Guaranteed Admission into Medical School

brianbz78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Brian and I'm currently in 9th grade and this summer I will be taking Dual Enrollment classes at Broward College in South Florida. I was wondering if any Early Admissions/Early Acceptance/Guaranteed Professional Program Acceptance(GPPA) Medical Schools would accept these college credits or if I would have to retake all these classes if I matriculate into their program. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any updated links with every Medical School that offers a guaranteed matriculation into their program from high school?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to contact your schools of interest and ask them if they will accept the credits. Brown is the only school that I know of that "pre-accepts" undergrad students with the purpose of feeding them directly into their medical school after UG graduation. It is freakishly competitive. A friend's daughter is in this program, and it wasn't because of her stats, but rather her area of interest and her commitment to that interest. They aren't looking for 4.0 students, they are looking for intellectuals.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are actually several programs throughout the the country that have conditional acceptances into a BS/MD program straight from high school (my state university/med school is one of them). It is of course, highly conditional upon your performance throughout your program, so that should you not meet the requirements your acceptance will be withdrawn. These programs tend to take 7 years, rather than the traditional 8 for one matriculating directly from undergrad to med school. These programs are also extremely selective. As OblaDi stated, they aren't just looking for 4.0 students, but well rounded applicants who they believe with much less information available, will make great doctors.

As far as the root of your question, will colleges make you re-take those courses, it is up to each and every college you apply to whether or not you will have to retake. However, should you be accepted into a GPPA program I'm not sure it makes a significant difference since they will likely map out much of your curriculum and you'll only be spending 3 years in your undergrad. If you are not in one of those GPPA programs and matriculate into med school the traditional way, again, your answer is that it all depends on the school. Every school sets their own criteria on what courses and from where, they will accept.

I don't see why these credits would be looked at any differently than any other college courses. I took 3 classes in high school through the community college and received the credits. Since then I have enrolled in at least three universities and the classes were accepted and transferred into all of my programs.

Some schools accept pre-reqs taken at a community college (CC), and some don’t. Check the MSAR for further details.

Many AdCom members will take a dim view of classes taken at a CC while you are concurrently enrolled in a university (e.g. summer classes at CC). It looks like you’re trying to avoid the weed-out courses at your school and so, compared with a classmate who took all their classes at the university, an applicant who took summer classes at a CC looks weaker despite an identical GPA.

Students who attend CC before attending a university, and those who do post-bac classes at a CC are not in as big a bind. If you do at least as well at the university as you did in CC and you do well on the MCAT ,you should be fine.

I don't see why these credits would be looked at any differently than any other college courses. I took 3 classes in high school through the community college and received the credits. Since then I have enrolled in at least three universities and the classes were accepted and transferred into all of my programs.