Gunner training > FA for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As I just wrap up M1, I honestly give me 110% props to gunner training (an online FA in my opinion) and just digital prep in general...Call me crazy, but I've completely resorted to it as my prime source for Step 1 Prep. One premise I think should be accepted off the bat is that FA and GT don't teach the stuff (you do that in your courses), but most importantly when it comes down to it:

Major reason-
-> Step 1 is the biggest exam, implication-wise, that you'll take in med school, and i think it goes without saying long-term careful prep is helpful...it doesn't mean don't get hammered, not workout etc...it just means if you're shooting for a top specialty, then killing Step 1 merely requires work upfront. And I hear the chatter of "oh it'll all come back to you," but what if it doesn't and why take the risk.
-> The simple idea of incessantly quizzing of yourself (conveniently on your phone, laptop, ipad) with GT, rating questions, and hammering in essentially FA material consistently home helps you focus in on your weaknesses...such that by the time you're doing real Step 1 prep, it's pretty nice that you have an avenue to purely focus in on your weaknesses for review, while giving yourself a lot of time to hit up all the Qbanks down the road. You know the stuff well, give it a 5 and don't see the question in a month or two, if you don't know it, give it a 1 and see it in 2 days...it's plain simple.

Minor Reasons-
I think the minor reasons below help me just further support an venue of -active, -organized, and -integratie learning.
1.) Annotating First Aid sucks...there's too much to WRITE especially when there's a lot of omission and first aid can't teach; why not just TYPE, much easier, it in the notes section of GT. Sure it's a little box but there's not much to add since GT is relatively comprehensive already. And by typing, you can rapidly jot down your thought process, helping you learn it better.
2.) Gunner training encompasses literally MOST of FA AND has an anatomy section.
3.) Gunner training is VISUAL...If the picture is not there, you can reference, copy/paste links of path diseases, youtube clips, google image, etc...on the notes section. For example, how many of us referenced kaplan, shotgun histo, pathoma, or blue histo or webpath or other websites at times? While you absorb the words FA teaches, it's helpful to reference the VISUAL and teaching aspects of that knowledge. The notes option of essentially annotating a visual/interactive reference/link/video to TEACH you the stuff (since afterall, a major error that people make is memorizing and not really learning FA). It's sweet to type on the side "oh just look at this kaplan vid" as a note on the side if say im doing a qbank and forgot a concept and just load it up all on my comp. I think this is the best way for you to get the best of both worlds- the straight up memorizing aspect (what FA and GT emphasize) and the teach-yourself-all over in case you forgot (coursework in med school vs. GT + review vids/the entire internet).
==> For example, this is coming from someone who tried to use Micro Made simple and MicroCards for Micro...the knowledge of pure "words" and silly photos was awesome, but I simply did not know what these stains, morphology, agars, imaging, clinical manifestations, of all these bugs and diseases I was voraciously memorizing and reading about simply looked like or forgot. Medicine's not black and white, simply put. I think the time put memorizing and learning these visual black and white tidbits would've been better served actually learning what it really looks like-histologically, radiographically, etc...

The only disadvantage of GT is that you can't DRAW stuff, i.e. if a picture helps you remember something and the notes section may not be super fancy but I anticipate there will be upgrades down the road. Also, I'm not sure if how much strain it'll cause on your eyes.

This goes without saying, however, I do cross-reference FA with GT but its mostly to pick up on the mneumonics FA offers and stuff to add, but for the most part, I'm not adding much to GT. I'll also probably just integrate Pathoma with GT/ use Goljan auido + RR as a sole source, and maybe BRS phys, + an excel error log, but that's about it. I think, in general, when reviewing for the boards, it's good to have your set of "teaching tools"-DIT, kaplan, Goljan audio stuff on the side and the stuff you need to review- an annotated GT. It's honestly awesome just to have a shared resource on the touch of my phone, laptop, or ipad.

In general, it is super time consuming (and it is, so it's great to integrate it with your coursework) as I am annotating stuff from my microcards that both FA nor GT, but I think the hard work pays off provides a narrow, organized, consolidated, efficient approach so when you get to Step prep or even rotations and Step 2 (which contains a ton of Step 1 stuff), you're not hedging your bet on "peaking" or "stuff coming back to you" ...just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the informative post - I'm thinking to start GT and it is good to hear this form someone who has spent substantial time with it .

Gunner training > FA for Step 1
Fail.

You can't go from asking tons of questions about the program one week ago to becoming an expert and making recommendations.

7 days ago...
Does Gunner training substitute first aid? (how similar are they?)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=910738

After some reading, can it be concluded that gunner training is basically an online-effective memory retaining version of First Aid? Both sources first and foremost are review sources and I agree they aren't meant to teach. But what I like the most about GT is the interface and I get to add notes and links of pics/youtube or kaplan clips/reference something to check out on a stuff that I do not understand for example so I can easily navigate and clarify my weaknesses. I think an online visual, quizzable interface in general facilitates my learning quite a lot. Yes I agree that GT doesn't teach, but neither does First Aid. At the same time, I do keep a set of background sources (ie.- pathoma, microcards) just to cover my initial bases.

I was wondering, is it a smart idea to annotate leftover tidbits from first aid and potentially lecture notes as well ONTO GT? Is GT that comprehensive because I hear so much of people who annotate lecture notes onto first aid, etc...and I was wondring if GT can simply suffice? I think what ultimately teaches is problems, whether that may be GT or problem books.

Thanks.

I stopped reading after the "As I wrap up MS1"

also way too long, theres an entire thread about this already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to give an unbiased opinion, thats all dudes...all I'm suggesting is an approach of practicality for the long-term mindset...I'm just basing it off a personal experience of what logically would seem to work. Personally, the way med school lectures are taught (and this is coming from a top 10 school) and the idea of successive knowledge is kinda painful. I define practical as having a consolidated, comprehensive, organized approach with a strategy of repetition, which is where GT comes in handy. There's only so much time to go through x number of resources and do y number of problems. Why not minimize x and maximize y?

Just wanted to give an unbiased opinion, thats all dudes...all I'm suggesting is an approach of practicality for the long-term mindset...I'm just basing it off a personal experience of what logically would seem to work. Personally, the way med school lectures are taught (and this is coming from a top 10 school) and the idea of successive knowledge is kinda painful. I define practical as having a consolidated, comprehensive, organized approach with a strategy of repetition, which is where GT comes in handy. There's only so much time to go through x number of resources and do y number of problems. Why not minimize x and maximize y?

Tried gunner training...way too time consuming...just work hard during the first 2yrs and you should be golden to pwn step 1 with 6 weeks of cramming...

I think as an MS1, you pretty much have very little idea what it's like to study for Step 1. Nor should you care at this point.

It's not that I'm studying for step I, really nor am I going ahead of myself and doing 2nd year material...What I am wisely doing is organizing everything and reviewing first year material- which yes I know is a minor portion of the test First year went by fast and I don't think I simply got the time to gauge the depth and difficulty of step I tests so I might as well put in a few hours a day learning the stuff better, whether its for board or for 2nd year, can't hurt.

As far as GA vs. FA, hey everyone knows their own intellectual capacity and weaknesses by now and I'm in the boat of someone who needed an entire year for MCAT prep because of having to relearn, learn, or think about things in a different angle by tackling different questions...fortunately for Step I its more correlative of hard work than intelligence and something I genuinely think a long-term strategy is fruitful. That's all I'm saying.