Guaged ears at interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dirtybird

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be submitting my apps in the next month, so prolly won't even see an interview invite for a while.
In any case, was wondering if it would be considered inappropriate to have gauged ears, and to have my plugs in my ears during interviews? Simple black plugs, only size 02 (~width of a pencil), no crazy shape or see-through hole.

Might seem like a silly question, just wanted to know since they are special to me but if its not cool I'd prolly need to take these out soon for my ear holes to shrink back to normal in time, better that than having a gaping hole haha

edit: An advisor told me that it'd be OK at some schools and I thought it might be too good to be true. Thanks for the advice everyone, the holes have been shrinking surprisingly quick

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were you I would definitely take them out for interviews. Medicine is a pretty conservative profession, and depending on your interviewers this could potentially hurt you.

Reactions: 4 users
You should have probably started shrinking a few months ago.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Flesh colored plugs, maybe. I don't think you'll be able to shrink them in a timely manner.

Hider-Plug-Flesh-Tunnel-Retainer_b2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
You could take them out now. They will probably be do most of their shrinking in the first week or two, really, but should be barely noticeable soon after.

My girlfriend was worried about the same thing when interviewing (not for med school). She always wore a set of wooden roses that make it really difficult to tell. I think they come in ivory as well. Alternatively you could do nude/hider plugs like the person above mentioned or I've also seen people pierce the hider plug to wear regular (16g) earrings. If you're using hider plugs I'd recommend using foundation to help blend it a bit better.

EDIT: She has 2 gauges in each ear: a size 0 and 4 (like this). Rose in the 0 and it's still really hard to tell.

Last edited:
I don't know about anyone else but I always question the decision making capacity of people who have them

Reactions: 27 users
OP I see you are male. Maybe I am thinking very conservative and old school, but I am not sure you can get away with the wooden/ivory roses that nOchemallday suggested. Some people are less comfortable with males wearing earrings. I interviewed with a septuagenarian at one school and an octogenarian at another. I can guarantee that the 87 year old grandpa doc would have had trouble with a guy with earrings. If you can't shrink them down, perhaps the flesh colored plugs would work, especially if you could get them in a matte instead of shiny plastic.

It is my fervent hope that someday when we are all through school and residency and possible fellowship that we can finally dress/style ourselves as we wish. Of course, by the time we are secure in our career or hospitals change their no tattoos policies, we might no longer want them.

My general guideline: if you have to ask if it's ok, it probably isn't.

Reactions: 3 users
Just take them out. You will have to take them out if you get in, so may as well assume you are going to get in and be ahead of the game.

OP I see you are male. Maybe I am thinking very conservative and old school, but I am not sure you can get away with the wooden/ivory roses that nOchemallday suggested. Some people are less comfortable with males wearing earrings. I interviewed with a septuagenarian at one school and an octogenarian at another. I can guarantee that the 87 year old grandpa doc would have had trouble with a guy with earrings. If you can't shrink them down, perhaps the flesh colored plugs would work, especially if you could get them in a matte instead of shiny plastic.

It is my fervent hope that someday when we are all through school and residency and possible fellowship that we can finally dress/style ourselves as we wish. Of course, by the time we are secure in our career or hospitals change their no tattoos policies, we might no longer want them.
Didn't do much digging on that. :oops: Still recommend foundation with hider plugs.

I don't even like it when men have regular ear piercings.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I despise these, sorry, so do whatever you can NOT to have attention drawn to them.

I'll be submitting my apps in the next month, so prolly won't even see an interview invite for a while.
In any case, was wondering if it would be considered inappropriate to have gauged ears, and to have my plugs in my ears during interviews? Simple black plugs, only size 02 (~width of a pencil), no crazy shape or see-through hole.

Might seem like a silly question, just wanted to know since they are special to me but if its not cool I'd prolly need to take these out soon for my ear holes to shrink back to normal in time, better that than having a gaping hole haha

Reactions: 13 users
We had a few guys with gauges interview this year.
They removed them for the interview and though their ears looked kind of droopy, it did show that they knew what was expected of them.

