Guide to a successful Freshman year as a Pre-Med?

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so students from Class of 2014 HS are going to be graduating here in a little bit.

Most of us are going to a CC or 4 year University, focused on becoming physicians, dentists, optometrists, and other types medical professionals.

Short and simple, I was wondering how we can make our first year successful as pre-meds.

Certain EC's we should get involved with right away? Any study/life skills you guys want to share? Basically wanting to know how successful pre-med students in the past have started off their undergraduate years.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a junior in undergrad, but I figured I would respond anyways and share some wisdom.
Enjoy your life. Don't put all your time and energy into school.
DO NOT TAKE ALL OF YOUR GENERAL EDUCATION CLASSES AT ONCE!!! You will be stuck taking a bunch of science courses at once, and that is never fun!
I volunteered at a nursing home starting my freshman year, I still do it and I still love it (5-8 hours/week).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DON'T BE A JERK. Realize what you want, and work your butt off for it. Keep your GPA up. Space out your classes and schedule ahead of time so you're screwed over in the long run. Do your EC's spaced out as well. You have 3-4 years to get stuff done, don't try to cram it all in at the same time or you will explode. Get to know professors for potential research opportunities. Treat your MCAT like it's your job.

Honestly, being a nice guy has gotten me so many opportunities on my campus, from jobs to LORs. I am on a smaller campus though, but still, people WILL remember you for your actions.

I'm on mobile, so I can't go into detail, but if you want me to elaborate on anything or have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm still in my freshmen year of college(1,1/2 month left), but this is what I would suggest so far:

Biggest factors in my opinion:
-Focus on school(of course), but the big thing is keeping a good schedule so work/assignments are always steadily moving along. Not only will you keep a good schedule, but you may have to change certain study habits or methods along the way.
-Do not overload yourself, whether it be too many rigorous courses(besides your sciences) your first semester or too many outside activities pulling your time. Keeping a good balance of both is very important.

Above posts couldn't have said it any better, but enjoy it!

-Get involved in groups of campus, clubs etc because this basically opens up networks with many people across campus and it is socially involved, so you can get away from schoolwork at times. Greek life is something to consider if you find a fraternity suitable and have the time available.
-Try not stress out. Sometimes you may hit a bump in the road(grade wise etc), but just stand back and remember that you are attending college, which is a great opportunity not all people receive(not to be redundant, but it is true).

Don't take any science courses your first semester. Go to parties, have fun FIRST. I made the mistake of doing gen bio and gen chem all in my first semester of college....NOT a good idea at all. Use ratemyprofessors to figure out what professors to take. I highly suggest not taking a professor that got horrible reviews even though you think you can do well. Made that mistake also.

Get involved on campus, join pre-health clubs, start volunteering at a local hospital, email professors asking to get involved in research your first semester!
Don't get too stressed out and don't be too competitive with your classmates, no one likes the person who brags about getting an A on their orgo test and then asks everyone else what they got. Befriend people who want to become physicians, dentists, etc. and study with them as you will be in a lot of the same classes. Work together, not against each other. Ugrad is a fun time, don't spend it all in the library or cooped up studying 24/7!

If you bomb a test, don't freak out! It will most likely happen at least once. As soon as you start to feel overwhelmed with your course load, visit professors office hours or attend SI/tutoring sessions. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Best advice from someone who is about to finish her application and entered college with the wrong mindset:

1) do whatever you have to do to find out who you are, what you truly want in life, and how you want to live in the future (after achieving all you ever wanted)... it will make you grow up and, most importantly, HAPPY (short-term and long-term)
2) do the minimum academically and extracurricularly unless what you're doing truly makes your day better (for example, take the minimum number of credits to keep your scholarship, and leaving a research project or job may open more doors)
3) realize that it's essentially "ACCEPTANCE = Entrance Exam Score + Interview" [doing well in school helps your exam score (and study habits), and reflecting on experiences (not accumulating hours) helps your essays (which leads to getting an interview) and your interview]

Notice I didn't mention anything about majors, GPA, getting involved, or being nice. Those topics are very vague and do not even pertain to why I'm a shoo-in as an applicant ;) (and how I know I won't have any regrets or burn out down the road).

Notice how the two capitalized words in my post are "HAPPY" and "ACCEPTANCE." Keep in mind that you have to maintain being happy and that you have the rest of your life to get that acceptance.

So I've just told you the secrets to being pre-health. It's up to you to absorb the wisdom or follow the sheep. Life is really that simple. If you have any more personal questions, PM me. There's so much to share that I don't know where to start except with the three points above.

Last edited:
Advice from an almost-fourth year vet student well out of college but hey, whatever :)

- Figure out how to study early on - just because you coasted in high school doesn't mean you'll be able to pull the same grades doing the same thing in college. If something isn't working, don't keep doing it! Try new methods - studying with a group, apps, find a tutor, etc. You might even need to change methods between classes - don't be afraid to switch it up. Many universities have a learning center that can help you with this.

- Don't wait to get help. Plenty of people in your classes will be struggling - don't be too proud to ask for help from peers, TAs or professors.

- Get involved in your community and NETWORK. Find things that you enjoy doing, not just things to check off for your applications. People with genuine enthusiasm for what they do will be obvious to adcoms. And don't do what everyone else does - find something unique that you're excited about. This will allow you to connect with people who can be mentors to you - they'll be good letter writers but they'll also give you good life advice.

- Don't make your life only about applying to a professional program. College is an awesome time to have fun, get to know people and do lots of cool stuff. Grades are important but you aren't a robot. Make friends and explore your world.

This
I can't stress enough how a good/bad professor can make or break your grade.

Use ratemyprofessors to figure out what professors to take. I highly suggest not taking a professor that got horrible reviews even though you think you can do well. Made that mistake also.

Wow, thanks to all of you, that stuff really helps!

I am going to be registering for classes soon and have been looking at reviews on RMP. Hope that will help me get the best profs!

More insight/college tips are welcome :)

Oh yea, don't be afraid to drop classes (it's understandable your first year). A drop looks better than a potential B in my opinion :p

During high school, I should have dropped dual enrollment classes I did not need which affected my GPA for the worse.
But I wouldn't change a thing because having B's on your official transcript humbles you, makes you evaluate your source of motivation, and challenges you to work smarter/harder in the future.

Last semester, I first registered for 17 cr but added a random 1-cr class (so I had 18 credits).
Later on, I decided to drop two classes, which dropped me to 12 cr (perfect).

Last edited:
Don't be an dingus.

