Guide me in the right direction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Science_bro89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I just wanted some honest advice about my progress thus far and what I should be doing to make myself more competitive for medical school. I recently just graduated from a top tier southern research with masters in molecular biology and a final GPA of 4.04. There, I gained 3 semesters worth of research experience (is this enough?) in obesity induced metabolic diseases and pathways in brown adipose tissue. I also was blessed to travel abroad last summer to study biomedicine in Taiwan, which was really fun! Just wanted some advice as to what I should approve on next. Also, I'm a black american male if that helps any.

Stats:
Over 100 volunteering hours
About 50 hours and counting of internal medicine shadowing
Various honor society inductions and clubs
Lab experience as a lab analyst and research assistant
Teaching experience as a TA (Primary instructor) for introduction to biology lab for non-major.
Undergraduate GPA: cGPA 3.47 and sGPA: 3.5
Masters GPA: 4.04

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, guys. I just wanted some honest advice about my progress thus far and what I should be doing to make myself more competitive for medical school. I recently just graduated from a top tier southern research with masters in molecular biology and a final GPA of 4.04. There, I gained 3 semesters worth of research experience (is this enough?) in obesity induced metabolic diseases and pathways in brown adipose tissue. I also was blessed to travel abroad last summer to study biomedicine in Taiwan, which was really fun! Just wanted some advice as to what I should approve on next. Also, I'm a black american male if that helps any.

Stats:
Over 100 volunteering hours
About 50 hours and counting of internal medicine shadowing
Various honor society inductions and clubs
Lab experience as a lab analyst and research assistant
Teaching experience as a TA (Primary instructor) for introduction to biology lab for non-major.
Undergraduate GPA: cGPA 3.47 and sGPA: 3.5
Masters GPA: 4.04
Hey man,

I think you would be competitive depending on your MCAT. Just remember to apply early and broadly. There are some schools that will take a closer look at you so don't forget those schools (Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, your state schools)

Good luck bro and let me know if you have any other questions.

Antonio Webb, M.D.
Orthopedic Surgery Resident

Reactions: 1 user