Guidance on Retakes/What are my chances? Applying DO June 1st 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDK22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of retaking many of my pre requisite classes at local cc that I did very poorly in during undergrad (Physics 1,2,3 - C's all across planning to convert these all to A's/A-'s, Chemistry 1,2,3 - C, C+, C+ have converted first two to B+'s respectively, Organic 1, 2, 3 C-, C, C planning on converting the first two to A's over next two quarters, and a Microbiology class where I got a C+ which I'm hoping to convert to an A next quarter). I'm also taking a Anatomy & Physiology sequence which I'm so far planning to get A's in all throughout and a few online kinesiology courses to help boost science GPA.

Here's a little bit more of where I'm at:
By the end of my retakes I'm hoping to get to a cGPA of 3.45ish and a sGPA of 3.4ish.
My best MCAT is a 26 (P10 V8 B8).
My ECs in college include: Volunteer EMT-B for 3 years (over 1,000 hours of service during undergrad) where I held the position of President for one year, involved in cultural clubs, and a staff member on college newspaper for 4 years.
Post-grad: Currently working as a research coordinator at a major academic hospital and also as a speech coach for high school kids. Will have about one year and two years of this, respectively by the time I apply.
Shadowing: I have 40 hours of shadowing a DO and time being around MDs/nurses through my job.
LOR: Planning on having 6 letters from 1 DO, 2 MD from the academic hospital I work at, 2 public health professors, EMT medical director. All of these people know me well so would hope they turn out strong.

I'm wondering whether these retakes are sufficient for DO schools. and will the initial poor record be over looked if I replace with B+'s/A-'s/A's? Also curious how much my ECs and other parts of my application will help with my chances. I'm planning on submitting at the very beginning of next cycle. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in the process of retaking many of my pre requisite classes at local cc that I did very poorly in during undergrad (Physics 1,2,3 - C's all across planning to convert these all to A's/A-'s, Chemistry 1,2,3 - C, C+, C+ have converted first two to B+'s respectively, Organic 1, 2, 3 C-, C, C planning on converting the first two to A's over next two quarters, and a Microbiology class where I got a C+ which I'm hoping to convert to an A next quarter). I'm also taking a Anatomy & Physiology sequence which I'm so far planning to get A's in all throughout and a few online kinesiology courses to help boost science GPA.

By the end of my retakes I'm hoping to get to a cGPA of 3.45ish and a sGPA of 3.4ish.
My ECs in college include: Volunteer EMT-B for 3 years (over 1,000 hours of service during undergrad) where I held the position of President for one year, involved in cultural clubs, and a staff member on college newspaper for 4 years.
Post-grad: Currently working as a research coordinator at a major academic hospital and also as a speech coach for high school kids. Will have about one year and two years of this, respectively by the time I apply.
Shadowing: I have 40 hours of shadowing a DO and time being around MDs/nurses through my job.
LOR: Planning on having 6 letters from 1 DO, 2 MD from the academic hospital I work at, 2 public health professors, EMT medical director. All of these people know me well so would hope they turn out strong.

I'm wondering whether these retakes are sufficient for DO schools. and will the initial poor record be over looked if I replace with B+'s/A-'s/A's? Also curious how much my ECs and other parts of my application will help with my chances. I'm planning on submitting at the very beginning of next cycle. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Retakes are huge and if you get your GPA to the 3.4 range you will be good. The 26 is fine also but be sure to apply broadly and early. ECs are also huge and play a big role in your application

Members don't see this ad :)
and a few online kinesiology courses to help boost science GPA.

Not science GPA.

I wish you the best of luck. I am not qualified to comment on your chances, but if you can accomplish what you've stated - I would bet you will be well off.

Last edited:
Not science GPA.

I wish you the best of luck. I am not qualified to comment on your chances, but if you can accomplish what you've stated - I would bet you will be well off.

Depends on the class. If it's something like "Exercise Physiology" under the Kinesiology department, then it for sure counts as science. =)

As far as I know, DO grade replacement really does replace your poor grades. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think DO programs even see the older grades. ECs are awesome. In terms of letters of rec, the DO one will probably help you out the most. The MD ones maybe not so much. I know for MD programs, the general guideline is to have 2 science professors and 1 non-science professor write you letters. Doublecheck on that for DO programs. Good luck OP!

Depends on the class. If it's something like "Exercise Physiology" under the Kinesiology department, then it for sure counts as science. =)

Never mind my opinion on it not being science. I was responding based on AMCAS not AACOMAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Great, thanks for all of your replies!