GRE score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UH-epi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to public health schools for epidemiology. I was just curious to know what the minimum acceptable score is for the verbal part of the GRE. I made a 690 on the quantitative section, but my score on the verbal section was terrible (below 500)! My combined was over 1100...Should I retake it, or is it not that big of a deal for admissions committees?

Members don't see this ad.

UH-epi said:
I am applying to public health schools for epidemiology. I was just curious to know what the minimum acceptable score is for the verbal part of the GRE. I made a 690 on the quantitative section, but my score on the verbal section was terrible (below 500)! My combined was over 1100...Should I retake it, or is it not that big of a deal for admissions committees?
don't make a big deal out of it..its not as bad as you think.
its true that a lot depends upon your entire app, not just your scores.however, remember that the initial weeding-out process in a lot of the "good" places(before the selection committee sits down with those approved) is done by a secretary who usually has a cut-off score below which she will chuck the app,no matter how good it is overall.
also, some programs have a cut off score,which has been the trend for admitted candidates for the past few years.you should find this info on their sites.
now, a good score(entirely subjective) makes it a lot easier to get to the second stage of the selection process.it, however, is not what will make/break your application.i know people with scores like yours get great programs,esp in texas.
moral of the story-think about where you want to go,and how strong your app is overall.if you don't have much research experience etc, then you might want to think about taking the GRE again.if you have a research background, mail the programs and see what they think..just my 2c.

UH-epi said:

Hihi!

The above poster is correct, many schools do have a minimum cutoff and simply will not give your application serious consideration unless you meet this minimum number. It varies from school to school, but I think all applicants should at least strive for the 50th percentile or better on all sections. If you don't meet the school's minimum cutoff number (whatever it may be), some will simply deny your application outright, while others may require a substantial strength in another area to compensate. Regardless of which it is, as an applicant I wouldn't want to have to face either. My school has outright rejected people solely on the basis of GRE scores.

I think you should study hard and retake the GRE. It's definately possible to do well, and then you'll have less to worry about. Also: GRE Verbal of < 500 isn't necessarily under the 50th percentile. I'd check your score report first, and go from there. 480-490, for example, is often above the 50th percentile mark but not by much. If that's you, don't worry at all, you'll probably be just fine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
AspiringDoctor9 said:
The above poster is correct..
:D :D ...and you can call me "uhoh!".. :laugh:

I took the GRE last spring and did dismally on the quantitative; I studied, but only on paper and not with the computer. If I retake the GRE again, will my new score be averaged with the old score, or
replace the old score,
or will the first score be used?

If the latter is the answer, then there is no use in retaking it.

Also, if I do retake the GRE, how does this look to admissions committees?

Thx

eccles1214 said:
If I retake the GRE again, will my new score be averaged with the old score, or replace the old score, or will the first score be used?
1) from what i remember, the GRE reports all your test scores to the admissions committee. different schools have different ways of looking at the scores. some see the first, some the best, some the latest, and some average it out..i think you should confirm this, as i am not 100% certain
2) i would recommend taking the exam again only if
a) you really did sub 1000-ish
b) the programs you are considering look at the best scores only.
c) your overall application is not very strong. if you have experience in the field already, or have a strong application apart from your score, it won't make a huge difference.
good luck! :luck: