Graduate in Biomedical Sciences - What Are My Chances and How to Improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyc1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all, any advice for me would be so greatly appreciated. Feeling a bit downtrodden during this process...

Background: Went to a top 20 school, but had zero motivation, really. It's something I kick myself for every single day now. But I have to accept my current situation and make the best of it.
sGPA: 2.9, regular GPA: 3.6, cuGPA: 3.2

MCAT: taken once last summer, 31Q (11PS, 11 VR, 9 BS)

Enrolled in a rigorous SMP-type program that is well-known for enhancing GPA for those seeking to apply to medical school.
Graduate GPA (all science): 3.65, 22 credits.

During this time I also scribed for an otolaryngologist (20hrs/week, got a great letter from him) and taught high school anatomy and physiology. Was definitely risky to do this much during an SMP but I think it was worth it.

Applied very early in the process, and applied very broadly.

NOW: working at Columbia University in New York doing clinical research; love the job, it's a great experience. I volunteer, tutor, and am finishing the master's as well.

Questions:
1) I didn't apply DO - was this a mistake? (Note: I really, really prefer MD. I've come this far and don't want anything except the gold).
2) Am I taking the right steps now? Is there anything else you guys would recommend I do?
3) What do you guys honestly think my chances are at MD?

Anything I left out - just ask me and I will answer

Good luck with your application process.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Questions:
1) I didn't apply DO - was this a mistake? (Note: I really, really prefer MD. I've come this far and don't want anything except the gold).
2) Am I taking the right steps now? Is there anything else you guys would recommend I do?
3) What do you guys honestly think my chances are at MD?

Ouch..agree with poster above, this is not a good mentality to have - regardless if you're applying MD or DO. Both schools of practice make very positive contributions to healthcare. That said, your numbers give you a low to decent shot at MD. Your ECs, LORs, and PS can be very decisive factors towards potential interview invites.