GREs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navybluedreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question(s) - So I'm taking my GREs this Thursday (commence nervous laughter), and I was wondering how the process of submitting my scores go? Will there be anything I have to do the actual day of the GREs in regards to the programs I'm applying? Or can I just go in, get the job done, and then insert my scores when I eventually apply with PTCAS next cycle?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You get to senf your scores to 3- 4 schools ( I can't remember an exact number) . Take advantage of this because its like 27 dollars per school after. Have an idea of schools you want to apply to.

I don't have a concrete idea of where I'm going to apply just yet. Should I just send it to schools that are in "most likely" category? Also - what happens when these scores get sent out but you eventually end up retaking it for a better score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sending it to a most likely school is better than not using those attempts. If you take the test your first time and send it to schools they will have this on file. If you then decide to retake the test then you will send your updated scores to the schools of your choice . Schools will always look at your highest test scores. So with that said you also get to see your scores after you take the test, you get the option to send scores to schools or not to send them at all it is your choice. Let me know if this helps.

Ohh okay. For example, when would you suggest I not submit a score? I'm a bit apprehensive about my AW score and that it might be lower than a 4.
For example, if I end up getting like a 3 or 3.5 on AW and avg Q and V scores (low to mid 150's), do you recommend I nix my submission of scores to schools?

Thanks for your help!

Ah that's a hard call. You paid to take the test so it's your call you know. I don't want to give you bad advice. I would send scores that I was personally happy with that is close to whats average or what schools I'm interested in accept . I know ppl say to aim for a combined total of 300 and 3.5 and up on the AW. So its up to you. Ppl have been accepted with below a 300 combined score. But do your best. Send scores you're happy with. I don't want to tell you what a cut off is for sending scores because its up to you ya know? I sent all my scores to schools. Because some schools, if you retake the test, will take the highest scores from both attempts. So its hard to tell you. I'm sorry I wasn't much help :(

Just wanted to provide you with things to think about

Last edited:
Make a list of 4-5 schools your interested and send your scores on test day, it'll save you about $100 in the long run.

I only took the test once, as I got the scores I needed, but I'd recommend fully intending to send your scores no matter what. Firstly, you paid for the test and put time in(?) studying, so to wipe out a 4 hour exam wouldn't be smart. Secondly, if you go into to the test with the mentality "it's no big deal if I don't get my scores cause I just won't submit them" you won't perform to your capabilities.

Good luck, I found the GREs weren't nearly as bad as I had made them out to be in my nervous pre-pt brain.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you know that the essays are FIRST! Some people study and study and when they realize that the essays come first, they blank out and end up doing horrible in the AW section. That's the only score that you have to wait for, so make sure you do well on it... and the rest of the exam of course. I got a 145v 157q and I just went ahead and sent them to the schools. It's a combined 302 so I took it... If I would've gotten both in the 140s, then I know I would've had to retaken it so I would've then decided to send them only because I know that my GPA (4.0) would help me in that regard. So many things can affect your decision at that point. Low score + high GPA = send them. Low score + low GPA = don't. Get what I'm saying? It's good that you're thinking about it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Make a list of 4-5 schools your interested and send your scores on test day, it'll save you about $100 in the long run.

I only took the test once, as I got the scores I needed, but I'd recommend fully intending to send your scores no matter what. Firstly, you paid for the test and put time in(?) studying, so to wipe out a 4 hour exam wouldn't be smart. Secondly, if you go into to the test with the mentality "it's no big deal if I don't get my scores cause I just won't submit them" you won't perform to your capabilities.

Good luck, I found the GREs weren't nearly as bad as I had made them out to be in my nervous pre-pt brain.

Well said! I completely agree just couldn't word it at the time lol

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I'm about to take the GRE for the first time too. Do we have to go in with the GRE codes already memorized? Or is there a search engine or something on test day? Also, what is the difference between the PTCAS GRE code, University code, and Department code? <-- really confused about this part- maybe just because I haven't opened an application yet (applying in this next cycle).

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I'm about to take the GRE for the first time too. Do we have to go in with the GRE codes already memorized? Or is there a search engine or something on test day? Also, what is the difference between the PTCAS GRE code, University code, and Department code? <-- really confused about this part- maybe just because I haven't opened an application yet (applying in this next cycle).

http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/gre.aspx?navID=10737426788

This explains the differences. It just determines where the schools want the scores sent (straight to PTCAS, to the grad school itself, or the DPT department). You don't have to memorize them, you can search for them the day of the test. I had written mine down, but duh! they don't let you take anything into the test with you.

FWIW, I took the GRE in June last year, but didn't submit applications to most of my schools until September-December, and they had no problems matching the GRE scores I sent to my application several months later, so utilize those four included scores if you can. I also allowed time to retake it if necessary to make me less anxious about doing well the first time, but in the long run I determined the stress/cost was simply not worth it.

Personally, I found that most schools I interviewed at took more of an interest in the AW and the verbal portion of the GRE opposed to the quantitative section.

Personally, I found that most schools I interviewed at took more of an interest in the AW and the verbal portion of the GRE opposed to the quantitative section.

I found this to be the case at a number of schools as well.