Graduate Program Dilemma (MMFT vs PsyD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringPsychologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK guys I'm completely lost and I'm loosing sleep.
I got into Azusa Pacific University's PsyD program and USC's Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy program. Each school has its pros and cons for me.

My personal goal is to be a clinician and get into private practice. I'm not afraid of doing research and publishing a dissertation, so a PsyD would be good for me. BUT prestige and reputation are also important to me, and APU doesn't have that. USC has that reputation I'm looking for, but getting my masters would set me back 2 years. I would definitely pursue a doctoral degree after receiving a masters (PhD or PsyD) and I feel drawn to USC more so than APU (which I cannot just set aside, as trivial as that may sound).

Can someone please give me some insight and advice. Does it make sense for me to go to a master's program even though I got into a PsyD program? People in my life seem to be stressing the weight a degree from USC carries. Someone be real with me please!

Members don't see this ad.

There are 2 threads on this first page alone regarding MA programs VS PsyD. Your answer have been discussed in detail in way too many threads. Please use a search so we don't have another.

Please, and thank you.

There are 2 threads on this first page alone regarding MA programs VS PsyD. Your answer have been discussed in detail in way too many threads. Please use a search so we don't have another.

Please, and thank you.

I guess I'm looking for input on the actual schools more so than what the difference is between MFT vs PsyD

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm looking for input on the actual schools more so than what the difference is between MFT vs PsyD
The vast consensus will be to go to USC. :) I'm gonna need you to trust me on this one. lol

I'm sorry if I seem curt. Threads like yours happen about once a day here and they always devolve into the same situation. If you're new here, you might not have known. It's all good. heh.

The vast consensus would ask for more information first. What do you want to do in private practice? Is marriage/family/couples therapy a goal of yours, or something that you'd want to focus on clinically? If not, I'm not sure how the MFT helps you at all. You are right though APU is not all that highly regarded outside of CA, and if I remember correctly, carries a hefty price tag.

Azuza has a low APA internship match rate that appears to be declining so not a good sign. Also, it doesn't make much sense to get a masters that leads to licensure if your goal is a doctorate. The real question is: do you want to be a clinical psychologist or a therapist? A psychologist is an acknowledged expert in the field of mental health and is trained in research, assessment, teaching, consultation, and psychotherapy.

It does seem like elaboration on your desired end goal is important here. I know that you said you want to be a clinician and get into private practice, but what do you want that practice to look like, how much autonomy would you like, and what kind of services do you want to be able to provide and to whom? If you are content to provide therapy to couples and families with basic adjustment issues, but probably not severe psychopathology than the MFT may be a good fit. If you think you would like your skill-set as a provider of psychological services to be broader than that, you probably would not be well-served by a masters level degree. Additionally, if you intend to get the doctoral level training at some-point, the masters will likely make your educational timeline both more time intensive and expensive, so probably not worth it-although only you can decide that. It does sound like prestige is an important variable for you, and if so, Azusa Pacific University is definitely not going to meet that need. Instead, you will be paying a hefty price tag for pretty poor outcomes. If a doctoral level degree is your end goal, it doesn’t have to be Azusa or bust. Any chance that you could spend the next year making yourself more competitive for the types of PsyD programs that would be a better fit?