GS Fellowship back ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just 2 quick questions--

1) For people applying to the competitive fellowships out of GS (read: peds and surg onc), what do people do if they don't get in?

2) Does anyone have an idea as to what the salary is for Pediatric Surgeons?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just 2 quick questions--

1) For people applying to the competitive fellowships out of GS (read: peds and surg onc), what do people do if they don't get in?
There are a multitude of possibilities. Some people say "screw it" and go get a job and earn some scratch. Others will go back into the lab or do clinical research for a year and re-apply. Others will just re-apply. Still others will do a pediatric surgical critical care fellowship with the hope of (1) boosting their application and (2) perhaps getting selected out of that fellowship and into the same program's pedi surg fellowship.

2) Does anyone have an idea as to what the salary is for Pediatric Surgeons?
We rotate with a private group in a large city (top 20 population in the metro area) and I am told these guys make about $600,000 a year. I have no idea if this is actually true or if this is reflective of most private practice pedi surgeons. Keep in mind many jobs are in affiliation with academic medical centers and your salary will be accordingly lower.
Also: Look at this

Thanks

See above

Just saw the results of the APSA (peds surgery) survey of its members, and the median salary was in the $400-500K range, with a standard deviation of around $100K.

Just saw the results of the APSA (peds surgery) survey of its members, and the median salary was in the $400-500K range, with a standard deviation of around $100K.

I wouldnt worry about salary too much. 500k + is certainly possible for peds surgery as a mid level or senior guy.. Esp in the community/private world... Maybe even more. They deserve even more to put up with crazy parents!

I would imagine that private practice community surgeons arent doing too many kasai, suave, etc.

However, the academic peds surgeons often start as instructor level.. $140k if they are lucky asst professor.. 200k. A small price to pay to get to do cool cases. Isnt that why you sacrifice so much to become a peds surgeon?