 more credits to go including Chem I and Chem II and Physics I and Physics II and all the labs. I have yet to take the GRE and I'm planning to volunteer with a PT and help at a hospital for Kashmir relief for 3 months

I just want to know how will the PT admissions look at this? Will they not even bother looking at my transcript in detail?? Or is there any hope that I may get accepted??

Members don't see this ad.

Dont get your hopes down. But I think they look at the D's in your sciences and will take them into account for your overall too. With the staggering amount of applications, it will be hard, but don't give up like I already have!!!! A "D" in physiology, you would have get an A to try to offset the D when you retake it, that goes for all the classes you have to retake. I never had to retake any of my stuff and I didn't get in anywhere, but I still have a messed up gpa. Before you ask, heres what i look like:

B.S. Exercise science
Overall: 2.89~2.90
Last 60: 2.77
Pre-req: 2.99~3.0 (no D's)
GRE: 1150 (V:500 Q:650 A:4)
Volunteer Hours: 133 (3 types of settings)

Chemistry and Physics are even tougher, depending on the student.

Yeah, yall can call me a little bitter.:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thank you for replying.

I took the physiology and the lab again and I got B's and I took Human Anatomy (diff course not together with physiology) and I got a B... I called Stonybrook. I told her that I failed one whole semester with D's because of a personal problem that I was dealing with. She asked me how my other grades are in my other science courses and I told her and she asked my overall GPA and I told her... she said I'm fine and that I shouldn't worry and that she can grant freshmen forgiveness if I apply there. But she told me as long as I don't get C's in the science courses .. I'm good and keep raising that GPA and to do well in the GRE's. I'm taking Intermediate Human Physiology (different course) this semester .. just to show I'm capable of getting good grades lol. But I'm just hesistant and scared applying to PT programs b/c of the D's they're going to see :S I think I have to bust my ***** in Chem and Physics .. maintaining at least B+ or A i should say to balance those ugly grades and obviously do good in my other classes.

Are you still applying in PT programs?

Well, I graduated in spring of '08, and didn't have enough volunteer hrs to be competitive and haven't taken the GRE so I didn't apply for the '08 entries. And I just applied for the '09 entries and have been rejected to all 6 schools I applied to. I don't think I will apply again.