Group ideas for mentally ill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm working in a low-demand, residential setting with individuals suffering from severe mental illness (ranging from major depression/psychotic features to personality disorders to schizophrenia) who are also chronically homeless. I need some help with general group therapy ideas. My supervisor suggested an ADL's group but don't know how to make it fun and keep them coming. Any suggestions? Was also thinking some sort of expressions group- maybe incorporating music. They have done an art therapy group and creative writing groups in the past.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have some general guidelines: I would spend a lot of time on how their homelessness experience and their clinical disorders have influenced their sense of self and plans for the future. The group can be a great place to process some of the shame, isolation, anger towards others or self, hopelessness, etc. that a lot of them may be feeling in regards to their previous experiences. It would also be a good learning opportunity for you. Also, process some of the transference they have towards you (you don't understand, general anger, you don't care, etc.) that may arise. I think that making it personally relevant and meaningful is more important than fun and exciting, although those are important too.

Role play is excellent in groups like this. Have them practice those ADLs on each other. Especially if some of them ham it up - maybe with some funny scenarios. Or, if they are not in a very inter-active mood, have them draw the things they are good at, the things they want to be better at, things they want to do someday, etc.