GRE not required or no GRE cutoff schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology 76

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I feel as though my applicant stats for grad school are decent but I still have to take the GRE. I'm just now starting to look for schools but I was wondering about how many clinical phd programs out there do not require the GRE or do not have cut offs? Are these schools reputable at all? I think WashU doesn't have a cut off and that's a decent school but are there any others? Are these schools still extremely competitive and funded?

I may end up doing okay on the GRE but if not I'm just looking for other options.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

you should just take the GRE... practically all of them still want to see it. even if they don't base their entrances on it much, it's still used by almost all Clinical PHD.

cutoffs are not that bad, most schools only have 1000 or 1100 as the cut off.

you should just take the GRE... practically all of them still want to see it. even if they don't base their entrances on it much, it's still used by almost all Clinical PHD.

cutoffs are not that bad, most schools only have 1000 or 1100 as the cut off.

Yes, you should certainly take the GRE. I would say more the issue about cutoffs is that most schools don't admit to a cutoff, but I would be surprised if pretty much all don't have one. At least on the clinical PhD side.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the responses. I'm definitely going to take the GRE. I'm just worried that if I don't do well I won't have any chance of getting in anywhere despite decent stats otherwise. I was sort of under the impression that you needed a 1200 to even be considered. I suppose this isn't entirely true?

Yes, you should certainly take the GRE. I would say more the issue about cutoffs is that most schools don't admit to a cutoff, but I would be surprised if pretty much all don't have one. At least on the clinical PhD side.

Agreed, often you'll find an unofficial cutoff listed in the FAQ on their page about applications. It'll often say something about how you need a score of xxxx to truly be competitive for admission.

A great curriculum vita can also help with a low GRE but don' sell yourself short if you haven't taken it yet. Buy a GRE prep book with lots of practice tests (the Kaplan one I got had 6 or so that I could take online) and study hard and don't worry about a score you haven't gotten yet.

Thank you for the responses. I'm definitely going to take the GRE. I'm just worried that if I don't do well I won't have any chance of getting in anywhere despite decent stats otherwise. I was sort of under the impression that you needed a 1200 to even be considered. I suppose this isn't entirely true?

It really depends since it seems like most programs don't just focus on one aspect of the application. They also look at letters of rec, GPA (could be undergrad, grad, psych, last 2 years....), interviews etc.

Basically, it's a whole package, although a poor GRE score may be a bit harder to overcome sometimes, but if the rest of your application is solid then it should be fine. Plus you're already ahead of the game since it's not like you've taken the GREs and done poorly. This is all speculation so you may do very well especially if you prepare!

dude, what kind of program wouldn't look at GRE scores? That's scary... most schools do say their cut off is like 1000 or 1100, but often will let you know that the majority of applicants have substantially higher stats. Look at the average statistics... that is honestly a good indication of the scores they're looking for.

Washington University is better than an alight school; it's really good. Their GRE averages are very high as well. The better the program and better the location, the more competitive it is. So keep in mind if your stats are low... start looking for programs in South-Dakotaesque areas.

If you're GPA is amazing, then a lower GRE may be over looked if everything else is spot on.

But honestly, the best advice I can give anyone is to study their ass off until they can't anymore for the GRE months and months in advance. Memorize the Kaplan 500 and know your math. It's SOOO much easier to get a 700 or 750 on the math section than the verbal. That is without a doubt a running theme in the GRE stats. I can not stress the fact that you should take the GRE twice. Don't take it too many times (like 3 or 4) because some schools will look at that like this: why did they have to take it 5 times to get a score everyone else got in 2?

No matter what, you should take the GRE. Even if you got a really terrible score on the general exam, you could retake it. TBH, the tradeoff of study/cost for the GRE is orth it for how much it improves your application. Guaranteed, if you don't take it admissions will wonder why.

I've been using Grockit's free practice testing system (MMOG-style), which has been very helpful for measuring my progress. If your problem area is in quantitative (like me), then I recommend Forgotten Algebra to help study for that. Emphasis on geometry formulas (circle area, triangle degrees etc) and basic-intermediate algebra.

You'll see stuff like (3x-2)(4x+7) in the practice tests much more than complex matrix problems etc. Just don't psych yourself out about it.

