GS Sub-I VS research rotation w/ a pub

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stronghold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am MS3 student preparing for my 4th year. Which is better; GS Sub-I w/ a LOR or research rotation w/ a pub? someone may asks: "are you sure that will have a publication with just one month work?" Yes, I am sure about that when working on a review article or a retrospective study. Is a published work weighted higher than Sub-I w/ a LOR?

-I did not post in Allopathic forums since only matched people/ residents/ fellows/ PD who could answer my question.

Members don't see this ad.

You should have 3 LOR from surgeons, and at least one 4th year rotation in surgery. If you already have all those then you should do research instead of another subinternship rotation. Emphasis on 3 and surgeons.

Last edited:
You should have 3 LOR from surgeons, and at least one 4th year rotation in surgery. If you already have all those then you should do research instead of another subinternship rotation. Emphasis on 3 and surgeons.

@ filter07: thanks for reply. Does the LOR need to be from a surgeon in surgery rotation? Since the research rotation would be with a surgeon so I expect a LOR and a pub from research choice.

It doesn't need to be from a clinical rotation, as long as your other ones are.

I am MS3 student preparing for my 4th year. Which is better; GS Sub-I w/ a LOR or research rotation w/ a pub? someone may asks: "are you sure that will have a publication with just one month work?" Yes, I am sure about that when working on a review article or a retrospective study. Is a published work weighted higher than Sub-I w/ a LOR?

-I did not post in Allopathic forums since only matched people/ residents/ fellows/ PD who could answer my question.

Doesn't matter. "Matched people/residents/fellows/PDs" can answer your question in the Medical Student forums. There are plenty of us (well, I guess not...since I'm not a matched person/resident/fellow/PD) who check those forums and answer questions there.

This past year, I did both a research rotation (with publication) as well as SubIs in neurosurgery. I think the SubIs and the LORs I got out of them served me better. Especially because it takes time for the publication process and I didnt end up getting the finished article until well into the interview season. That said, the research rotation - which was at an away institution - gave me a real boost when applying there. After my interview, the program director called me himself and asked me what it would take to get me there, so I guess I made a good impression. However, the strong LORs from the SubI were mentioned everywhere I interviewed.

I don't understand why you can't do both.

Do the research and publication, it will serve you better in the long run.