Some folks left their lip and eyebrow rings in (with a somewhat less successful overall effect).

Reactions: 14 users
Get some plastic surgery to look normal

Reactions: 1 users
I would auto reject anyone with those stupid things

Reactions: 10 users

Will you be working the front counter at Hot Topic? Then sure.

Some folks left their lip and eyebrow rings in (with a somewhat less successful overall effect).

:whoa: Is common sense really that uncommon?

I don't know about anyone else but I always question the decision making capacity of people who have them

Seriously. And they're a huge turn-off. In fact, I once knew this girl who was really gorgeous, but her ear gauges made her painful to look at.

Last edited:
wow, this thread is full of pretty harsh judgments. I don't think the OP was asking if it is a turn off. Or if you personally find them aesthetically pleasing. Or what one's decision to do with their own body says about their judgment. I am assuming most of the sentiments shared were made to be a bit humorous, but I wasn't expecting this thread to read like the comments section on a news site.

As someone who has a face full of piercings, I would suggest you take them out for the interview. In my experience, I have found that if you are articulate, confident, and interpersonally effective, your appearance is less important. I say that as someone with a rather unconventional appearance and who has also had success in clinical work, politics, research, academic presentations, teaching etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
wow, this thread is full of pretty harsh judgments. I don't think the OP was asking if it is a turn off. Or if you personally find them aesthetically pleasing. Or what one's decision to do with their own body says about their judgment. I am assuming most of the sentiments shared were made to be a bit humorous, but I wasn't expecting this thread to read like the comments section on a news site.

As someone who has a face full of piercings, I would suggest you take them out for the interview. In my experience, I have found that if you are articulate, confident, and interpersonally effective, your appearance is less important. I say that as someone with a rather unconventional appearance and who has also had success in clinical work, politics, research, academic presentations, teaching etc.

You're applying to professional school. Regardless of whether you agree or not, you are interfacing with a certain segment of society that will generally not take too well to someone that shows up for an interview looking like they belong at the club. Good or bad, that's just the way it is. If you have a problem with this and are unwilling to adjust your behaviors accordingly, then perhaps it isn't the best path to take.

At most, there were a couple of women in my class that had very small nose studs, and I would consider that relatively "edgy" for the medical field. I never saw anyone with gauges or other unusual piercings at any point while applying to medical school, interacting with others in the hospital or in other clinic settings, or on residency interviews.

Reactions: 7 users
I think my post makes it clear that I have no problem with dressing to look the part; in fact that's the advice i gave. What I find ironic is a bunch of people saying how it shows bad judgement, right before they say whether or not they find it "hot", or relying on stereotypes of who decides to have piercings, or whether it warrants plastic surgery to look "normal". I'd hate to see that sort of judgement enter the office when a client walks in who looks different than you. But always, rely on the "is this person bangable" tripe; because everyone's personal appearance ought to be predicated upon whether random joe on the street wants to bang you.

Reactions: 7 users
And yes, i agree with your sentiments. As I imagine all those on this board do, including those of us who have "edgy" piercings that make us more fitting for a "club".

I have a relatively small (8G) plug that I wear day-to-day in one ear. When I have interviews, I take it out. When I'm in clinic seeing patients, I take it out. People can judge me all they want for a visible hole, but you won't catch me wearing it in a professional setting.

I took out my industrial when I started working on clinical trials because I see patients. It made me sad, but having a professional appearance was more important. I also have a wrist tattoo that I cover with a bracelet or watch.

My only concern is that i'm so white that the flesh toned gauges just look pink on me :-/ Normally i just take mine out a day or two before (3/4") and they shrink enough to not be too distracting.

Do your best to err on the side of caution. If you have to ask, always go with something more conservative. I have a classmate who has snakebite piercings on his lower lips.