Everything else falls into place after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok on a more serious note the only thing I have to add is getting into a non-science, non-premed, completely unrelated to medicine EC in college early and quickly. Too many people realize way too late that they're very cookie cutter and try to cook up some magic during their junior summer so they can have something cool to talk about on the interview trail. Too late by then; the seeds have to be sown early. My perspective is obviously skewed coming from a school where this is the norm and "regular" premeds are hard to come across, but the admissions results speak for themselves.

Beyond the obvious advantage this adds to any application, it really helps you keep your sanity while doing the premed grind. All of my ECs are basically unrelated to science/medicine, and it's awesome to get out of prereq classes to do something else you're really interested in.

Now, before you say you have no other interests besides medicine/science, then…be quiet and just push yourself to find something like what I described. You'll thank me.

A couple of nuggets of wisdom I have learned in UG, mostly the hard way:
1. Don't always trust advisers. I know that they have good intentions but sometimes they are just plain misinformed. I always found that the best advisers are your peers and older students.
2. Don't choose a major simply because you think you will be good at it; first of all because you might not enjoy it as much as you think you will, and secondly you may not be as good as it as you might think. I chose math because it had street appeal and I was very good at math in high school. Breezed through Calc2, Calc 3, Diff Eq, but then the first proof based class kicked me to the curb....passed by 1 point. I hated being a math major, I just heard early on (from a premed adviser) that math looks really good to medical schools. That's another thing I can't stress enough... ALL MAJORS ARE EQUAL! It is what you do with those majors that count... as long as you complete the prereqs and do well on the MCAT there is literally no difference between the majors. Do something you will have fun in. I actually switched majors halfway through my sophomore year to Neuropsych, and since then I haven't looked back.
3. On a follow-up note, make sure you take classes that will help with your MCAT. I don't know exactly how the 2015+ MCAT will work with its prereq requirements, but just know that there are concepts on the MCAT that can be supplemented with various classes like microbio (not generally a premed prereq, just a recommended class) genetics, etc.
4. Be social. I just spent 2.5 months isolated studying for my MCAT, and let me tell you, it was a nightmare. Time went by so slowly and I felt quite depressed.
5. Do EC's that you will love and learn from. There is no cookie-cutter way to get into medical school...everyone is different. Doing something unique to you that you love to do and having a passion for it goes a long way, in fact adcoms look for things like that, like me for example. I am in an acapella group and I have learned from it and loved it so much.
6. VOLUNTEER. And by volunteering I don't mean get the standard cookie-cutter hospital gig sending files places and running test tubes. Do volunteering that you really want to do, it can be medical or non-medical. I volunteer at an elementary school and have been there for the past 3 years, and I have gained a lot from it.
7. Don't worry about things like the MCAT and shadowing and research in your freshman year. Take this time to have fun...believe me your UG will quickly degenerate into a whole bunch of studying-related seriousness, and you should really enjoy your easy year in between high school and sophomore year.
8. With everything you do, be consistent. Adcoms love to see a 3 year project in which you have progressed and really grown as a person over multiple little week or weekend projects.
9. Use ratemyprofessor.com, but use it with caution. Supplement this usage with asking the older and current students if there is anything you can find out about this professor you will have.
10. Now let's talk about professors.... Like this has been repeated to death, I will now jump onto the podium: Bad professors can make or break you. If possible, avoid bad professors or professors that you think will be too hard for you in a certain class, there is no shame in it. Don't be afraid to sacrifice beauty sleep for the better professor/the higher grade. On that note, if the professor is unavoidable, don't sulk, because you could possibly get something great out of that class... for example, I have had several professors who make their tests way too hard or who are just way too tough, and after surviving their classes, I have found studying for the MCAT to be much easier since these professors taught/tested at levels that are much harder than MCAT assessment material.
11. With that note, be organized, and keep several notebooks/binders about various activities and such that you are doing to build up your resume. I only say this because the time will come where it is time to report this stuff to AAMCAS/AAMCOMAS and you can't remember that one summer activity you did back in 2015. Also, as a follow-up, keep in contact with professors who you think really enjoyed your company/you made a great impression on, because the letter of recommendation could go a long way, even with professors you have in your freshman year. I didn't start gathering LOR's until my sophomore year, and there was this one professor who really liked me and I was the top student, but by the time I remembered, too much time had passed. Be organized, keep notes and keep those type of things in mind and on paper so you can remember and feel relieved about it.
12. Now let's talk about grades. Guys, I understand that we were the 3.9 people in high school, but I am going to break this down right now, that most of you will not be these people in premed in UG, it is just the sad truth. The most important note to take away from that is to not get discouraged. Realize that a 3.5 is where the average MD applicant sits at and sometimes the lower GPAs will get in as well. On that note, I want to talk about comparison to your friends. In premed, everyone knows someone who will get a 98 on the test that everyone else gets a 67 on, and to be honest, the best thing you can do is be happy for that person... getting jealous or whining about it gets you nowhere. Don't compare yourself to your friends, whether they are doing better than you or worse, because if they are doing worse, and you skulk to them about your grades which are higher than theirs, how do you think it makes them feel? The best thing you can do is just try your best and try try try try to be humble, and that I can't stress enough in EVERY part of your application and as an applicant. Adcoms LOVE humility, and so do professors, friends, etc... just makes for an easier time all around.
13. Ok, now let's talk about weed out classes/prereqs. Guys, premed is by no stretch of the imagination a cake-walk, there are several really mean and nasty classes you have to trek through and it might get you down. Some professors will love to, and I'm not joking about this one, have an average close to FIFTY PERCENT for a test. Don't let this get you down! I repeat, don't let this get you down! These types of classes are mostly built on curves, so you learn to base your grade off of the average. In almost every single weed out class I have been in, the averages on tests have been in the very low sixties or high fifties. This is even true if you are that rare breed of person who does get that 3.9 in UG, there are still some classes that can knock you on your butt. Do everything you can to study for these classes, but please don't let it make you think you won't be a future doctor. I'll make you guys feel better. Back in my freshman year, I was taking Gen Chem 1 and I studied like hell for the first test, and I got a 52. The average was a 56. I felt very discouraged by this and felt a pit in my stomach every time I thought about Gen Chem 1. I dropped out of it, using a special policy they had to avoid a W on my record, which I'm very happy about. I used the extra time after I dropped to really build up my foundation...the next time I took Chem 1 I ended up with 80 92 80 89, for an A-in the class for which the averages were still in the high fifties. If you feel like you need to drop a class, don't think it is the end of the world. But you do need to take it seriously.
14. Following 13 up, I'd like to talk about the degree of seriousness you treat classes with. Ok, so these weed out classes I mentioned, you may think you have an advantage because you got a 5 on AP chem or a 7 on IB bio. WRONG! While this may be true for some, others develop too much confidence for these tests, and walk in, not be familiar with the particular format, and end up with a 50, I have seen this plenty of times in every single weed-out class I have taken. I can't stress this enough.. TAKE EVERY WEED OUT OR DIFFICULT CLASS WITH THE UTMOST SERIOUSNESS, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE ANY OF THESE TYPES OF CLASSES!!! I have and let me tell you, it came back to haunt me.