Score Cutoff: The lack of listed protocol for some schools worried me a bit. I guess some schools determine the cutoff when they get all the apps. So if they have 400 people apply, and 300 of them have scores below 900, they can probably safely make 900 the cutoff for the season and still have a good mix off applicants.

Original question: I have seen quite a few that don't technically require the GRE, but of those most state that you need it to be competitive. It's just honest. If the decision is between you and someone that took it (any score), all things being equal they would probably get in over you because they put in more visible effort.

Last edited:
Some schools may not have cut-offs, but I'm guessing that places like Wash U (considering what a great place it is and how many applicants they receive) will want high GRE scores. Their averages are 640 for Verbal and 720? for quant I believe (last year). I've interviewed there before and it is an AMAZING program....and the people I met on interview weekend were extremely incredible. I would definitely study as much as possible and try to shoot for a strong GRE score. At the very least, a strong GRE can get your app looked at and get you invited for interviews. Good luck!!!

dude, what kind of program wouldn't look at GRE scores? That's scary... most schools do say their cut off is like 1000 or 1100, but often will let you know that the majority of applicants have substantially higher stats. Look at the average statistics... that is honestly a good indication of the scores they're looking for.

Washington University is better than an alight school; it's really good. Their GRE averages are very high as well. The better the program and better the location, the more competitive it is. So keep in mind if your stats are low... start looking for programs in South-Dakotaesque areas.

If you're GPA is amazing, then a lower GRE may be over looked if everything else is spot on.

But honestly, the best advice I can give anyone is to study their ass off until they can't anymore for the GRE months and months in advance. Memorize the Kaplan 500 and know your math. It's SOOO much easier to get a 700 or 750 on the math section than the verbal. That is without a doubt a running theme in the GRE stats. I can not stress the fact that you should take the GRE twice. Don't take it too many times (like 3 or 4) because some schools will look at that like this: why did they have to take it 5 times to get a score everyone else got in 2?

So I am pretty worried. I have take the GRE's 3 times and I can't seem to break 1000, Ugh! I just can't hack standardized tests...
I am currently a masters in counseling student but figured out that this program doesn't fit me. I am applying to transfer to a Clinical Psych PhD and have a great application (2 years clinical experience, 100+ Supervised hours, research experience including a conference presentation, great recommendations, etc.) but will it even be looked at if I dont have a score higher than 1000? The school I want to get in is U. Montana due to the work of one of their professors but I wonder if it will even get looked at.

Quoted above says I shouldn't take the test again. What do ya'll think? I could try one last shot at the GRE's (that would be the 4th time) or would it look bad to have 4 GRE postings on my app with the possibility of the 4th being just as bad as the rest?

So I am pretty worried. I have take the GRE's 3 times and I can't seem to break 1000, Ugh! I just can't hack standardized tests...
I am currently a masters in counseling student but figured out that this program doesn't fit me. I am applying to transfer to a Clinical Psych PhD and have a great application (2 years clinical experience, 100+ Supervised hours, research experience including a conference presentation, great recommendations, etc.) but will it even be looked at if I dont have a score higher than 1000? The school I want to get in is U. Montana due to the work of one of their professors but I wonder if it will even get looked at.

Quoted above says I shouldn't take the test again. What do ya'll think? I could try one last shot at the GRE's (that would be the 4th time) or would it look bad to have 4 GRE postings on my app with the possibility of the 4th being just as bad as the rest?

How far away are you from getting at least 1000? To be honest, if I was in your place I would just try to sit down either for a solid 3 months to study and even get a tutor or take off a year to study continuously. Even though schools say they don't have a cutoff and look at everybody's application, I do think you're chances are slim if you can't break the 1000.
Even though my scores have been above 1000 each time, I have taken the GRE also 3 times in order to break the 1200 but have yet to be successful.

I have taken the GRE twice. The first time..in the LOW 900s. The second time...broke 1200. It took me a solid 3 months of studying math rules, applications, and practice problems. Taking the timed practice tests is crucial, because this will prepare you for the anxiety and pressure that comes along with the ticking clock. Spend some real time with the prep books, I especially got a lot of out of the Princeton Review books. Good luck!