Graduating a Year Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M101B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently transferred to a new university, and realized upon registering for classes that I only have about 42 credits left. If I took summer courses, I could finish a semester to a year early without overworking myself. If I wanted to stay for my senior year, I would seriously have to stretch out my course load somehow, plus it would cost me $24,500 in private loans. However, I am going into my junior year and only turning 20 in August, so saying I graduated over summer I would graduate college at 20 years old. Is this a bad idea? I am getting a degree in Cell Biology and Neuroscience from Rutgers University. My previous college was the University of Central Florida, and I left there with a 3.45 GPA and about a 3.2 science GPA while taking 17 credits. I also have many campus leadership and participation activities, and I am starting shadowing tomorrow. Would graduating early increase, decrease, or not affect my chances?

If I wanted to stay I could do an honors research track, or pick up a minor, or take 12 credits at a time, but it would cost so much money.

If I graduated early, I could potentially build up my shadowing or work opportunities.

Is a Cell Biology and Neuroscience degree sufficient without the honors research addition?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Save your money.

If OD is your goal do well on the OAT, keep your GPA, and I guarantee you will get in somewhere.

What is your Rutgers cGPA and sGPA? I think only a few schools allow you to go in without a bachelor's degree nowadays and SUNY is one of them. I say apply early to try and get in. If you don't you can always re-enroll for spring semester and finish up your Bachelor's. I'd say the biggest deciding factor is your OAT score. And damn, Rutgers is 24k??