15. On that note, let's talk about AP/IB/CC credit. It is awesome in the UG world to not have to take the basic gen eds that everyone else takes that didn't get your credit. Well, let me be honest, sometimes it is worth it, and sometimes it isn't. For example, if you get AP credit for ENC 1101/1102, that's fine, more time to spend on premed stuff. But, be cautious with allocating your AP/IB/CC credits for your premed prereqs. First of all, some medical schools REQUIRE that you take the courses at the UG school you go to, and you might be taken aback to find that out your junior year in college. Secondly, if you are allowed to use these credits, I would still recommend caution. The reason I'm saying this is because, for example, you may have had the foundation for AP bio back in 9th grade, but let's say you get credit for Bio 1, and you take Bio 2 your freshman year fall semester, it has been 3+ years since you took bio1, and maybe you don't remember anymore! Don't use your AP/IB/CC credits, especially for premed, just simply for the sake of getting more credits.
16. Join a pre-med group. This one may seem like common sense, but let me say something about it first. The pre-med groups may not seem like a lot of fun, and in all honesty kind of suck sometimes, but even if you don't like the people in these types of organizations, you can still make great networking connections and learn about all sorts of opportunities, and even learn about premed stuff that you need to be doing to get into medical school.
17. Make study groups/have study friends. Again, seems like common sense, but you really should do this. Standing alone in a class doesn't make you more of a man/woman. Plus, I have found that study groups have covered my gaps about areas I may have been weak on.
18. Develop a study method that works for you. You may find that it isn't the same one you have had in high school, because you may find out that it may not work in UG. I personally used old tests and notecards, and a boatload of practice problems to solidify my test taking abilities.
19. On that note, let's talk about test methods. Guys, some classes may seem near impossible, but there are methods to learn about certain teacher's testing methods, one way is to get old tests from old friends, get advice from old friends, etc. You may think that the professors change their tests , and they do, but they sometimes like to use good questions that they developed back in the day, sometimes even verbatim to make their tests. As long as the way you are getting these old tests is legal and ethical, this is probably the best way I have used to study for my tests.
20. Don't let the pressure get to you and let you make stupid/bad decisions. Again, seems like I'm beating a dead horse with this common intuition crap, but hear me out, this is actually very serious. I'm mainly talking about taking shortcuts like taking online classes simply because "every test is open note." NO THEY ARENT. While some online classes allow for your notes and such (it will generally explicitly say it in the syllabus,) some others say right out what constitutes cheating. Guys, we are trying to be doctors, and doctors are supposed to be a moral beacon in the community, and it is very important to have a clean conscience. True story: I was doing some work for one of my classes and I skipped my psychology class that day. There was an extra credit question being asked in class on the clicker database. My friend asked me if I wanted the answer, I told him no because that's unethical, I didn't feel good about it, I never did stuff like that, I always knew that it was unethical. So, grades come out and I get an A- in psychology, missing an A by the EXACT number of points that extra credit question was, no lie. I was a little frustrated at first but then I was relieved to know I truly got the grade I deserved :)
21. On the note of taking short cuts, I want to address something just as serious as this. Drug abuse. Now I'm not talking about heroin, crack or meth, but rather Adderall, Rittalin, etc. I understand that some of you guys might have ADD/ADHD legitimately, but that does NOT give you the right to take a bunch of adderall to cram for an exam for like, 30 hours. I have actually seen this happen, and let me tell you, it worries me for a bulk of reasons. First off, that isn't fair to the kids who take the legitimate route and study for a week or 2 weeks before a test. Secondly, it is VERY DANGEROUS. Don't do it, please. It also, in my opinion, tells me that you might not be the best person to give a drug license to, honestly.
22. Keep in shape. Physical fitness and mental fitness are very important for maintaining a great feel during UG. Don't gain the freshman 15, do what I did and lose the freshman 55, and then bulk back up those 55 in muscle like I did if you so wish (you don't have to, I just like telling people I did that because it was hard as hell to do it and it was one hell of a 2 year journey.) Also, mental fitness is very important. People, don't feel like going to a therapist makes you weaker. It doesn't, I know plenty of doctors who go to psychologists and it is perfectly normal and healthy, it doesn't make you crazy. I mean premed is VERY stressful, and some people who may wear their emotions on their sleeves may get very overwhelmed. Look into complimentary mental counseling, my school has one and I go there whenever I feel overwhelmed, you have to make time for your fitness. Decompress, talk, cry, it is PERFECTLY NORMAL! I actually have a friend who believed that going to a pscyhologist or psychiatrist eliminated them from the running of medical schools. I have talked to several ADcoms who all say that that's a hunk of BS. Put your mental health ahead of anything else, because nothing is worth you having anxiety/panic attacks. You deserve better.
23. Ok let's get to less serious stuff now :p Let's talk about textbooks. Textbooks are expensive as all hell, and with debt you will incur in medical school and UG (unless you do armed forces like me) is high enough, you don't want to tack on too much additional debt. So, talk to old friends, get good deals on textbooks, and sell them when you are done and keep the extra cash and set it aside. I know what you may be thinking, that I need these textbooks for MCAT prep, and I say that you don't. And it isn't only me, pretty much everyone I have talked to has said that textbooks from your gen eds are WAY too detailed to use for MCAT prep, and there may not be as much overlap as you might want.
24. Don't research just for the sake of having it as a check mark. If you want to and have a passion for it, then please go and do it, that's awesome! But, thinking that you need research to get into medical school is just plain false. Do what you want, do what makes you happy and makes you grow. Personally, I'm not doing research, I volunteer and such because I love to do it, and I wasn't too personally interested in research, and that's ok.
25. Let's talk about the college that you select. To be honest, I'd rather a 3.5 at a university like the one I am at, rather than a 3.8 from a university that is much lower on the totem pole. But, there is an addendum to this... You need to gauge your own talents and abilities, don't just go to an upper level school just because you got in, do some research about their types of classes, material, etc. Does this seem like a place you can maintain a 3.5 or higher? If not, you should probably swallow your pride and go to a more manageable university. Because, believe it or not, the UG world doesn't make as much difference as you might think at the mid to midlower level. Besides, if you learn well from that lower echelon of schooling and do better on the MCAT than the kid that goes to Yale, and have a considerably higher GPA with much more free time to do EC's and such, you might have the upper hand on that person, it isn't the school you go to, rather what you do there.
26. Don't overload your schedule and try to rush through UG. It is as bad idea IMO. I mean, you might think "oh I can take 18 credits a semester for X semesters and graduate a year early!" But then what? And also, as you get higher up the rungs of the premed ladder, classes will only get harder, so doing this is a good way to burn out.
27. Don't let people on this forum discourage you. Every day I look on this forum and look at the people on SDN's MCAT scores and practice scores and I used to get depressed about it, or get angry asking myself why I can't get those 38s and 37s that people on here seem to get. This is a sure fire way to lose confidence in yourself. Do the best that YOU can. And also, it may seem like everyone on SDN is getting these amazing grades and scores, but you have to realize, the people who report this are the 1 percent of people who get those types of scores, and the people who get lower are afraid to report it because they are ashamed of it. Learn not be ashamed about your talents and abilities, don't compare... And for that matter, don't let anyone ANYWHERE discourage you. If you truly want to be a doctor, no matter how long it takes, you will become one, and screw everyone else who says you need to follow the "right path" to medical school. There is no one right path!
28. Try to be the type of person who takes the time to hand down advice to the younger generation like I am trying to be. Remember, doctors help people, and you should feel honored to have gotten past the prereq weedouts and be mostly willing to hand down advice. Remember where you came from.
29. Keep some notes/old tests from prereqs, you never know what might help you study for the MCAT or other future classes.
30. Remember to try to enjoy your UG years leading up to the MCAT, and try even during and after MCAT prep to enjoy yourself. The good freshman year will zip by really quickly and it will get serious pretty quickly, so remember these bullet points, and make connections, make and keep friends, allow yourself free/play time/time to decompress, and work hard and you will attain your goal.
TLDR I know I know but these are just ideas and thoughts I have had over the past 3 years and wanted to share them/write them down before they faded away.

