Graduating and don't know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioman_15

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating and my GPA is around 2.8, but it might be about a 3 if my community college credits and dual credit courses from high school count towards my GPA. My mom's saying I should get a job flipping burgers or maybe get a job teaching, because my GPA's low. I'd really like to avoid doing either of those. I don't really have any extenuating circumstances. I just struggled getting through some tough courses at my university. Is there anything I can do to get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can be a fake doctor, I mean a nurse - a DNP that is

Reactions: 1 user
I thought about pharmacy school, but I read that the job market is really bad. And I've heard that pa programs are sometimes more competitive to get into than medical school programs. I'm not really interested in nursing either.

I thought about pharmacy school, but I read that the job market is really bad. And I've heard that pa programs are sometimes more competitive to get into than medical school programs. I'm not really interested in nursing either.

Yeah it isnt easy to just slide into PA school, still very tough. IIRC most of them still have above 3.0s with ECs, LORs, and 2000 hours of paid clinical experience is also required (nurse, CNA, paramedic, etc). Yes I have been hearing the same thing about pharmacy as well. Just don't know what to tell you.

Honestly though, why do you think cc credits don't count? They will. If you were really dedicated and re took all the bad classes and got some clinical exp, maybe you could apply to some low tier DO schools if you really wanted to do this.

I don't know how feasible it is that you pull As when you did poorly before, however. You haven't exactly mentioned anything else about your app otherwise.

Last edited:
U wot m8? Mid level providers are necessary avenues for patients, considering the aging population and impending doctor shortage. I hope you're inheriting your dad private practice or something, because if not, have fun working at Aspen dental or some other corporate chain for 80k. Theres a reason I decided against dentistry early on in my search.

Seeing how nice of a person you are, I wouldn't enter a profession that provides elective care either ;)

Reactions: 1 users
U wot m8? Mid level providers are necessary avenues for patients, considering the aging population and impending doctor shortage. I hope you're inheriting your dads private practice or something, because if not, have fun working at Aspen dental or some other corporate chain for 80k. Theres a reason I decided against dentistry early on in my search.
Bro, you don't even understand what the DNP degree is about. DNP is not mid level position...they practice independently in many states and fighting for completely equality as Doctor. Calling them fake Doctor is stating a damn fact. PA and RN are much needed in the medical team. The DNP degree is a joke however...wtf is Doctor of Nursing Practice even mean...nurse is not Doctor

I have a lot of clinical experience. I'm willing to go to DO schools, but would still like to try to apply to some MD schools. I'm just not sure if the cc credits count, because they aren't factored into my gpa at my university.

I have a lot of clinical experience. I'm willing to go to DO schools, but would still like to try to apply to some MD schools. I'm just not sure if the cc credits count, because they aren't factored into my gpa at my university.

DO schools use grade replacement AFAIK, so read up on them. I would not consider MD an option if I were in your shoes TBH.

Last edited:
I am a very nice person. I just got back from spending my free time with kids at my local hospital, so they can have a sense of normalcy and socialization as they recover with no family or friends around.

Do you have any idea how imperative nurses are to the healthcare field? If you're going to make a dumb comment about someone else's work then please be educated on it.

Yes I understand the differences between an RN/LPN and DNP. The guy made a smart assed comment belittling nurses and the like.
Nah you're the one who don't understand his comment. He's not belittling anyone by calling DNP=nurse because that's exactly what it is. Chill out dude, you're reading too much into a simple comment.

Do you know if the grade replacement works between different colleges? Like if I got a C in organic chemistry at my old college and then retook organic chemistry at a new college, would that grade still be replaced? Or does it have to be from the same college?

Do you know if the grade replacement works between different colleges? Like if I got a C in organic chemistry at my old college and then retook organic chemistry at a new college, would that grade still be replaced? Or does it have to be from the same college?

I don't know. I can see them doing that. Im sure someone will chime in eventually or you could just post in the DO forum. They will still see your previous courses, but your GPA will be recalculated.

Nah you're the one who don't understand his comment. He's not belittling anyone by calling DNP=nurse because that's exactly what it is. Chill out dude, you're reading too much into a simple comment.

I see. I guess I just don't take kindly to pre-dents in a pre-med forum talking crap about other health care providers.

I see. I guess I just don't take kindly to pre-dents in a pre-med forum talking crap about other health care providers.

I'm quite knowledgable about pre-med affairs. You on the other hand should check out some of the most recent threads on DNPs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/dermcare-team.1171362/page-2#post-17151007
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-do-we-stop-nurse-practitioners.1170957/page-2
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nps-vs-mds.1168908/page-7

Can thank me later for saving you from embarrassment when the topic comes up with physicians.

Last edited:

Anyway, that flipping burgers comment really tripped me up. You can retake classes at a different college, but they have to exactly match in terms of credits: so 3 credits of Orgo for 3 credits of Orgo. You can post a question about grade forgiveness in the Pre-DO forum. PA is also a great alternative career choice. Also, all your credits from all institutions (including dual-enrollment) will be counted regardless of whether you apply MD or DO.

I have no idea what you're getting at with any of the posts you linked.

The providers mentioned are viable avenues for many patients and under most circumstances are able to deliver sufficient quality care. What don't you understand about that?

You honestly think clinics and practices run by NPs are hurting? Think again because they aren't. As I have said before they are necessary avenues for patients as we move toward a new era of health where telemedicine, NPs, and Pas will do a hell of a lot more.

Did you even read the ****ing threads or just look for things with DNP in them? They are hardly talking about DNPs. Go figure out how to do a root canal or something.

Perhaps it's not the OP who should consider DNP as a career, after all.

maybe try a postback and replace your grades to get into DO?