GRE score for Epidemiology MPH Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

volleyball93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What would be considered a safe GRE score, especially quant score, for good epidemiology MPH programs? I recently took the GRE and am a little worried about my quant score. My scores were 158 V, 156 Q, 4.5 W.

I'm double majoring in a foreign language, which could explain why the verbal score is higher than the quant score, but I'm worried that it will look bad to schools. I've heard that 70th percentile is needed to be competitive, and while the verbal score is fine, I think a 156 falls around the 65th percentile.

Despite having a lot of research experience in undergrad, do you think it's necessary to retake the GRE and get a higher quant score? Obviously I'd prefer not to have to take it again, but I don't want to automatically count myself out of top programs.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that you necessarily have to take it again. While your Quant score is important (and you didn't really do badly), they will also look at any quantitative classes, such as Calculus, when determining if you have the quantitative abilities to make it in an epidemiology program. If you have the time and the money, it could help slightly to retake it if you are really interested in making it into a top program. But I would only retake it if you're sure that you could make at least another 3-4 points.

I took the test with very little prep and got a 160v 154q. I re-registered the next day, bought magoosh, studied as much as I could while working full-time, and I took it about a month later. I got 161v 155q. I realize now my time should have been spent with my PSs; with the goal of having my SOPHAS app in as soon as I got my official scores.

In the end IntriguedStudent is right. If you are positive you can bump it up by 3-4, you are done with the rest of your app, and the money wont take away other SOPHAS designations, I say go for it.

Reactions: 1 user