Reactions: 30 users
@Saxappeal1

I am speechless. That post above was everything I was looking for! Thank you so much for taking the time to advise/share that with me! Mean a lot!

You rock!

Great list above, but you can simplify it: Most important thing is the MCAT. How you score on standardized tests will be used to decide admission to medical school, acceptance into residency, acceptance into fellowship. When you are in college you focus on the MCAT. When you are in medical school you focus on the USMLE Step 1 exam. The rest just isn't as important to medical school admission committees or residency committees no matter what they say (well GPA/Class rank are a close second) as there are too many applicants and they don't want to learn about each applicant until they make it through the first screening based on a single score. Do poorly on these exams and your future in medicine can be dashed. Everything else is just icing on the cake. Sad but true.

P.S. also don't get in trouble. Don't get a DUI, don't sell drugs, don't use drugs, don't get arrested. Nothing more than a traffic violation. Otherwise you'll be explaining that for the rest of your career if it doesn't keep you from progressing. (No, my record is clean lol).

Reactions: 5 users
I get it Lifetime Doc, I just didn't want to include too much about the MCAT since this is supposed to be a freshman guide, and I don't know too many freshman, even the super ambitious, who study for the MCAT freshman year. Great advice for me though lol (junior waiting for MCAT results)

I think the bottom line is that there are advantages to taking your first semester slow, getting your bearings, seeing how you're doing in classes, etc. Jumping in full speed, taking tons of classes, etc, sounds like a good idea to ambitious people, but it also is the cause of a lot of crash and burns that I see. I personally took a heavy course load, but it was all classes that I had taken for AP credit. It let me learn college education, college life, etc with minimal risk and I am really glad I did because it set me up in the right direction, gave me time to explore organizations, etc.

The biggest thing I give credit to for doing well in undergrad was not going to university right after high school. I took 3 years off, in which time I worked and travelled. By the time I started my undergrad, I'd developed a great work ethic and my maturity level was 10x higher than it was when I'd graduated high school. Plus, jobs and experiences I'd had while travelling looked great on my vet school resume.

I'm not sure if my school follows the norm or not, but the majority of pre-med, pre-vet, pre-dental students who survived to 2nd year and onward in undergrad almost all took at least a year off after graduating high school. There were high school grads that did awesome too, but there were so, so, so many who either dropped out or switched programs in 1st year.

It was mentioned above already, but a big thing to remember is don't trust the advisors!!! They mean well, but if I had blindly let them lead me through school I would have been f***ed. Start thinking now about which med schools you want to apply to and learn their application requirements inside-out. Granted, small changes might be made from year to year but for the most part they should stay relatively the same throughout your undergrad. This was huge for me. Many times advisors made recommendations that would have completely screwed my vet school application, but I knew the requirements so well that I offset any potential disasters.

Lastly, try and get to know at least some of your professors well. This will come in handy for reference letters and research opportunities.

I'm a college sophomore pre-med student right now, and the biggest thing piece of advice I can give any undergrad is PUT IN THE TIME AND EFFORT AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED. Whatever your aspirations are, if you put in the time and effort and make sacrifices, you will be rewarded.

My first semester of college I had more fun and studied less, which showed in my final grades (3.5 gpa). On my breaks I'd go out to eat with friends, disc golf, chill at the mall, and whatever. My second and third semesters of college I decided to really kick some a** and studied way more. I still hung out with my friends, but I spent a lot more time hitting the books and studying with my friends and less time just hanging out. The past two semesters I've been 4.0 and intend to keep that trend. If you put in the study time and sacrifice some fun time, it will show in a big way.

Another thing I'd recommend is get to know your professors! A lot of people get intimidated by their professors, but professors (generally, if they're good at their job) are more than happy to help and want you to succeed. They're also gateways to opportunities outside of class like internships, research, volunteer opportunities etc. Not only that, but they'll be able to write you a great LOR when all is said and done.

Last thing (I know this sounds cliché but it's 100% true) is believe in yourself! Work your butt off and believe in your abilities and you'll go far.

I wanted to say Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, having this much information about how to be successful before even starting college is really a blessing! I know many people might of not had this much info entering college so I really thought it would be super helpful for every incoming freshman on this website! Once again thank you, I re-read all of your guy's posts and I have a feeling I am going to be SUCCESSFUL! :)

I wanted to say Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, having this much information about how to be successful before even starting college is really a blessing! I know many people might of not had this much info entering college so I really thought it would be super helpful for every incoming freshman on this website! Once again thank you, I re-read all of your guy's posts and I have a feeling I am going to be SUCCESSFUL! :)

Best of luck friend, GO GET 'EM

I'm in first year pre med at the moment in Stanford and it's not as tough as it's made out to be.

I'm in first year pre med at the moment in Stanford and it's not as tough as it's made out to be.

That's reassuring! What is the most important thing you could tell a high school senior going into college as a pre-med?

