GRE prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nismo13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most of you guys already got your admittance or are waiting for it, but I am studying for my GRE in may and have some questions for you guys that already took it,

I looked online and the company that makes the GRE exam ,ETS , does not have or offer any practice tests online. So I have bought the GRE premier kaplan book as well as their math workbook. I am wondering how similar is the actual gre to the practice tests put out by kaplan or princeton review?

Also if I don't do so well on my may 19 test and I retake it in June or something, then is the highest score sent out to my schools or how does that work?

Members don't see this ad.

All of your scores will be sent out. But each school is unique in how they look at them. Some take highest in one sitting, some take highest in each section. I used a Kaplan book and it worked pretty well for me. I've heard it's good to try and practice problems in a variety of the companies books to expose yourself to new words, etc.

Schools will see both scores but some only take the higher score, others average the two, etc. You just need to check with your prospective schools.

Everything you are doing to prepare sounds good. I studied a little bit of vocab and a little bit of math a few days a week doing the problems and I scored well enough the first time I took the test. The practice questions in the booklets are similar to what is on the test. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The ETS book comes with a disc that has a practice test. If you can master every question in the ETS book and practice test, then you should perform at least average on the exam.

I used the Kaplan Math and Verbal books. Both worked pretty well.

If you're looking for a practice test or a practice quiz, Kaplan offers both online for free. Check out their website. They were both very useful to me. In particular, some of the math problems presented online were almost identical to what I saw on the test. The verbal studying is more hit-or-miss. You may study 500 words and not see any of them on the GRE.

I have not yet taken the GRE but have experience with taking the CPA exam(less than 50% of applicants pass all 4 sections in one try, very difficult exam) which I will apply to my GRE study approach.

I will probably use Kaplan's review books. I plan on studying a 2-3 hours aday for 1-2 months. My experience with the CPA exam taught me that repetitionis key. The more questions you see and are able to answer the better prepared you'll be. I would study a chapter, watch lectures and work through 1,000+ questions for every section of the CPA exam that I was studding for. I would like to apply the same approach to the GRE. I know it may be overkill but I tend to struggle on standardized tests. I'm also likely a bit older than you (30) and I've been out of school for a few years (BS in 2008 and MS in 2009). I think I'll need to review the basic math more than anything since I haven't used it in so long. I only want to take the GRE once and to score competitively on it so I'm willing to study hard for it.

Overall I'd say any review material is fine as long as you put in the workto prepare yourself for the exam whether it takes you a week or two months.

Last edited:
I took the GRE twice because I did poorly the first time around. I used Kaplan to study the first time around. The second time, I primarily used ETS's book and practice test as well as Princeton Review. Princeton Review's book has an online component with 4 practice tests that are extremely similar to the GRE and they score it right there for you. The scores on their tests are a really great indicator of how you will do on the real thing come test day. I did much better the second time around using their materials, scoring in the 80th percentile on verbal and 90th in quantitative. I would definitely recommend Princeton Review over Kaplan. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I know that most of you guys already got your admittance or are waiting for it, but I am studying for my GRE in may and have some questions for you guys that already took it,

I looked online and the company that makes the GRE exam ,ETS , does not have or offer any practice tests online. So I have bought the GRE premier kaplan book as well as their math workbook. I am wondering how similar is the actual gre to the practice tests put out by kaplan or princeton review?

Also if I don't do so well on my may 19 test and I retake it in June or something, then is the highest score sent out to my schools or how does that work?

hey you may want to check these links.
http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare
http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/powerprep2
http://store.digitalriver.com/store/ets/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.3551800

I remember using the powerprep software and liked it quite a bit. They gave us two powerprep exams for free (no idea how it is now). Before I started studying I took one exam then I studied for a month or so with the kaplan books and then took the other power prep about two weeks before the test. It was within 20pts of my actual. Hope the helps.

I used the Kaplan books and they were helpful. I have had a few friends take the Kaplan Class once or twice a week and do really well. One of them scored a 1200 on their first attempt after attending these sessions. I eventually got up to a 155 Q and 149V (1130-1150) on old scale but it took 3 times. Some of the schools I applied to took your highest attempt on each section with all the GRE you took combined. Most just took your highest one attempt. If your course load is light this semester and you have the financial means avaliable(the class is expensive), I would recommend the class. This forces you to spend time each week preparing. Although I did prepare for the GRE, I was taking 16 hours so the GRE did not get all of my focus. If the class does not work out for you, the books will give you a great starting point and tricks to spot the traps on the test. Best of Luck.

I'm taking the GRE in april and I'm taking 23 units right now and 2 volunteers. I'm scared I'm not gonna do well on the GRE but I have the ETS book, Kaplan vocab flash cards and I just bought the Kaplan GRE book and Nova math review.

Should I take the Kaplan online review? It's 400 I believe and it's just videos online. Does anybody know if this would benefit me a lot and if it's worth it?

I can't really speak for the new GRE since I took it last year, but I used the Kaplan book to study and found it very helpful. The book I used had several practice tests, an they had online practice tests/guides as well. On test day I definitely used their advice on the questions and found it incredibly similar. I spent roughly 2 months studying for it over the summer at at least an hour a day (some days more).

After 10+ years out of college (i.e. It's been forever since I did algebra, etc.) here's what I did to get myself a darn fine GRE score:

1. Took the power prep simulated practice test to see how I would do with no prep. Recorded score.

2. Read The Princeton Review "Math Workout for the New GRE" book (2nd edition)* cover to cover and did every dang practice problem, practice test, etc. that was in it.

3. Got Kaplan's "New GRE Vocabulary Flashcards" (little box with 500 cards).

4. Retook Power Prep test, got excited about improved score.

5. Took GRE, got great score!

*Note: while I highly recommend this book, there were quite a few typos and even a couple of wrong answers to sample questions. This was purchased last August, and I'm sure they have a newer edition with less mistakes by now.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
P.S. The Power Prep simulated test is pretty much exactly like the real test, so that's your best indication of what the real test is like. And FYI, the 500 vocab words I studied came up quite a bit on the test. That little box of cards saved me!

Thanks for the advice guys

If im applying this summer, cycle starts, in July, what would be the absolute latest that I could take the GRE?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys

If im applying this summer, cycle starts, in July, what would be the absolute latest that I could take the GRE?

I'm in the same boat. It depends on the school you are applying for. You can go to PTCAS and see the dates each school requires you to have done the GRE by. I myself don't plan on retaking the GRE until this August. I think for a few of the schools I'm thinking of applying to August seems to be cutting it close but I really don't plan on getting in to studying until May and I think i heard you should take a few months to study for it. I thought I'd be studying for it by now but my undergraduate schooling has kept me busy or maybe I'm procrastinating, i need to really get in to studying for this GRE soon.

Edit: Actually August might not be that late.

Yeah I already registered for may 19th so I'm stuck there lol I'm probably gonna end up studying 2 weeks before the test when my semester ends. If I do terribly then I will retake it in June or July