graduation...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nezzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
this question is for those who graduated optometry school. what do you advise students who are graduating soon and want to land a full time job that pays well?

i searched a lot about commercial vs opening up my own clinic...and i hear worrying news about the job market in commercial areas. honestly my dream would be to open up my own optometry clinic, but i have no clue where to start and i know it needs so much money. any ideas on how i could take little steps to get there? what have you tried, your experiences, etc everything is helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer: Start writing checks...........to everyone. Your state board. The AOA. The DEA. Medicare. Medicaid. Your health insurance company. Your landlord. Your car lot. The electric company, the gas company......Etc...

The even shorter answer: Pretend you were in a coma and accidently entered Optometry school (so you won't feel so bad for doing so). Then apply to dental school as fast as you can so you can obtain a real job (one that has a future) in 4 more years. Sorry for the truth.

Talk to your school's career center.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, there are a lot of jobs opening up right now because of Obamacare. Some OD's are taking an early retirement and the OD's who postponed retirement until their investments recovered from the recession are also retiring. Neither wants do deal with the healthcare reform.

It would be good to get into a healthy existing practice. The Vision Source practices are the cream of the crop in the private practice world. You can work a couple years as an associate and then put a down payment of say only 20K. Then you do an owner carry, NOT involving a bank. Have the existing OD mentor you on practice management and insurance billing, which will be your weak point. A good practice will literally pay for itself.

If you don't know how to negotiate, there are LOTS of consultants out there who can help you make that transition.

Don't start cold and solo. That doesn't work out so well. You REALLY have to know the business side of optometry to succeed doing that.

Every optometry school has a job board.

In the West Coast, Pacific Cataract and Laser Institute has a website for optometrists and a job board.

The AOA has a job board - and depending on State - they may have a classified ad section for local jobs.

Don't be afraid to apply as a new graduate. As long as you project confidence, the person interviewing you will have confidence in you. They're looking for OD's they don't have to babysit, basically. They're looking for easy going, low maintenance personalities. (A lot of OD's are so obsessive compulsive and high strung that no one wants to hire them). So if you have those two things going for you, that's even more impressive than having completed a Residency.

So ... just some advice.

There's a company called, "The Eye Group," (I believe that's the name) who will scout jobs on your behalf. They charge the seeker nothing, but will charge the person hiring you a consulting fee for hiring you.

The short answer: Start writing checks...........to everyone. Your state board. The AOA. The DEA. Medicare. Medicaid. Your health insurance company. Your landlord. Your car lot. The electric company, the gas company......Etc...

The even shorter answer: Pretend you were in a coma and accidently entered Optometry school (so you won't feel so bad for doing so). Then apply to dental school as fast as you can so you can obtain a real job (one that has a future) in 4 more years. Sorry for the truth.

:troll:

Reactions: 1 user