That's reassuring! What is the most important thing you could tell a high school senior going into college as a pre-med?
Hey,

I'm an international student so I can't really comment on what to do in high school in the USA. However, I think to get into a good pattern of study is really helpful. Study plans and organisation go a long way.

My weak point is maths so I made sure in my last two years of school that I worked really hard on that. I'd suggest if you're weak at math to do the same as it's in a lot of the premed courses like organic chemistry and calculus.

In terms of grades in high school, I had to get nearly straight As and a 2300 SAT to get in to Stanford but that was as an international student so I don't know if it's the same as an American student. That got me a full ride too.

I wish you the best of luck and anymore questions go ahead and ask. I'm just getting used to premed so I'll be more help once I get more experience behind me.

In terms of grades in high school, I had to get nearly straight As and a 2300 SAT to get in to Stanford but that was as an international student so I don't know if it's the same as an American student. That got me a full ride too.
Nope it didn't. Stanford doesn't have merit scholarships (just like the Ivies), so you got need-based aid based on your family income. You can be bottom of the accepted class and get full aid; you could be top of the accepted class and have to pay full fare.

I'd suggest if you're weak at math to do the same as it's in a lot of the premed courses like organic chemistry and calculus.
There's math in orgo? Where?

Reactions: 3 users

That's completely irrelevant to anything going on in this thread. As is your SAT score, your A's in high school, and the fact that you got that you got an academic full ride to Stanford (which is BS as moop pointed out). OP was wondering what to do to have a successful freshman year of college. Not asking you to arrogantly talk about Stanford and list your meaningless high school stats.

Reactions: 2 users
No. We are all very interested in how a freshman premed is doing at Stanford.

Well they did apparently get the first academic full ride to Stanford so.... :bow:

New experiences, not necessarily alcohol and party related - but those are also good options.

In premed, everyone knows someone who will get a 98 on the test that everyone else gets a 67 on

What if you are that person who gets the 98? :p

I'll be starting med school in July. Here are my two cents

1. Start now. Don't wait until you are in your sophomore, junior, senior year to start doing well. Start now. You don't want to end up at the end with a low GPA and scrambling to figure out what to do next. Start now shadowing. I've seen too many people put this off until their senior year.

2. Don't freak out. I had a panic attack freshman year every time I got anything less than an A on a test/quiz. Don't do this. You just look like a douche, and it doesn't help anyway. If you get a bad grade, figure out what went wrong, and fix it next time.

3. Get to know your professors. They will be writing your letters of recommendation in a few years. If you know them personally, it makes for a much nicer letter.

I'd like to add an important item;

Show initiative consistently, whenever possible and don't stop showing initiative. I had small opportunities blossom into bigger opportunities because I showed up earlier, stayed later and did things (within reason) without being prompted. I also had opportunities shrivel up because I failed to continue showing initiative. If you bust your ass to get an opportunity don't let it slip away by becoming complacent.

The two posts above mine are very good advice. Everyone is looking for the magic answer to getting an acceptance. The answer is pretty boring. Study hard, get good grades, crush the MCAT, volunteer, shadow, work in a lab, and have fun with some interesting hobbies. That's it! The really important thing is to make sure you are enjoying it. If you enjoy it and you are stimulated by the process it will be relatively easy, and your commitment and interest will show in your essays when you apply. You should constantly be reevaluating if medicine is the right choice for you.

Last edited:
I'll be starting med school in July. Here are my two cents

1. Start now. Don't wait until you are in your sophomore, junior, senior year to start doing well. Start now. You don't want to end up at the end with a low GPA and scrambling to figure out what to do next. Start now shadowing. I've seen too many people put this off until their senior year.

2. Don't freak out. I had a panic attack freshman year every time I got anything less than an A on a test/quiz. Don't do this. You just look like a douche, and it doesn't help anyway. If you get a bad grade, figure out what went wrong, and fix it next time.

3. Get to know your professors. They will be writing your letters of recommendation in a few years. If you know them personally, it makes for a much nicer letter.

I'll be starting med school in June (MSTP starts early). This is my advice:

1. You are going to go through the most AMAZING time of your life. There is nothing quite like undergrad and while you may think you want to be a doctor one day you should still keep your mind open. Even if you end up going for medicine all of those other experiences will help immensely. There are tons of premed applicants but not many who've worked at say EPIC or Intuitive Surg. or have the potential to expand or make current medicine better. A fellow interviewee was a sales rep at google for a long time before returning to medicine. Smaller schools don't care about this as much since they just want a billion primary care docs but the big schools value these insights immensely.

2. Shadowing is great. I personally started way too late and it was a scramble to get it done. But, the most important thing is to be exposed to medicine and current topics. Have your parents buy you a subscription to new england journal of medicine or something. You should start early but you don't have to start freshman year.

3. Grades do matter they just don't matter as much as you think they do. A fellow interviewee got accepted in like October to a MD/PhD program with a 3.0 (note thats a FULL RIDE to medicine). I don't think any of my fellow MSTP interviewees that I got an opportunity to meet had 4.0s but MSTP is different. Our mcats are higher and its mostly about your research experience. Even in pure-MD grades and mcat will get you that interview slot but it is who you are which will get you accepted.

4. I know this is gonna sound a bit strange but challenge yourself. A common saying is that undergrad is the place to learn how to learn. So challenge yourself and explore fields. Don't just take the required classes. This paid off immensely for me. Medicine is expanding just look at subjects like narrative medicine championed by humanities majors. Sociology may become a solid requirement soon.

5. Build a meaningful relationship with your professors. Just showing up to class isn't enough unless you are at a horrid school. You don't even have to do well in those classes. You do have to be engaged which is why once again you shouldn't just do the minimum coursework but study what interests you. Writing a LoR takes a lot of knowledge about a student and that requires getting to know a student personally. The best LoRs are often from research mentors not advisers.

Congrats on graduating high school and starting college soon. You are the future and for those of you who pursue medicine I'll look forward to graduating from med school with you (yayyyy MSTP.....).

if you want math + organic try physical organic chem its a pretty big field right now

You can incorporate math into any field at an advanced level. You're right, but physical organic chem isn't necessary for anyone trying to go to medical school. That's a class to pursue for personal interest.

