Groupon eye exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usa2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to get some opinion on what you think about eye exam for free in groupon. I see more and more of this these days. Wouldnt that degrade the profession ?

Members don't see this ad.

I too believe it degrades the profession. I highly frown when I see LASIK and other cosmetic surgeries do groupons as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I think even worse than degrading the profession is that groupons won't work for this kind of thing and you'll just lose money.

Groupon only works, (if it works) for businesses where you go back frequently. Restaurants, hair salons, etc. etc. Eye exams occur relatively infrequently.

As a patient - there are some things that you don't want to go cheap on. Your eye care is one of them.

As a practitioner - this doesn't make terribly great business sense. Some people (especially in the LASIK world) try to bump up their revenue by dropping their margins with gimmicks like coupons hoping to do more bulk volume. This leads to higher overhead costs (for example, you have to hire more staff to process these extra patients). If there is ever a downturn in the market, you lose that volume. Now with this unusually excessive overhead and very poor margins, the system just busts.