Gray hair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bumblebee611

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone-

I'm a 42 year old nontrad applicant and I've been covering up my gray hair (to its original very dark brown/black) for twenty years--I started going gray when I was very young. If I were to now let it grow out, as you women know, it would be a pretty arduous process. But as I am moving towards pursuing important dreams and frankly not having a whole lot of time for cosmetic routines, I am sorely tempted to let my gray hair grow out. I'd get some color touchups and highlights so it wouldn't look unkempt. But if I'm lucky enough to get an interview this fall, I don't want gray hair to keep me from being admitted. I know they won't openly or consciously discriminate on the basis of age, and they of course will know how old I am, but I would hate for an interviewer to view me less favorably because I "looked old" when I could have just solved that problem by coloring my hair (I'm in good physical shape and health and with my colored hair am usually perceived as younger than I actually am). Do you think gray hair will diminish my changes of admission?

Members don't see this ad.

I go natural. What's gray is gray. If you stay fit, are well groomed, you dress well...and you're authentic and relatable the other elements of stagecraft are negligible.

Fighting the aging process with make up and hair dye is a kind of vicious cycle, no. What's next..Botox...then you just look funny instead of aged.

I like my gray hair. Of course I'm not full Michael McDonald/Kenny Rogers either. But that didn't stop those 2 studs. Ask a sister of a certain certain age....those drawers were sailing towards that stage.

So I think it's more about mojo, myself.

Reactions: 4 users

Ok....?.....full gray feathered sweetness. Cream suit. Butterfly collar. Stomach and all. Sexy mf'er. Slingin D and handin out bubble gum. What?

Take notes cowardly hair dying men.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With all due respect to those who have replied, I think the question of gray hair and perceptions is considerably more complicated for women. I'd love to hear thoughts from someone, male or female, who has considered that complexity.

If you're female... People totally care. Sad but true. I would say keep coloring. I feel like it just makes it easier to stereotype you as "old" during a 15min interview / first impression if you've got a lot of gray. Is that wrong? Y absolutely. But it probably still happens, and given how nebulous and arbitrary med school admissions can be, don't give them a chance to think poorly of you (no matter how ridiculous that is).

If it were me, I'd continue to color it at least until you get accepted. The first two years (classroom) will give you time to let it go through that super awkward grow out phase if that's what you choose to do.

It most likely will impact your chances in someway, just like being obese or having tattoos/piercings. Just how it is. Stupid but even adcoms are shallow.

Idk what you guys are talking about. I'm watching Kenny Rogers videos on YouTube. And starting to question my sexuality.

(After the crescendo....brings it down to a hoarse whisper)....Laaaadayyeah. F. Interview over. Acceptance granted. I think I can speak for all people with functional sex organs. Adcomms included.

Reactions: 1 user
myasminerossi16.jpg

It's not a male female thing. At least not to me. As above gray is a beautiful color. And this woman is beautiful as all get out.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think what I will do is try to grow out my gray and look into some very temporary color to cover it up if I get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I agree that you should do what you feel is good for you.
I'm blessed with my dad's and mom's heads of hair. It's a gene thing. My husband, OTOH, sexy as all get out to me, has had white hairs mixing in since age 21. And yes, his gorgeous hair has receded. He'd happily stay with white hair than have loss of hair. He follows both his mom's and dad's gene's; although his mom was hit a lot harder, b/c she had a good deal of white hair at a young age, and then she went on to have serious hair loss before middle age. By the time she was 50 something, it was pretty much all gone.

But, yea. There are 20 somethings w/ white or grey hair, and there are 20 somethings with receding hairlines. Given the two, I'd choose the former over the latter.

Personally, I have told myself that if I get any greys, they will be covered with henna. LOL, but I drill my stylist every time she cuts my hair. She's on the look out.

Also, there are temporary color-washes, so you can try some stuff out and see how you feel. You can also go to a professional and have him/her do it gradually.
You have options.

People are also wearing a lot of spare-hair. Seeing this a lot. Half the time, people don't know who has extensions in and who does not--if the wearer goes to the right people/stylists. Went to a wedding and was shocked to find out the bride had extensions. She had the same long, wavy, light brown hair--totally looked like all her hair was all her hair--and she had not been exactly a stranger. I mean I would see her at least every two weeks or so. Her stylist knew what she was doing with her hair.

Good luck. Do what works for you.
I mean, I'm the kind of person that just wants to wash, comb, and go. My hair has curl, and I just go with it. I'm a nurse, so I don't do the fake nails/tips--hate them anyway. At the same time, I wouldn't want to have grey or white hair--so, I'd do whatever I had to do. LOL. But that's just me. I'm not a winter person. My color schemes are more summer, early fall. LOL.

Last edited:
Oh to the person that said, if you're female, people totally care, yea. That's kind of true. That's why I am on the look out. But it's also b/c I just like warmer colors and that's generally what looks good on me. \
Extra points for appearance are always added on to women--especially in our culture.
Pretty much most American women are not going to the beach with hair on their legs or under their arms.
Burning bras failed.
It is what it is.