HACKING COLLEGE
  • Study everyday and be sure to understand the material. This normally takes 2 to 3 hours per day. 1 to 2 if you're a fast learner.
  • Record your lecture.
  • Always stay ahead of your lecture class, you can use your lecture class as a review = sweet deal.
  • Take your weekends free (friday and saturday, get drunk, hobbie, etc.).
  • Build a smart courses schedule (if you're a morning person or not, etc.).
  • Get laid... srs.
  • Be responsible.
  • If you fail in something, use it as motivation for the next thing.
MCAT
  • After the end of each year, review all the material you studied during the year (this will make the studying for the MCAT really smoother).
  • When it's time to prepare for the MCAT, it's better to study for it during the summer and take the exam in August/Sept.
Source: student of a top 5 college

Last edited:
A couple of nuggets of wisdom I have learned in UG, mostly the hard way:
1. Don't always trust advisers. I know that they have good intentions but sometimes they are just plain misinformed. I always found that the best advisers are your peers and older students.
2. Don't choose a major simply because you think you will be good at it; first of all because you might not enjoy it as much as you think you will, and secondly you may not be as good as it as you might think. I chose math because it had street appeal and I was very good at math in high school. Breezed through Calc2, Calc 3, Diff Eq, but then the first proof based class kicked me to the curb....passed by 1 point. I hated being a math major, I just heard early on (from a premed adviser) that math looks really good to medical schools. That's another thing I can't stress enough... ALL MAJORS ARE EQUAL! It is what you do with those majors that count... as long as you complete the prereqs and do well on the MCAT there is literally no difference between the majors. Do something you will have fun in. I actually switched majors halfway through my sophomore year to Neuropsych, and since then I haven't looked back.
3. On a follow-up note, make sure you take classes that will help with your MCAT. I don't know exactly how the 2015+ MCAT will work with its prereq requirements, but just know that there are concepts on the MCAT that can be supplemented with various classes like microbio (not generally a premed prereq, just a recommended class) genetics, etc.
4. Be social. I just spent 2.5 months isolated studying for my MCAT, and let me tell you, it was a nightmare. Time went by so slowly and I felt quite depressed.
5. Do EC's that you will love and learn from. There is no cookie-cutter way to get into medical school...everyone is different. Doing something unique to you that you love to do and having a passion for it goes a long way, in fact adcoms look for things like that, like me for example. I am in an acapella group and I have learned from it and loved it so much.
6. VOLUNTEER. And by volunteering I don't mean get the standard cookie-cutter hospital gig sending files places and running test tubes. Do volunteering that you really want to do, it can be medical or non-medical. I volunteer at an elementary school and have been there for the past 3 years, and I have gained a lot from it.
7. Don't worry about things like the MCAT and shadowing and research in your freshman year. Take this time to have fun...believe me your UG will quickly degenerate into a whole bunch of studying-related seriousness, and you should really enjoy your easy year in between high school and sophomore year.
8. With everything you do, be consistent. Adcoms love to see a 3 year project in which you have progressed and really grown as a person over multiple little week or weekend projects.
9. Use ratemyprofessor.com, but use it with caution. Supplement this usage with asking the older and current students if there is anything you can find out about this professor you will have.
10. Now let's talk about professors.... Like this has been repeated to death, I will now jump onto the podium: Bad professors can make or break you. If possible, avoid bad professors or professors that you think will be too hard for you in a certain class, there is no shame in it. Don't be afraid to sacrifice beauty sleep for the better professor/the higher grade. On that note, if the professor is unavoidable, don't sulk, because you could possibly get something great out of that class... for example, I have had several professors who make their tests way too hard or who are just way too tough, and after surviving their classes, I have found studying for the MCAT to be much easier since these professors taught/tested at levels that are much harder than MCAT assessment material.
11. With that note, be organized, and keep several notebooks/binders about various activities and such that you are doing to build up your resume. I only say this because the time will come where it is time to report this stuff to AAMCAS/AAMCOMAS and you can't remember that one summer activity you did back in 2015. Also, as a follow-up, keep in contact with professors who you think really enjoyed your company/you made a great impression on, because the letter of recommendation could go a long way, even with professors you have in your freshman year. I didn't start gathering LOR's until my sophomore year, and there was this one professor who really liked me and I was the top student, but by the time I remembered, too much time had passed. Be organized, keep notes and keep those type of things in mind and on paper so you can remember and feel relieved about it.
12. Now let's talk about grades. Guys, I understand that we were the 3.9 people in high school, but I am going to break this down right now, that most of you will not be these people in premed in UG, it is just the sad truth. The most important note to take away from that is to not get discouraged. Realize that a 3.5 is where the average MD applicant sits at and sometimes the lower GPAs will get in as well. On that note, I want to talk about comparison to your friends. In premed, everyone knows someone who will get a 98 on the test that everyone else gets a 67 on, and to be honest, the best thing you can do is be happy for that person... getting jealous or whining about it gets you nowhere. Don't compare yourself to your friends, whether they are doing better than you or worse, because if they are doing worse, and you skulk to them about your grades which are higher than theirs, how do you think it makes them feel? The best thing you can do is just try your best and try try try try to be humble, and that I can't stress enough in EVERY part of your application and as an applicant. Adcoms LOVE humility, and so do professors, friends, etc... just makes for an easier time all around.
13. Ok, now let's talk about weed out classes/prereqs. Guys, premed is by no stretch of the imagination a cake-walk, there are several really mean and nasty classes you have to trek through and it might get you down. Some professors will love to, and I'm not joking about this one, have an average close to FIFTY PERCENT for a test. Don't let this get you down! I repeat, don't let this get you down! These types of classes are mostly built on curves, so you learn to base your grade off of the average. In almost every single weed out class I have been in, the averages on tests have been in the very low sixties or high fifties. This is even true if you are that rare breed of person who does get that 3.9 in UG, there are still some classes that can knock you on your butt. Do everything you can to study for these classes, but please don't let it make you think you won't be a future doctor. I'll make you guys feel better. Back in my freshman year, I was taking Gen Chem 1 and I studied like hell for the first test, and I got a 52. The average was a 56. I felt very discouraged by this and felt a pit in my stomach every time I thought about Gen Chem 1. I dropped out of it, using a special policy they had to avoid a W on my record, which I'm very happy about. I used the extra time after I dropped to really build up my foundation...the next time I took Chem 1 I ended up with 80 92 80 89, for an A-in the class for which the averages were still in the high fifties. If you feel like you need to drop a class, don't think it is the end of the world. But you do need to take it seriously.
14. Following 13 up, I'd like to talk about the degree of seriousness you treat classes with. Ok, so these weed out classes I mentioned, you may think you have an advantage because you got a 5 on AP chem or a 7 on IB bio. WRONG! While this may be true for some, others develop too much confidence for these tests, and walk in, not be familiar with the particular format, and end up with a 50, I have seen this plenty of times in every single weed-out class I have taken. I can't stress this enough.. TAKE EVERY WEED OUT OR DIFFICULT CLASS WITH THE UTMOST SERIOUSNESS, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE ANY OF THESE TYPES OF CLASSES!!! I have and let me tell you, it came back to haunt me.
15. On that note, let's talk about AP/IB/CC credit. It is awesome in the UG world to not have to take the basic gen eds that everyone else takes that didn't get your credit. Well, let me be honest, sometimes it is worth it, and sometimes it isn't. For example, if you get AP credit for ENC 1101/1102, that's fine, more time to spend on premed stuff. But, be cautious with allocating your AP/IB/CC credits for your premed prereqs. First of all, some medical schools REQUIRE that you take the courses at the UG school you go to, and you might be taken aback to find that out your junior year in college. Secondly, if you are allowed to use these credits, I would still recommend caution. The reason I'm saying this is because, for example, you may have had the foundation for AP bio back in 9th grade, but let's say you get credit for Bio 1, and you take Bio 2 your freshman year fall semester, it has been 3+ years since you took bio1, and maybe you don't remember anymore! Don't use your AP/IB/CC credits, especially for premed, just simply for the sake of getting more credits.
