Guidance on Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Triny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have designed a schedule where I can finish in 2 more years, letting me finish on time (4 years of undergrad), or where I would finish in an extra year (5 years of undergraduate) with a more lenient schedule. I would like to know which is the better choice to follow through with.

Attached excel file is made up of two schedules I have created for myself. One being made up of two years where I would be taking a huge load of classes, or the other where it is split up into 3 years instead of 2. The initials GFA means history art class, GSB means intro anthropology, GLT means literature, diversity may be plant or zoology, & lvl 500 bio just means it is at the highest level class I'm required to take in biology. An example may be topics in biology, or advanced genetics. I also left a summer for shadowing in the extra year of summer which i figured would be the perfect time to do so, but I could somehow manage to work that in my 2 year schedule with enough planning.

Guidance, advise, and/or any kind of help would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Class Schedule.xlsx
    10.3 KB · Views: 41
I have a few questions. First of all, what is your major? Which classes are required vs. classes you are trying to take for dental school? If you can keep your grades up I recommend doing 4 years instead of 5 since you can save some money (you'll also have to start paying loans sooner if you aren't a full time student). Some schools will only let you take a certain amount of credits during the summer. I would also make sure that those summer courses are offered at your school. I suggest taking the Spanish course during your Spring 2013 if possible, and during the summer try to shadow dentists a few days here and there.

Last edited:
I appreciate some of the feedback. I'm trying to assume money isn't an issue. Also I'm majoring in a B.S. in biology with a minor in chemistry. The classes are all mandatory for the degree. The only ones I'm taking just so I'd stand a better chance in dental school are Anatomy, Microbiology, & Physiology. The Biochem is for a better chance in dental school, and so I can have a minor in chemistry. All of the other Biology classes, Spanish, and standard classes (GFA, GSB, Stats, Calc,GLT) are required for a B.S. in biology. My main concern is, that I'm going to go over my head, & not recieve high enough grades to be accepted in dental school. Since a lot of people here have taken these classes, they would have an idea of the workload vs. grades idea. I'm a good student though, all A's & B's, mostly A's. But then again, I've never had a workload like this.

Consider lightening your load by not taking Microbiology in Fall 2013. You will most likely be going on interviews and you do not want to have your grades drop because of it. You can take it in the Summer 2014 if it is requirement for the school you decide to go to, or if it isn't required then you don't need to take it. Just make sure you list that under "Planned/In Progress" when applying. If possible try to somehow lighten your load for Spring 2014, but I'm not sure how you would do that unless you can take Spanish Spring of your sophomore year. You could also consider dropping your minor if your courses become overwhelming.