Guidance - GPA 3.0 MCAT 29

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalWhiz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to go to medical school (as soon as possible) MD or DO.

I'm a junior right now with a 3.0, and will have 90 credits done by the end of this Fall semester. Then my GPA will be 3.15.

I did bad in Orgo and Physics II - but will be taking Endocrinology and Physiology this semester and will get A's.

I have taken all the med school pre-reqs, and MCAT's with a score of 29

I will have two solid LoR from science professors by the end of this semester (December) and a solid LoR from a Pathologist that I will have shadowed multiple times. I have some shadowing experience already though

I will start volunteering this Fall at a hospital, but do not have medical volunteering experience yet. I do have a lot of volunteering experience through a Junior Youth empowerment program though.

I want to apply for DO school and MD school, but would like to get in as soon as possible.

Could I apply for DO or MD this year, after finishing the Fall semester? What do you all suggest I do? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances at MD schools are zero. Your GPA needs to be >3.5, and your MCAT is three point below avg, which is borderline for acceptance.

For DO schools, your MCAT is fine, and the GPA is low end of acceptable. You wouldn't get an interview at my school, but I think you'd score some invites, somewhere.

Apply by the end of the year is probably too late in the cycle for DO programs (end of August is too late for MDs!) I recommend that you finish the SR year and apply ASAP starting 6/14. That way, you'll improved your GPA, and gained more of the crucial patient contact experience. Suggest re-taking any F/D/C science course work too.

I would like to go to medical school (as soon as possible) MD or DO.

I'm a junior right now with a 3.0, and will have 90 credits done by the end of this Fall semester. Then my GPA will be 3.15.

I did bad in Orgo and Physics II - but will be taking Endocrinology and Physiology this semester and will get A's.

I have taken all the med school pre-reqs, and MCAT's with a score of 29

I will have two solid LoR from science professors by the end of this semester (December) and a solid LoR from a Pathologist that I will have shadowed multiple times. I have some shadowing experience already though

I will start volunteering this Fall at a hospital, but do not have medical volunteering experience yet. I do have a lot of volunteering experience through a Junior Youth empowerment program though.

I want to apply for DO school and MD school, but would like to get in as soon as possible.

Could I apply for DO or MD this year, after finishing the Fall semester? What do you all suggest I do? Thanks!