Guidance on getting accepted to optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melvin220

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community I know everyone hates when people ask this question but the reason why I am asking this is because I'm freaking and thinking if optometry school is possible or should I look at another career. Brief background been an ophthalmic/optometric tech for at least 6 years. My undergraduate GPA is 2.8. My OAT score is 240 and I'm working on trying to improve my score. I still have 3 more pre-requisite courses to still take. Skipping to my main point what is the likelihood of me getting accepted into a college for Fall 2016. Also can anyone offer any guidance for getting accepted or what steps I should take.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, does race get accounted? Does affirmative action apply to optometry schools?

Also I wish I could find a mentor to help me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I wish I could find a mentor to help me out.
You got the experience but also make sure to shadow at different settings so you know what's out there. In terms of GPA its a bit on the lower end so try to pick up your grades. I had a similar GPA so I had to make up for those with my OAT score. You're gonna have to try to score at least a 320. The higher the better position you'll be in.

Thanks ac12345 you seem to always give me good feedback when I post on here.

^ what ac said.

Experience is a super big helper but try and get your grades up. Probably my only saving grace to get to the interview part was my 320 oat with some real high marks in sections and good letters of rec.

Try your very best to get grades up and increase that OAT score!! As far as the mentor does the optoemtrist you work with seem approachable? I also have gone to some admissions days at local schools and some students ended up giving me emails and phone numbers!!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, work hard on the OAT score. My GPA was about the same, I had 14 years experience in an optometrist's office, but had a good OAT score. I received interview requests (and later acceptances) at two of the three schools I applied to. I will tell you don't waste your money on applying to Ohio State, they will not even consider you if your GPA is less than 3.0, no matter what the circumstance.
But you do have a chance, it will take some work. Get your OAT scores up, and also try to apply as early as possible, that gives you the best odds. Good luck.

^Apply as early as possible. Get your personal statement, lor, academic transcripts ready before the application opens. that way you will just have to enter everything when it does and press submit.

At tkuhug their approachable but don't remember their whole process or OATs. Capsnduck what schools did you apply to?