Grey's Anatomy Surgical Communications Fellowship Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grey's Anatomy Fellowship

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Barbara Friend, and I am the current Director of Medical Research in the writers' office of ABC's Grey's Anatomy.

We are currently seeking applicants for our Surgical Communications Fellowship program, looking for someone to start as soon as July, but open to anyone who might be interested anytime in the future. It's especially a great opportunity for those in their research year.

To briefly explain the fellowship: the candidate will work with the writers to help develop and pitch medical stories for upcoming episodes. The candidate will also work closely with our medical producers and consultants to help ensure "surgical accuracy." The position does include a small stipend.

Since starting the program, the fellows have provided our writing staff with remarkable insight into the world of surgery that can only come from those who have actually lived it. Each fellow has proven to be invaluable to our staff.

The position is open to any doctor who has completed at least two years of a surgical residency, is interested in storytelling, and is able to reside in Los Angeles for the duration of the program. A full description of the position, its requirements, and the application are included in this post.

Anyone interested in the program or any questions may be directed to me at ([email protected]).

Thank you so much for your time,

Barbara Friend
Director of Medical Research
Grey's Anatomy
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Medical Communications Fellowship Description.docx
    21.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Medical Communications Fellowship Application.docx
    26.6 KB · Views: 101
Well damn, this would have been awesome. (To Ms Friend, I'm leaving LA in a month).

Good luck finding a candidate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a cool opportunity but I can't really leave my practice and move to LA for a "small stipend".

Maybe @surg would be interested. Besides I'm loyal to Scrubs.

Probably bc Dr. Cox was named after you. (lol, j.k.) Yes, I loved Scrubs too - but I tend to like comedies more than soap opera dramas.

Maybe @southernIM?

Well I am LA based... I guess it depends if this was something that I could do and still do my regular job.
Could be fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe being "invaluable to (their) staff" means the consultant tells them a logical, factual way to approach a story line, the writers say, "OK", then ball it all up and throw it right in the toilet just like that.

Maybe that's why this gazillion dollar show only gives a "small stipend" to any kind of realism.

Reactions: 1 users
FYI: This has been verified as the "real deal" by SDN. Unfortunately it looks like it would require several hours per week during regular business hours, so not an option for most, exception might be those working in the lab during residency.

There are apparently Dr. Oz "fellowships" too - they use med students though and not residents. I just find the whole notion funny - call it a "fellowship" so that we can justify paying someone a measly stipend

Yup, they have like 3 year long and also some summer students as well. One of my classmates did it. It seemed pretty cool even though I don't agree 100% with the content.

FYI: This has been verified as the "real deal" by SDN. Unfortunately it looks like it would require several hours per week during regular business hours, so not an option for most, exception might be those working in the lab during residency.

Did they pay for that advertising article that was on the SDN header earlier this week?

as long as I can have a picture signed by the whole cast.

Since starting the program, the fellows have provided our writing staff with remarkable insight into the world of surgery that can only come from those who have actually lived it. Each fellow has proven to be invaluable to our staff.
your fellows are doing a terrible job, then

Reactions: 1 user