Snake-Bites-Piercing.jpg

He took them out for his interview and whenever he's in a professional setting. Otherwise, he always wears them. As an aside, medicine is slowly becoming more tolerant of people with "alternative" fashion. More tattoos, more non-traditional piercings, a variety of different hairstyles. But it's easier to rock those when you're in a position of power rather than in a subordinate position (e.g. as an interviewee).

Take them out now, it'll shrink and you'll be fine.

I did take out my eyebrow piercing for interviews and on school premises...like several mentioned, stuff like this is not something you want to show to a conservative public.

I have a tattoo the peeks over the collar of my shirt and some small tattoos on my knuckles and I'm in the process of getting them lasered off. It would be stupid to have such a minor thing negate all the hard work you've put in. Start shinking asap.

I don't even like it when men have regular ear piercings.

I despise these...

I would auto reject anyone with those stupid things

Seriously. And they're a huge turn-off. In fact, I once knew this girl who was really gorgeous, but her ear gauges made her painful to look at.

HAHA.
Thanks guys :)

I had a classmate who used to absent-mindedly pass his pencil through his ear-holes during tests. That **** was distracting. He went on to be an anesthesiologist. He also owned an amazing Tigger costume.

Close them up. Its not tricky.

I'm not familiar with accessories or make up myself but of you don't have time to let your holes seal up then try getting some modeling putty and learn how to make your skin tone look natural with make up. Plug your ear holes up as best you can and maybe ask a young, fashionable friend for advice.

I am not averse towards body modifications. However, I too strongly recommend that you remove these asap and do whatever cover up is necessary to make the...ear holes...unnoticeable. Interview day is just hour after hour of being judged on everything. It's in your best interest to not give people who don't like body mods any fodder to put you in the reject pile.

You're applying to professional school. Regardless of whether you agree or not, you are interfacing with a certain segment of society that will generally not take too well to someone that shows up for an interview looking like they belong at the club. Good or bad, that's just the way it is. If you have a problem with this and are unwilling to adjust your behaviors accordingly, then perhaps it isn't the best path to take.

At most, there were a couple of women in my class that had very small nose studs, and I would consider that relatively "edgy" for the medical field. I never saw anyone with gauges or other unusual piercings at any point while applying to medical school, interacting with others in the hospital or in other clinic settings, or on residency interviews.

Gauges are not at all uncommon among Canadian med students. Could just speak to a difference in culture though, it wouldn't surprise me if American schools are more conservative. I'll be taking my 8s (one on left lobe, two on right) out for any American interviews. I'll likely leave them in for Canadian interviews at schools that consider themselves progressive. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if a school like McMaster would look favourably on that kind of thing.

Last edited:
How does the admission committee view small (3-mm) diamond-stud earrings? I have 2 on my left and one on my right.

How does the admission committee view small (3-mm) diamond-stud earrings? I have 2 on my left and one on my right.
Why not just take the 2nd one out of your left ear and save yourself from second guessing? Or take them all out and just put a simple single gold or pearl stud in each ear? It's just for the interview day you know, not a permanent change.

I have a small ring in the cartilage of my ear that I got 15 years ago. Most of the time I completely forget it's there. Should I take that out?

I have a small ring in the cartilage of my ear that I got 15 years ago. Most of the time I completely forget it's there. Should I take that out?
I am taking out my cartilage earring.

Why not just take the 2nd one out of your left ear and save yourself from second guessing? Or take them all out and just put a simple single gold or pearl stud in each ear? It's just for the interview day you know, not a permanent change.

BTW im a guy

BTW im a guy
Since you're a guy, I'd recommend taking out all earring. Generally not perceived well by older, more conservative individuals. Always err on the side of caution--don't offend the most easily offended person you can imagine.

Since you're a guy, I'd recommend taking out all earring. Generally not perceived well by older, more conservative individuals. Always err on the side of caution--don't offend the most easily offended person you can imagine.

Well, my next question is my hairstyle...... *grabs a chair*