Just did a google scholar search. A gender double standard in age stereotyping is pretty well established in the literature. And in our common sense I suppose. Maybe I'll have time to pull some of the articles from the medical library.

In this thread:

Nasrudin tells it all. ;)

myasminerossi16.jpg

It's not a male female thing. At least not to me. As above gray is a beautiful color. And this woman is beautiful as all get out.

It's not about whether gray hair is beautiful or not, and she's got a white gray ombré style going on that I'm really struggling to believe is natural- besides the point.

It's the growing out process, gray from the roots with brown/black/blonde whatever to the tips that I think would be the issue. Same deal if you're a fake blonde and have 4inch brown roots. Eek.

I don't dye my grays. Never will. I also don't wear makeup most of the time. That's fine for special occasions or for other people, but not for me. As someone else already said, go with what makes you feel comfortable in your own skin (and hair). Because interviewers will pick up on lack of confidence above focusing on some gray roots.

Reactions: 1 users
Idk what you guys are talking about. I'm watching Kenny Rogers videos on YouTube. And starting to question my sexuality.

(After the crescendo....brings it down to a hoarse whisper)....Laaaadayyeah. F. Interview over. Acceptance granted. I think I can speak for all people with functional sex organs. Adcomms included.
You cheered me up lol

Ok....?.....full gray feathered sweetness. Cream suit. Butterfly collar. Stomach and all. Sexy mf'er. Slingin D and handin out bubble gum. What?

Take notes cowardly hair dying men.

This almost made me cry of laughter lol! :) "Stomach and all"

I'd keep it colored and then let it go gray right around the first anatomy exam, just for the comedic effect. "Yeah, med school is a lot more stressful than I thought it would be..."

Reactions: 5 users
I'm in my early twenties. I have numerous grey's on my crown, super noticeable since I have dark brownish/black hair. Just dye it, I do it myself it's easy af

I'm female. I have maybe 10% gray hair. I don't color my hair. I got accepted to medical school. I wouldn't sweat this too much. It's all about confidence. Choose the look that makes you feel the best about yourself.

black eye shadow = no gray hair. just make sure you wear dark clothing so when it rubs of it wont be noticeable. :)

I wouldn't attend a med school interview with grey hair. For men it "gives them character" but on women, it just makes them look old. At least that's what society seems to think.:rolleyes:

It's not going to help you. You obviously prefer the way you look without gray hair otherwise you wouldn't have been coloring it for 20 years. And if you end up waitlisted you will always wonder if you should've dyed it after all. I think you should continue covering the grey until after acceptance. Let the awkward growing out phase happen while you're siloed in the library during first year, not when you're trying to look your best at interviews.

Keep coloring. You will definitely diminish your chances if you go gray. It is funny but, I knew a girl , who colored her blond hair brown for the interview, because she did not want to be perceived as a dumb blond. We live in a world of stereotypes and looking at gray hair people think old and sick and sometimes weak and incapable. I went gray very young, so I understand.
It is possible to color your hair at home. If you use professional products, you will get very good and natural results. If you choose to later go gray, just go to the hair salon and ask them to color all your length gray - this way you will avoid long growing out period

Husband started getting white hairs in his early to mid 20s of all things. Same thing with his mom and grandfather. OTOH, I have been most fortunate, and I only highlight my hair, especially in the summer. I am fortunate with this part of genetics. The day I see one, that sucker is getting pulled. When I can't pull them out anymore, I will have them taken care of by a professional or do a good henna.

Regardless of what you do, I say if you decide to go for some sort of change, find someone that really specializes in coloring and that uses good product.

The other option is a henna product; but it's not good to color over them, so. . .

I hate to say it, but there is a double standard toward women. It's unfair, but do you really have time to change the whole idiotic culture before you try to get into MS.

And then OTOH, it may not matter. Faux gray is in for youngsters--along with numerous other colors. But since those that will weigh in will do so with a more conservative perspective, well, watchya gonna do?

I have bald students, and grey haired students.

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. Last year I graduated one at 50.

Hello everyone-

I'm a 42 year old nontrad applicant and I've been covering up my gray hair (to its original very dark brown/black) for twenty years--I started going gray when I was very young. If I were to now let it grow out, as you women know, it would be a pretty arduous process. But as I am moving towards pursuing important dreams and frankly not having a whole lot of time for cosmetic routines, I am sorely tempted to let my gray hair grow out. I'd get some color touchups and highlights so it wouldn't look unkempt. But if I'm lucky enough to get an interview this fall, I don't want gray hair to keep me from being admitted. I know they won't openly or consciously discriminate on the basis of age, and they of course will know how old I am, but I would hate for an interviewer to view me less favorably because I "looked old" when I could have just solved that problem by coloring my hair (I'm in good physical shape and health and with my colored hair am usually perceived as younger than I actually am). Do you think gray hair will diminish my changes of admission?

Youthfulness and vitality shine through, regardless of age or hair color (and the same goes for stagnant laziness despite luscious locks). Be you, be fabulous, and rock what you've got, dyed or not.