Grammar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LateToTheGame755

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I know having glaring grammar issues and major typos is obviously detrimental, but from what I read on here people expect to have like English PhD level essays...is this really necessary? I assume the people reviewing our applications are not English professors who know every intricacy of grammar, are they more interested in the essence of our writing than the "caliber"?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, it's not necessary. The art of hyperbole is demonstrated ubiquitously on this site. However, never assume and still write and re-write to the best of your abilities. Have numerous trustworthy, qualified individuals look it over for syntax and content.

No, that's just he usual SDN-level neuroticism being expressed.

You ARE expected to be able to explain things. But some people are simply better at exposition than others. We don't expect John Cheever or William Faulkner.

While I know having glaring grammar issues and major typos is obviously detrimental, but from what I read on here people expect to have like English PhD level essays...is this really necessary? I assume the people reviewing our applications are not English professors who know every intricacy of grammar, are they more interested in the essence of our writing than the "caliber"?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Examples of common mistakes. These have to hurt you a little bit, but let's say they're not deadly:
  • Their very good at their jobs.
  • Each one of our students are great writers.
  • John loves to run, sing, and plays.
  • Who do I give my essay to?
  • There aren't to many mistakes in this essay.
  • I believe that all students deserve his or her shot at a good medical school.
  • Sarah and me went to the store.
Examples of mistakes that make you seem like an inane weirdo (very common on PSs. I would consider these statements DOA):
  • "The blood, gushing down his shirt, seemed to be in a fixed volume of fluids that ran down his shirt like a waterfall; I sprinted as fast as my legs could carry me, running at top speed, and keeping an eye out on the patient in front of me, to get him to the emergency room as quickly as I could possibly do." <--- WTF?
  • "Physicians, like me, are scientific artists keeping track of data that are also responsible for finding new discoveries in science and making discoveries relatable to the general population." <---- o_O?
  • "The colorfully-shrouded deceased would be mounted on a throne looming over cousins and close friends ceremonially dancing below, their cries of grief echoing day and night deep into the surrounding bush." <---- Enough adjective phrases in one sentence to choke an entire admissions committee. X_X?

Reactions: 1 users