"Greatest Accomplishment/Challenge" Secondary Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strayaxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to write my secondary essays for those questions that ask for your greatest personal accomplishment or your greatest personal challenge, which I think can probably be derived from the same experience. The problem is, I can't decide what to use.

I am not sure just how personal to get, and if there is something that can be taken the wrong way. Should I steer clear of anything that might make myself or my family look less than perfect ? I mean, I would like to be able to show my humanity but at the same time don't want to tell adcoms too much! Sorry, it might be hard to answer given that I don't really want to spill my life story on this thread, but I was hoping to get some feedback!

Other than these issues that I am thinking about, I don't feel like I have much to write about except some sort of generic, work was hard, but i got through it sort of essay. It is safe, but probably boring!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Strayaxx,

In general, I would recommend against an essay that discusses any mental health or drug/alcohol problems you may have experienced yourself. It is all too easy for admcoms to worry that the stress of med school will bring these issues back to the forefront. However, properly handled, these can be great essays if a family member or friend experienced such a problem. I would also steer clear of anything illegal that you could be held responsible for. Other than these issues, I think most topics could potentially be good for a secondary essay. Oh, and don't worry about your family seeming less than perfect - no one has a perfect family! And whatever you do, don't write that your greatest accomplishment was studying for the MCAT or some other grade.

Hi all,

I am trying to write my secondary essays for those questions that ask for your greatest personal accomplishment or your greatest personal challenge, which I think can probably be derived from the same experience. The problem is, I can't decide what to use.

I am not sure just how personal to get, and if there is something that can be taken the wrong way. Should I steer clear of anything that might make myself or my family look less than perfect ? I mean, I would like to be able to show my humanity but at the same time don't want to tell adcoms too much! Sorry, it might be hard to answer given that I don't really want to spill my life story on this thread, but I was hoping to get some feedback!

Other than these issues that I am thinking about, I don't feel like I have much to write about except some sort of generic, work was hard, but i got through it sort of essay. It is safe, but probably boring!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Need more specifics, but no. How can you face a challenge if everything is perfect?

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad :)
Strayaxx,

In general, I would recommend against an essay that discusses any mental health or drug/alcohol problems you may have experienced yourself. It is all too easy for admcoms to worry that the stress of med school will bring these issues back to the forefront. However, properly handled, these can be great essays if a family member or friend experienced such a problem. I would also steer clear of anything illegal that you could be held responsible for. Other than these issues, I think most topics could potentially be good for a secondary essay. Oh, and don't worry about your family seeming less than perfect - no one has a perfect family! And whatever you do, don't write that your greatest accomplishment was studying for the MCAT or some other grade.

Thank you for the advice! I don't have a personal mental health/drug issue in mind, but was toying with the idea of talking about a family members's past issue or talking about my own experience with a physical health issue that is now resolved, but had been difficult to deal with and taught me a lot about the patient's perspective from personal experience. I guess either of them could be a good essay, right?

Strayaxx,

I used dealing with a combination of a stressful friend situation with studying and succeeding on the mcat as an essay for "how do you deal with stress and how will you deal with it as a doctor".

I guess slightly different question though.

Thank you for the advice! I don't have a personal mental health/drug issue in mind, but was toying with the idea of talking about a family members's past issue or talking about my own experience with a physical health issue that is now resolved, but had been difficult to deal with and taught me a lot about the patient's perspective from personal experience. I guess either of them could be a good essay, right?

Yes, though keep in mind that lots of PS's every year are written about the applicant's or their family member's health issue. Nothing wrong with that but do your best to make your story unique and memorable!

For my challenge essays I talked about a family member who struggled with alcohol and drugs and the lessons learned from taking care of someone in this situation. So far people have liked this essay of mine the best. If you'd like someone to read over yours just pm me and we can swap essays. Always nice to hear about people with similar situations.