16. Join a pre-med group. This one may seem like common sense, but let me say something about it first. The pre-med groups may not seem like a lot of fun, and in all honesty kind of suck sometimes, but even if you don't like the people in these types of organizations, you can still make great networking connections and learn about all sorts of opportunities, and even learn about premed stuff that you need to be doing to get into medical school.
17. Make study groups/have study friends. Again, seems like common sense, but you really should do this. Standing alone in a class doesn't make you more of a man/woman. Plus, I have found that study groups have covered my gaps about areas I may have been weak on.
18. Develop a study method that works for you. You may find that it isn't the same one you have had in high school, because you may find out that it may not work in UG. I personally used old tests and notecards, and a boatload of practice problems to solidify my test taking abilities.
19. On that note, let's talk about test methods. Guys, some classes may seem near impossible, but there are methods to learn about certain teacher's testing methods, one way is to get old tests from old friends, get advice from old friends, etc. You may think that the professors change their tests , and they do, but they sometimes like to use good questions that they developed back in the day, sometimes even verbatim to make their tests. As long as the way you are getting these old tests is legal and ethical, this is probably the best way I have used to study for my tests.
20. Don't let the pressure get to you and let you make stupid/bad decisions. Again, seems like I'm beating a dead horse with this common intuition crap, but hear me out, this is actually very serious. I'm mainly talking about taking shortcuts like taking online classes simply because "every test is open note." NO THEY ARENT. While some online classes allow for your notes and such (it will generally explicitly say it in the syllabus,) some others say right out what constitutes cheating. Guys, we are trying to be doctors, and doctors are supposed to be a moral beacon in the community, and it is very important to have a clean conscience. True story: I was doing some work for one of my classes and I skipped my psychology class that day. There was an extra credit question being asked in class on the clicker database. My friend asked me if I wanted the answer, I told him no because that's unethical, I didn't feel good about it, I never did stuff like that, I always knew that it was unethical. So, grades come out and I get an A- in psychology, missing an A by the EXACT number of points that extra credit question was, no lie. I was a little frustrated at first but then I was relieved to know I truly got the grade I deserved :)
21. On the note of taking short cuts, I want to address something just as serious as this. Drug abuse. Now I'm not talking about heroin, crack or meth, but rather Adderall, Rittalin, etc. I understand that some of you guys might have ADD/ADHD legitimately, but that does NOT give you the right to take a bunch of adderall to cram for an exam for like, 30 hours. I have actually seen this happen, and let me tell you, it worries me for a bulk of reasons. First off, that isn't fair to the kids who take the legitimate route and study for a week or 2 weeks before a test. Secondly, it is VERY DANGEROUS. Don't do it, please. It also, in my opinion, tells me that you might not be the best person to give a drug license to, honestly.
22. Keep in shape. Physical fitness and mental fitness are very important for maintaining a great feel during UG. Don't gain the freshman 15, do what I did and lose the freshman 55, and then bulk back up those 55 in muscle like I did if you so wish (you don't have to, I just like telling people I did that because it was hard as hell to do it and it was one hell of a 2 year journey.) Also, mental fitness is very important. People, don't feel like going to a therapist makes you weaker. It doesn't, I know plenty of doctors who go to psychologists and it is perfectly normal and healthy, it doesn't make you crazy. I mean premed is VERY stressful, and some people who may wear their emotions on their sleeves may get very overwhelmed. Look into complimentary mental counseling, my school has one and I go there whenever I feel overwhelmed, you have to make time for your fitness. Decompress, talk, cry, it is PERFECTLY NORMAL! I actually have a friend who believed that going to a pscyhologist or psychiatrist eliminated them from the running of medical schools. I have talked to several ADcoms who all say that that's a hunk of BS. Put your mental health ahead of anything else, because nothing is worth you having anxiety/panic attacks. You deserve better.
23. Ok let's get to less serious stuff now :p Let's talk about textbooks. Textbooks are expensive as all hell, and with debt you will incur in medical school and UG (unless you do armed forces like me) is high enough, you don't want to tack on too much additional debt. So, talk to old friends, get good deals on textbooks, and sell them when you are done and keep the extra cash and set it aside. I know what you may be thinking, that I need these textbooks for MCAT prep, and I say that you don't. And it isn't only me, pretty much everyone I have talked to has said that textbooks from your gen eds are WAY too detailed to use for MCAT prep, and there may not be as much overlap as you might want.
24. Don't research just for the sake of having it as a check mark. If you want to and have a passion for it, then please go and do it, that's awesome! But, thinking that you need research to get into medical school is just plain false. Do what you want, do what makes you happy and makes you grow. Personally, I'm not doing research, I volunteer and such because I love to do it, and I wasn't too personally interested in research, and that's ok.
25. Let's talk about the college that you select. To be honest, I'd rather a 3.5 at a university like the one I am at, rather than a 3.8 from a university that is much lower on the totem pole. But, there is an addendum to this... You need to gauge your own talents and abilities, don't just go to an upper level school just because you got in, do some research about their types of classes, material, etc. Does this seem like a place you can maintain a 3.5 or higher? If not, you should probably swallow your pride and go to a more manageable university. Because, believe it or not, the UG world doesn't make as much difference as you might think at the mid to midlower level. Besides, if you learn well from that lower echelon of schooling and do better on the MCAT than the kid that goes to Yale, and have a considerably higher GPA with much more free time to do EC's and such, you might have the upper hand on that person, it isn't the school you go to, rather what you do there.
26. Don't overload your schedule and try to rush through UG. It is as bad idea IMO. I mean, you might think "oh I can take 18 credits a semester for X semesters and graduate a year early!" But then what? And also, as you get higher up the rungs of the premed ladder, classes will only get harder, so doing this is a good way to burn out.
27. Don't let people on this forum discourage you. Every day I look on this forum and look at the people on SDN's MCAT scores and practice scores and I used to get depressed about it, or get angry asking myself why I can't get those 38s and 37s that people on here seem to get. This is a sure fire way to lose confidence in yourself. Do the best that YOU can. And also, it may seem like everyone on SDN is getting these amazing grades and scores, but you have to realize, the people who report this are the 1 percent of people who get those types of scores, and the people who get lower are afraid to report it because they are ashamed of it. Learn not be ashamed about your talents and abilities, don't compare... And for that matter, don't let anyone ANYWHERE discourage you. If you truly want to be a doctor, no matter how long it takes, you will become one, and screw everyone else who says you need to follow the "right path" to medical school. There is no one right path!
28. Try to be the type of person who takes the time to hand down advice to the younger generation like I am trying to be. Remember, doctors help people, and you should feel honored to have gotten past the prereq weedouts and be mostly willing to hand down advice. Remember where you came from.
29. Keep some notes/old tests from prereqs, you never know what might help you study for the MCAT or other future classes.
30. Remember to try to enjoy your UG years leading up to the MCAT, and try even during and after MCAT prep to enjoy yourself. The good freshman year will zip by really quickly and it will get serious pretty quickly, so remember these bullet points, and make connections, make and keep friends, allow yourself free/play time/time to decompress, and work hard and you will attain your goal.
TLDR I know I know but these are just ideas and thoughts I have had over the past 3 years and wanted to share them/write them down before they faded away.
wow - thank you so much - all of us stalking this forum - we thank you

