Graduate School Scare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandyjoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I went to talk to the Director of my school's psych department about the Master's of Counseling program I am considering. He basically said he hasn't heard anything good about it, that a lot of the students leave Troy University to come to Univ. West Florida in order to get a "real degree." I mentioned the fact that Troy is CACREP and UWF is not, and he said it doesn't matter because UWF is MPAC. So now I don't know what to do. I like Troy because it is 10 minutes away and UWF is 1.5 hours away. I have been commuting for undergrad but I would prefer not to for graduate school. Btw, it is not the Troy in AL but one of their satellite campuses. Anyways, he said most students go to Troy because it's an "easier" program and it might be hard to find jobs. Is this true? People on here have always said that the name of the school doesn't matter at the Master's level, just the license. I really need help because I don't want to make the wrong choice. My main concern is finding a job. I also have to move in two years with my SO (we don't know where he will be placed) and Troy's program takes 2 years and UWF's takes 3 years. I would do my 2 years post-bac in the state I move to (Troy said they would help me with this). Here is the program at UWF:
http://uwf.edu/spbs/counseling-overview/
Troy University:
http://homer.troy.edu/data/academic/edu/programs/COE-ClinicalMentalHealth.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please tell me if the name of a school matters? Will I still be able to find a job if I go to Troy?

I doubt anyone has heard of that school outside the area, so you can probably dodge their bad rep if you are looking for work in other states.

If the MHC is really want to you to obtain, make sure your going to a school with the right accrediting body. If i recall, the CACREP was the one you needed. Location is important too, the MHC will not be as actively sought out by employers as other master level professions in some areas.