Graduate Intern & Commitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what retail companies do not make you sign a contract locked in for a service commitment.

For example, I would like to work 3/4 pay during the summer for Company X but not have to be obligated to them if I dont like them, etc.

Are there any companies that do the 3/4 pay and not make you sign a contract promising to work for them?

Greatly appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what retail companies do not make you sign a contract locked in for a service commitment.

For example, I would like to work 3/4 pay during the summer for Company X but not have to be obligated to them if I dont like them, etc.

Are there any companies that do the 3/4 pay and not make you sign a contract promising to work for them?

Greatly appreciate it!!

Seems pretty dishonest to tell a company you are trying them out when you already have your spot for medical school lined up. Or were you just not going to tell them that and let them figure it out when you left for med school?

Seems pretty dishonest to tell a company you are trying them out when you already have your spot for medical school lined up. Or were you just not going to tell them that and let them figure it out when you left for med school?

It's business! Dont think they wont get rid of you if it suits them in their best interests. I have seen and heard it many times from the retail big boys....

That's why I want one with no obligation. We both can part without any "feelings". I work and they pay me. Do you think they are your buddy?

Also, if I like it, I will work there part-time some. That simple!!

Lastly, I would ask this question whether or not I was going to med school because I would not want to lock myself into something while I am just getting out there. Why limit your options for a couple of months of extra pay? I would not sell myself so cheap before I knew what I was getting into.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's business! Dont think they wont get rid of you if it suits them in their best interests. I have seen and heard it many times from the retail big boys....

That's why I want one with no obligation. We both can part without any "feelings". I work and they pay me. Do you think they are your buddy?

Also, if I like it, I will work there part-time some. That simple!!

Lastly, I would ask this question whether or not I was going to med school because I would not want to lock myself into something while I am just getting out there. Why limit your options for a couple of months of extra pay? I would not sell myself so cheap before I knew what I was getting into.

Well I am assuming that at some point during the 4 years of med school you will want to work as a pharmacist part time to make some money. If this is the case then burning your bridges by not being forthcoming with your plans may not be the best choice. There is nothing wrong with looking out for your interests but if you tell the company that you are interested in signing on long term after your trial period and then later bail on them for med school I doubt they will be very helpful in giving you a reference. In your position I would be honest and tell them you want to work for them full time for the summer and get some experience so you are prepared to then POSSIBLY step into a part time or per diem position during the school year. I wouldn't lead them on hoping for them to commit a few more dollars an hour.

If you do not make a commitment, they will not pay you as a grad intern. If they need techs, they may keep you at your 6th year rate, but why would a company pay you as a grad intern?

A grad intern is being groomed as a pharmacist.

Well I am assuming that at some point during the 4 years of med school you will want to work as a pharmacist part time to make some money. If this is the case then burning your bridges by not being forthcoming with your plans may not be the best choice. There is nothing wrong with looking out for your interests but if you tell the company that you are interested in signing on long term after your trial period and then later bail on them for med school I doubt they will be very helpful in giving you a reference. In your position I would be honest and tell them you want to work for them full time for the summer and get some experience so you are prepared to then POSSIBLY step into a part time or per diem position during the school year. I wouldn't lead them on hoping for them to commit a few more dollars an hour.

I am going to try this approach with one company I have connections with. I was just looking for backup options just in case.