Greatly appreciate an opinion on MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Janus_Kinase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which schools specifically are you looking at? I can tell you if your verbal falls within their 10-90%

So depending on the UC, the bottom 10% is an 8. So your 7 is probably like bottom 1% making it pretty much impossible to get in with that verbal. For Stanford, the bottom 10% is an 11

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. So the rest of my app needs to be 100% amazing for me to be that 1%.

It seems that if I want to stay in CA I need to retake. I am just worried if I get a lower score, how will that look...

Hey Janus, do you have the MSAR?

Check the MSAR and filter down schools where 7 is their 10th percentile. Should give you a handful of schools

@texan2414 I dont see that option but I just got MSAR and notice that all CA, and most schools in general, do have that 8 as their bottom 10th percentile. Soo it seems like I dont have an option other than retake. Funny how I thought the VR was a little easier than my practice FLs but did my worst and you thought vr was tough but did pretty well. Congrats on your score man! :)

Hey thanks Janus Kinase. I was browsing MSAR all evening long two schools that came to my attention with 7 VR at 10th percentile were Marshall Univ and Univ of Missouri Kansas City SOM.

I applied this cycle with score similar to yours 12/7/11 with no interview. I am retaking it on Jan 8th. Unless you are URM or some mid-west in state, any section lower than 8 is a retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Whats up @Janus_Kinase! didn't get to see how you did from the nov 7 thread.

I agree with most people here, that 7 in verbal is going to hold you back in most places. Don't worry though you can def bring that 7 up to a 9-10. I have faith in you :)

Hey thanks Janus Kinase. I was browsing MSAR all evening long two schools that came to my attention with 7 VR at 10th percentile were Marshall Univ and Univ of Missouri Kansas City SOM.
Thanks man yeah I have been looking on MSAR and rounding up some options

I applied this cycle with score similar to yours 12/7/11 with no interview. I am retaking it on Jan 8th. Unless you are URM or some mid-west in state, any section lower than 8 is a retake.
Ah man sorry to hear that and honestly gives me the nerves because I decided not to retake. Can I ask you how the rest of your app looked and what schools you applied to (MD, DO, both)? If you dont mind answering. And yes I am URM.

Whats up @Janus_Kinase! didn't get to see how you did from the nov 7 thread.

I agree with most people here, that 7 in verbal is going to hold you back in most places. Don't worry though you can def bring that 7 up to a 9-10. I have faith in you :)
Where were you when I needed you?!? Lol I decided to not retake and get a refund. I am okay with that decision.

I know I am capable of raising that 7 but honestly I do not want to retake that 29. I will be applying strategically and schools that review apps holistically. I think I have a shot a lower-tier MD schools and DOs.

How is your decision going? retaking the old one or studying for new one?

I think that might be a good idea @Janus_Kinase. While I think I remember reading somewhere on SDN that a 7 is the cutoff at a lot of schools, I think this post may be better off if it was directed at some of the adcoms circulating the med forum. They are quite honest and their two cents is hard to come by in this process. Good luck!