GTA letter? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it bad to get an LOR from a Graduate Teaching assistant (PhD students)? I plan to get 2 science LORs, one non-science, a research PI letter and possibly a volunteer letter. However, in case I need another science letter (or if something happens to my planned LORs), I can only get one from a Biostats/PSYC GTA….how will this look?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it bad to get an LOR from a Graduate Teaching assistant (PhD students)? I plan to get 2 science LORs, one non-science, a research PI letter and possibly a volunteer letter. However, in case I need another science letter (or if something happens to my planned LORs), I can only get one from a Biostats/PSYC GTA….how will this look?
Can you get it co-signed by the professor? I would not count on a TF/TA letter being assessed seriously as a science letter.

n=1. I got a letter from my theater instructor(who was a PhD student; no professor for that class) to have a humanities letter. He sent me a copy after he submitted it and it was a solid, detailed letter. I am unaware if it hurt or helped me. I am personally inclined to think that a great letter from a graduate instructor is better than vague or weak letter from a professor. You can always try to have a professor co-sign the letter if that is an option.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have 5 letters already. Don't you only need 3? How many letters will they realistically read?

You have 5 letters already. Don't you only need 3? How many letters will they realistically read?

This is a back-up letter…I'm behind on LORs and am using this semester to really get to know my professors. However, if something goes wrong, I don't have a back-up other than a GTA letter :(

A TA letter means very little at my school. We expect a Ph.D. or MD/DO after the person's name.

I saw gta and thought grand theft auto. Clicked on thread to see wtf a grand theft auto letter has to do with md apps.

Reactions: 5 users
I saw gta and thought grand theft auto. Clicked on thread to see wtf a grand theft auto letter has to do with md apps.

Word of warning to you @040111333 and others. Using abbreviations like this will get you into trouble for this exact reason. One of our interns got absolutely torn to shreds this morning by the chairman of the department for his presentation during conference. One of the issues was using non-standard or non-defined abbreviations. Yes, this is an internet forum. Yes, things are less formal than other mediums, but in my experience, people that make mistakes like this on forums tend to be those most likely to continue to do them inadvertently later on and will get reamed by faculty down the road, or even worse, not reamed and simply silently judged.

Reactions: 1 users
Word of warning to you @040111333 and others. Using abbreviations like this will get you into trouble for this exact reason. One of our interns got absolutely torn to shreds this morning by the chairman of the department for his presentation during conference. One of the issues was using non-standard or non-defined abbreviations. Yes, this is an internet forum. Yes, things are less formal than other mediums, but in my experience, people that make mistakes like this on forums tend to be those most likely to continue to do them inadvertently later on and will get reamed by faculty down the road, or even worse, not reamed and simply silently judged.

I'm sorry…I had no idea that using the GTA abbreviation for Graduate Teaching Assistant could be hazardous. I didn't think about Grand Theft Auto at all when I wrote this. Unfortunately, I can't seem to change the title now, but if Mods could please delete or change the thread, please do so!!!

It isn't a big deal here. :p I was just pointing it out because a couple hours ago we had to endure a very uncomfortable and awkward 15 minutes because of poorly defined abbreviations and never want to have to do that again!

My point was just that you should be aware of it going forward and didn't mean to detract from your thread!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see the issue -- the acronym was defined within the initial post which is all I could have expected. What is the "standard" abbreviation anyways? TF? TA? GSI? GSA? GTA? EA? GTA is actually one of the more relatively common acronyms, so it is both standard and defined in this case.

I don't see the issue -- the acronym was defined within the initial post which is all I could have expected. What is the "standard" abbreviation anyways? TF? TA? GSI? GSA? GTA? EA? GTA is actually one of the more relatively common acronyms, so it is both standard and defined in this case.

The issue is that you can't see the initial post from the main forum, which is how virtually all users browse the forum. To figure out what "GTA" means you have to click on the thread. Again, not really a big deal, this is an internet forum... It is all about presentation, the clearer you are to your audience, the better results you will have across the board.

At least 5 people clicked on this thread thinking, "Grand theft auto" based on ride's post. I've never heard the term "Graduate Teaching Assistant". Quick survey of the two residents and the one faculty in the room with me and none of them have either. They all know the term, "TA". There is no "standard". The point is that if you want to maximize communication you should avoid non commonly used abbreviations and and certainly shouldn't abbreviate things before you define them.

But, again, this is an internet forum and this is tangential to the question at hand.

Reactions: 1 users
The issue is that you can't see the initial post from the main forum, which is how virtually all users browse the forum. To figure out what "GTA" means you have to click on the thread. Again, not really a big deal, this is an internet forum... It is all about presentation, the clearer you are to your audience, the better results you will have across the board.

At least 5 people clicked on this thread thinking, "Grand theft auto" based on ride's post. I've never heard the term "Graduate Teaching Assistant". Quick survey of the two residents and the one faculty in the room with me and none of them have either. They all know the term, "TA". There is no "standard". The point is that if you want to maximize communication you should avoid non commonly used abbreviations and and certainly shouldn't abbreviate things before you define them.

But, again, this is an internet forum and this is tangential to the question at hand.
Thanks for the clarification. :)