Okay so students from Class of 2014 HS are going to be graduating here in a little bit.

Most of us are going to a CC or 4 year University, focused on becoming physicians, dentists, optometrists, and other types medical professionals.

Short and simple, I was wondering how we can make our first year successful as pre-meds.

Certain EC's we should get involved with right away? Any study/life skills you guys want to share? Basically wanting to know how successful pre-med students in the past have started off their undergraduate years.

Thanks

Didn't read the rest of the thread so I might repeat some information.

Concerning schoolwork:
You guys are all probably decent students or naturally bright. My biggest tip is to actually attend class.... I still have this issue where I won't attend class to do "other," "more important" things. But one time it really did bite me in the ass because we covered stuff not in the book. (The trick to get around this, however, is to attend class once a week or so just to double check that you can't teach it to yourself later).

Concerning EC's
1. Join a couple of the largest/most active groups on campus that interest you and stick to it! It's a great way to meet people (actually important) and get leadership roles in the future (resume important).
2. If you're interested in research it is possible to get into a lab freshman year. Look at the different departments that you're interested in, and send out emails to professors with research that interests you. Try to get an idea of what their work is about and what they have recently done and relate that to why you want to work for them. A lot of the time they don't like premeds so don't start off with "Hi I'm premed" or something equally distasteful.
3. Pick up a new hobby. There's so many interesting classes and clubs on most campuses. Again, this is a great way to meet people, particularly people outside the premed mindset.

Tips for life in general:
I think college takes a lot more self motivation than high school, especially if your class sizes are large. There is no daily homework and since the classes go so fast you have to read outside of class on your own. Don't get behind.

Try to set a schedule for yourself. The people I know who can do that are more productive than I am, for sure.

Have fun. It's college, yo.

Lumps xx

Don't let senioritis continue to first semester undergrad.
Don't get in trouble with the law.
Don't overload on classes the first term, as you're adjusting to college.
Start doing extracurriculars in medicine early, get a feel for the field and decide whether you still like it or not.
If you pledge a fraternity, don't let it ruin your grades, studies, and permanent record.
Be smart, don't be a drunken irresponsible idiot.

If you have good habits in high school, you should be fine at he university level. People may this entire process seem much more difficult than it really is.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but learn how to study efficiently. Try to figure out what works best for you (learning in groups vs. learning alone, reading slides vs. taking hand written notes). Also, if you're going to study, disengage yourself from distractions (facebook, etc). I can't tell you how many people will spend "8 hours" in the library, while in reality they probably put 1 quality hour in. Go in there, get your crap done, and then you can socialize/browse facebook all you want.

My freshman year of undergrad was brutal and I knew that I needed to improve my study habits. I can't tell you how happy I am that I did this - classes became exponentially easier once I figured out how to optimize studying.

Most important thing:

Talk to the people ahead of you and find out who the easy profs are. Read those professor review sites, take notes and keep up with it. A lot of pre-meds have this sense of "I'm so smart, I'll get an A with anyone."

Don't be that guy. Lock up the A's where you can. You're going to learn MCAT level O-Chem from any teacher.

The people ahead of you typically have old tests, quizzes, etc. Someone even had the teacher's version of the Physics solution manual when I was in college. You couldn't buy it in book stores. Life saver.

I'll be starting med school in June (MSTP starts early). This is my advice:

1. You are going to go through the most AMAZING time of your life. There is nothing quite like undergrad and while you may think you want to be a doctor one day you should still keep your mind open. Even if you end up going for medicine all of those other experiences will help immensely. There are tons of premed applicants but not many who've worked at say EPIC or Intuitive Surg. or have the potential to expand or make current medicine better. A fellow interviewee was a sales rep at google for a long time before returning to medicine. Smaller schools don't care about this as much since they just want a billion primary care docs but the big schools value these insights immensely.

2. Shadowing is great. I personally started way too late and it was a scramble to get it done. But, the most important thing is to be exposed to medicine and current topics. Have your parents buy you a subscription to new england journal of medicine or something. You should start early but you don't have to start freshman year.

3. Grades do matter they just don't matter as much as you think they do. A fellow interviewee got accepted in like October to a MD/PhD program with a 3.0 (note thats a FULL RIDE to medicine). I don't think any of my fellow MSTP interviewees that I got an opportunity to meet had 4.0s but MSTP is different. Our mcats are higher and its mostly about your research experience. Even in pure-MD grades and mcat will get you that interview slot but it is who you are which will get you accepted.

4. I know this is gonna sound a bit strange but challenge yourself. A common saying is that undergrad is the place to learn how to learn. So challenge yourself and explore fields. Don't just take the required classes. This paid off immensely for me. Medicine is expanding just look at subjects like narrative medicine championed by humanities majors. Sociology may become a solid requirement soon.

5. Build a meaningful relationship with your professors. Just showing up to class isn't enough unless you are at a horrid school. You don't even have to do well in those classes. You do have to be engaged which is why once again you shouldn't just do the minimum coursework but study what interests you. Writing a LoR takes a lot of knowledge about a student and that requires getting to know a student personally. The best LoRs are often from research mentors not advisers.

Congrats on graduating high school and starting college soon. You are the future and for those of you who pursue medicine I'll look forward to graduating from med school with you (yayyyy MSTP.....).

May I ask how many credit hours do you have?